Which Z590 motheroabrd for my components?

Associate
I have edited this post as my build has slightly changed.

I have just pre-ordered an i9 11900K.

I want to make sure I get a motherboard that will have enough PCIe slots and at the right speeds. The board also needs to have at least 8 USB ports. 4 of those USB ports need to be USB 3.

Can somebody please recommend an Asus or Gigabyte Z590 motherboard for about £300 - £400.

This is going to be my build.

CPU - i9-11900K

Sound card – Asus Essence STX II 7.1 (this sound card has a motherboard and daughterboard and needs 2 PCIe slots)

Graphics card - RTX 3080

SSD - PCIe 4.0 NVMe - WD Black SN850 2TB M.2

Memory - Crucial Ballistix MAX 2 x 16GB 4000MHz.

Last edited:
Underboss
Is there any point buying a board yet ? The cpu isn't out until sometime in March, so you would be better off holding fire until then.

Buildzoid has a Gigabyte Z590 video if you want to kill an hour.

Associate
Personally I would go for a Z590 Vision G or Elite AX but would go for the 11700K and put the money from the CPU and mobo into a better GPU like the 3090.
It depends what you are doing with the machine, I think the 11700K will be so close to the 11900K that it wont be worth bothering with the extra cost but I don't know because there are no reviews.

Soldato
But doesn’t offer PCIE4
So does PCIe Gen 4 suddenly matter now that Intel are doing it? Last time I checked, graphics cards didn't saturate PCIe Gen 3 and the real-world performance benefits of a Gen 3 SSD were subjective, let alone a Gen 4.

Is Gen 4 really worth a massive price increase and performance regression over the 10900K? If the need for PCIe Gen 4 is so strong, is the massive price premium and performance deficit really worth it over the 5800X? And if somebody really wants to spend 600 notes on a CPU with PCIe Gen 4, why choose this over the 5900X?

Honestly @ennogs, cancel that pre-order, you're wasting your money. If you want Intel, get the 10900K, or even 10850K (it's the same CPU). Honestly superior to the 11900K in every way for a good chunk less money. And if you want the best for your money, strongly consider AMD as well since you've not committed to a path yet, you only have a CPU on pre-order.

Soldato
So does PCIe Gen 4 suddenly matter now that Intel are doing it? Last time I checked, graphics cards didn't saturate PCIe Gen 3 and the real-world performance benefits of a Gen 3 SSD were subjective, let alone a Gen 4.

Is Gen 4 really worth a massive price increase and performance regression over the 10900K? If the need for PCIe Gen 4 is so strong, is the massive price premium and performance deficit really worth it over the 5800X? And if somebody really wants to spend 600 notes on a CPU with PCIe Gen 4, why choose this over the 5900X?

Honestly @ennogs, cancel that pre-order, you're wasting your money. If you want Intel, get the 10900K, or even 10850K (it's the same CPU). Honestly superior to the 11900K in every way for a good chunk less money. And if you want the best for your money, strongly consider AMD as well since you've not committed to a path yet, you only have a CPU on pre-order.

I really can’t be bothered to do a wall of text, but logic would suggest if he’s purchased a Z590, then yes, PCIE4 could matter to the OP. I’m not suggesting your wrong, there is no wrong or right answer. The fact is though that whilst hardware may not saturate even PCIE3 yet, the speeds of PCIE4 offer more future proofing.

Seems like you’re trying to create an argument, or just trying to impose your will by bleating on and on. You need to chill.

Soldato
He's not bought a motherboard yet, that's what he's asking. In fact, he's not even bought the 11900K yet, it's on pre-order. And I hardly think asking questions and stating facts for consideration when somebody is asking for advice is "trying to create an argument". I would suggest, however, within the specific confines of Rocket Lake, there really is a right and wrong answer. It's pretty cut-and-dry that this thing is a DOA joke and nobody should buy it.

But you do you, my dear, feel free to see arguments where there are none.

Top Bottom