WHICH Z370 MOTHERBOARD ARE YOU CHOOSING AND WHY?

TJM

TJM

Associate
The Asrock Extreme4 has every feature I need at a reasonable price. I'm not bothered if it isn't the best overclocker as the Digital Foundry review shows the performance gains of 4.7->5GHz are minimal.

Associate
Asus Maximus Hero X.

Probably the highest spec series board I have ever bought (current board is P8P67 deluxe). I plan to keep my PC as long as I kept my Sandy, so nearly 7 years, so the extra cost of a Asus gaming is hardly anything for the lifetime. It it supposed to have better onboard sound, I guess OC could be more stable. I have the board at home, opened it up after I picked it up to find hardly anything it it, plastic tray with pockets but parts missing, no foam inside. Checked online and this seems to be normal for this series, man, not building in 7 years, you fall behind with tech, my last build was with IDE drives! , plan to start a build in Nov once I finish other build (and find a 8600k). I actually have a gaming F too (bought it thinking MB might be short stock like CPUs, but they weren't), so sending it back, tbh, I'm sure it's a perfect board too, probably wouldn't notice much difference.
I really felt like trying MSI, AsRock or Giga, but I like to follow OC guides online and there always seems to be many more ASUS guides available. Seems there BIOS is updated regularly enough, and since they are the most popular, you get a bit of security that any issues might get resolved faster, but this isn't such a big deal.

Asus STRIX I (ITX).

Bought to build my Dad a new PC, his Sandy 2500k is showing it's age, every time I disturb anything on the inside of the PC, strange things happen to the PC, wifi etc, time for a change. Was going to build him a 7600 ITX, he plays flight sims where high clock speeds are important, so now building a 8350k system. Two builds in a few months, happy days. Oh, why did I buy ASUS, can't really go wrong with this for ITX, the z270 got a good name, the Asrock ITX is nowhere to be seen, there was a MSI ITX for sale, at £400!

Cheers

Associate
I went for the Gigabyte Aurus Gaming 7 paired with my 8600k that arrived today. I chose it as I currently like the look of the board, with all the RGB etc, and this will be the first time I've gone for a high end motherboard with lots of features.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't decide.

Asus Maximus Hero X

or

Gigabyte Aourus Gaming 7

I know everyone will say Hero and while hero probably is the better board the Gigabyte is no slouch either. Like the rgb lighting as well. I'll make a decision by monday

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I can't decide.

Asus Maximus Hero X

or

Gigabyte Aourus Gaming 7

I know everyone will say Hero and while hero probably is the better board the Gigabyte is no slouch either. Like the rgb lighting as well. I'll make a decision by monday

I like both but I really want the Asus formula. My 8700k isn't here till 1st of Nov which is when I hope the formula will be out!

Soldato
I can't decide.

Asus Maximus Hero X

or

Gigabyte Aourus Gaming 7

Gaming 7 has better audio, only ROG Zenith matches it- so maybe then might roll that out if they do Code/extreme version of the board - steam voucher helps :D
Asus bios does have slight edge for ease of use IMO

Associate
OP
Gaming 7 has better audio, only ROG Zenith matches it- so maybe then might roll that out if they do Code/extreme version of the board - steam voucher helps :D

Thanks for the insight I hadn't picked up on the better sound on the gaming 7.

I've always wondered why people have a bad opinion of gigabyte boards. They seem to look great and have good stats but other peoples opinions of them have put me off buying one at the moment.

Soldato

I find Gigabyte bios just as easy as Asus. The last 2 gens I've been on Gigabyte and have use Asus as well. Asus is slightly better. You know I still don't know which one? Leaning more toward Gaming 7 mostly because of aesthetics it looks beautiful and I have to admit that £40 voucher can't hurt either lol

Soldato
Thanks for the insight I hadn't picked up on the better sound on the gaming 7.

I've always wondered why people have a bad opinion of gigabyte boards. They seem to look great and have good stats but other peoples opinions of them have put me off buying one at the moment.

Like them for fact of UK RMA center and rep on here if you need help- but if going via OCUK rma shouldnt really need them - think its the fact they stood idle for a while z87/z97 whilst ASRock and ASUS came out with guns loaded! Wasnt till the released Z170 Gaming 7 and G1 right at the end of Skylake life that they went for change. Z370 might be seen as a refresh over z270 so everyones stuck with same design but they did go opposite and seems its worked out- took me a while to warm up to it.
BIOS could use a more friendly approach though- for me asus has this nailed , and MSI having the worst fan profile in BIOS known to man haha

as for the sound, took a while to do research! you'll see Hero uses a newer serial number for DACs- giving impression its better- but once you do research and also see the zenith board, you know its the weaker option

I find Gigabyte bios just as easy as Asus. The last 2 gens I've been on Gigabyte and have use Asus as well. Asus is slightly better. You know I still don't know which one? Leaning more toward Gaming 7 mostly because of aesthetics it looks beautiful and I have to admit that £40 voucher can't hurt either lol

honestly hated it at first and loved the lighter gaming 5, but yeah- has grown on me lots - might take the pull on it :D

Back
Top Bottom