Which way to go...

Associate
Currently run a socket 939 setup, Opteron 170, 2gb corsair mem, DFI Lanparty sr motherboard, now I have been fancying a move to an intel platform and a quad core processor, need to do quite a bit of encoding work over the next month or so. However, being a cheap skate have been buying off the mm and have so far bought the following:

Gigabyte P35C-DS3r - idea was that as this takes DDR2 AND 3 it provides a bit of an upgrade path.

4GB G.Skill DDR2 PC2-8000 PQ Series

1 GB Crucial Ballistix tracer 1066.

All going well so far but I have been doing a lot of reading up about AMD's forthcoming chips and wonder if I would be better to go down the AMD am2+ route - a friend has offered me a x2 550 for next to nothing for the mean time.

Questions are which route would you guys take, bearing in mind a limited budget but looking at fututure options?

If AMD route which board would you guys reccomend, been reading up on Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P and 3p although for longevity should I go for the top of the range UD5P - there has also been mention of an AM2+ MSI board.

Or would you suggest sticking to the intel route and just go Q9550?

IS it better to spend sayt £200 on a socket 775 processor or go the AMD route and buy a new motherboard and chip? Or would you just say sod it flog the lot and go AM3 ( hoping this isn't the answer).

Main uses are general web, .net and like I said over the next month or so quite a bit of encoding.

regards,

Matt

Associate
On the choice of which motherboard to choose if going AM3, I went for the UD5P and don't regret it all (and I bought it when it was the more expensive side of £160). Howeved I would look at what each board does and are there any features you MUST have or you can do without? that could narrow it down a lot.

From posts on here, the most popular would be the UD3 lately I think.

Also, I bought the UD5 over the UD4 because of the extra features it included, the FDD controller turned out very useful when the USB drive I was trying to update the BIOS with couldn't be detected :S

Associate
OP
Thanx for the reply.

Looked for the UD5P but was struggling to find one, whereas the UD4P was available at a few places.

Was the UD5P able to take AM3 processors straight out of the box?

regards,

Matt

Back
Top Bottom