White Christmas in the Scottish Highlands? Suggestions?

Associate
Ok so my family want a white Christmas. We can not remember the last time we had proper snow. So we are considering a holiday in the Highlands over Christmas. Renting a house/cottage/log cabin.

Just wondering if anyone has done it? Or even better can suggest some nice places to rent? Great scenery, can be remote IE no TV, no Internet.

We have started looking at cottage holiday sites but its not the same as a personal recommendation. If anyone has pictures of their stay too that would be great!!

Sorry if this is the wrong section. I could not spot a Holiday section.

Soldato
Have look at a place in/near the Cairngom National Park.

Not sure on the snowfall history but you can ski on Cairn Gorm in the winter.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok so my family want a white Christmas. We can not remember the last time we had proper snow. So we are considering a holiday in the Highlands over Christmas. Renting a house/cottage/log cabin.

Just wondering if anyone has done it? Or even better can suggest some nice places to rent? Great scenery, can be remote IE no TV, no Internet.

We have started looking at cottage holiday sites but its not the same as a personal recommendation. If anyone has pictures of their stay too that would be great!!
Not sure whether anywhere would be available, but Knoydart is beautiful.

Soldato
Dalmunzie estate - some lovely renovated bothies and gate houses. Lovely and remote. Even if you don't have snow on the ground round you, 15 minute drive takes you up to the ski resort nearby, which while it may not have skiable snow will almost certainly have enough snow to lark about in. (Was there mid Jan and almost got snowed in on the estate on the day we were due to leave!)

Strathyre/Callander - forest holidays.

Faux cabins on the shores of a loch surrounded by high mountains. Did it a few years ago at New Years and they'd had snow for most of December and had quite a few white Christmases before and since apparently. Not sure how likely that will be for this year though.

Word of warning though a lot of these places book up pretty fast. If driving, while a 4x4 isn't 100% necessary as the roads are well treated and maintained if you go somewhere like dalmunzie where you are off the main roads it can become very tricky without the added traction.

Soldato
I don't think many places in the Highlands have had a white Christmas recently either.

I'm in the Highlands and it's been a few years since we've had a white christmas.

Try Skye. You'll get every type of weather within an hour there.
Skye is very nice and well worth a visit but if you're chasing snow you'd be better off in the Cairngorms. Islands and coastal areas dont get as much snow because the sea keeps them a bit warmer.

Caporegime
I wouldn't head up to Scotland with an expectation of a white Christmas, head up for the experience and see what happens. If you can get to high ground you have a good chance of seeing snow, but on the bottom of the glens it is mostly rain. Decent snow quantities in the mountains before January are rare but good chance of getting some snow.

Caporegime
These days, more chance of a white Easter! ;)

Depends on the date of Easter, but march is a much snowerier month than December on average, yhat is rlated to the thermal minium being at the end of Feburary in Scotland, sea temperatures are at their lowest in March, and an increasing sun strength increases advection.

Associate

I'd avoid like the plague. Tourist hell, unless you're a skier.

I'd say your not much more likely to get snow in 'The Highlands' than you are in any other part of the country, but your best bestbet would probably be around the Cairngorms, higher the better. Personally I'd pick somewhere that fits your idea of beautiful without snow, though its worth remembering that if its not snowing Scotland will likely be wet, grey, and daylight hours will be short.

Perhaps somewhere in the Alps would give you closer to what you want

Back
Top Bottom