Which version of Xbox One as secondary?

Associate
I game on a PC, but recently have subscribed up to Game Pass Ultimate (considering the relatively cheap subscription).

There's a lot of content which isn't available on the PC and I have been thinking about picking up a secondhand XBone (S or X) so that this can be accessed and so that the kids don't hog my rig.

W don't have a 4K or HDR display (as yet) so that scores heavily in favour of an S, but there are some "enhanced games" that would be played at 60fps.

Also, how much should I be realistically paying for these considering a new console release is on the horizon?

Choices, choices...

Associate
I could be totally wrong about this, so please correct me if I am. But I'm sure I read the other day the S is just 1080p. But the X is 4k, but lower resolutions (1440p and 1080p) are just downscaled 4k, which gives a better image over standard 1080p?

Genuinely can't tell if I'm making that up or if I did read it the other day haha.

It all boils down to how much you'll play it, if you think it'll get lots of use, get the X. Worst case, get the S, play it for a month. If you enjoy it then you could sell it for pretty much what you paid for it and get the X for any future proofing.

Soldato
I could be totally wrong about this, so please correct me if I am. But I'm sure I read the other day the S is just 1080p. But the X is 4k, but lower resolutions (1440p and 1080p) are just downscaled 4k, which gives a better image over standard 1080p?

Genuinely can't tell if I'm making that up or if I did read it the other day haha.

It all boils down to how much you'll play it, if you think it'll get lots of use, get the X. Worst case, get the S, play it for a month. If you enjoy it then you could sell it for pretty much what you paid for it and get the X for any future proofing.

It depends on the game. Some downscale 4K, some offer 60fps instead of 30 and some have extra visuals.

Associate
I'd go with the X, and not for the 4k, just for the slight increase in hardware. The standard XB and S have same hardware which isn't really up for the job of the UI demands imho. The X is backwards compatible still, and it runs games better generally. With a decent list of older games being optimised for the X, getting the X is a no brainer if you've got the cash and just want to sit down and smash through all the available games available on the pass. If you're not going to use it much, i'd bin the whole idea tbh. Even a mere £100 for a 2nd hand standard XB1 isn't worth it, but i don't know of any games that are available on XB and not on PC, let alone ones that i'd want.

Soldato
I was in the same boat. Bought an All Digital for £90 over Black Friday weekend. No regrets; Game Pass gives me enough to play that I haven't felt the need to buy any games yet.

But that price is long gone. If I was looking now, ~£200 for a used One X off the MM seems really good value compared to the S.

Soldato
The S is 4K as well as the X. Considering the price difference between the two I would go for an S as a second device. There have been some deals recently where the S could be had for £100.

The S is 1080p HDR and plays 4K UHD discs but its not 4K in games like the X.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I did buy then cancel an order for the SAD just after Christmas because I ultimately did want the flexibility of the drive and used physical games to buy or borrow (I think if I already had a disk based XBone then it would have been a no-brainer as a secondary).

I'd go with the X, and not for the 4k, just for the slight increase in hardware. The standard XB and S have same hardware which isn't really up for the job of the UI demands imho. The X is backwards compatible still, and it runs games better generally. With a decent list of older games being optimised for the X, getting the X is a no brainer if you've got the cash and just want to sit down and smash through all the available games available on the pass. If you're not going to use it much, i'd bin the whole idea tbh. Even a mere £100 for a 2nd hand standard XB1 isn't worth it, but i don't know of any games that are available on XB and not on PC, let alone ones that i'd want.
It'll probably be used more by the kids and there's additional appropriate content only available on the console that will keep them entertained for the couple of years that I have the subscription for.

Associate
In that case then, give them the OG box :p

But jokes aside, if the use is there, for the extra cash for an X is defo worth it. Being an XB1 owner myself, i'd spend the extra if i knew it was going to get used.

Good condition XB1s are a mere £100 + 200ish for the X. I find consoles are just a gradual cost decline over time as opposed to dropping majorly in cost come new gens. Unlike PC, games are always abundantly available.
*In the physical sense

Associate
Shame you couldn't take advantage of x1x deals before christmas. Agree with above x1x if possible especially since Microsoft has said there will be cross generation games (1st party) when the Series X initially launches.

Soldato
20% off Amazon Warehouse at the moment. So potential for a bargain. Last thing I bought off there was still in cellophane.

Back
Top Bottom