Who actually eats the recommended serving of cereal?

Soldato
Just demolished a bowl of cheerios and noticed the box claims to have 12 servings.

They have a seriously unrealistic idea of what a suitable portion size is because I don't think this box will last more than 6.

Some packs of cereal have given me maybe 2-3 bowls full.

Am I just a greedy git or is everyone else the same?

Soldato
They go for smaller portions to make the nutrition stats look better.
Same with lots of other items like pasta, pizza, desserts, cheeses, you name it.

The only one I match the serving for is Weetabix, and it is genuinely filling. A suggested serving of cornflakes however...is pitiful.

Associate
I have way more than the recommended portion, easily 3x as much. My boxes of mini shredded wheat don't last two minutes. I might weight mine in the morning to check.

Soldato
OP
It's probably you being a stereotypical example of eating way more than you need to, and having portion sizes that are far too large.

Maybe my bowls are too deep or wide because I think the recommended portion would look lost in there.

I do probably eat more than I need to though. Especially in these self isolation times I'm loving my munch!.

Soldato
well - google says 34g of sugar in a 100g 1/6th packet ... which is more than a dam mars bar ... lol

but if you ate same weight in weetabix or shredded wheat ..

Soldato
Probably because the recommended serving is aimed at children, but it reminds me of my wife who claims porridge always leaves her hungry vs having eggs/bagels. Probably because one of those porridge sachets (a "recommended serving") is ~220kcal made up whereas the other option is twice that!

You need to apply some common sense to the recommendations based on your build and activity levels. I burn something like 7,500 calories a week cycling on average so if I ate recommended servings I'd keel over.

That said, I think some people view a packet of something as a recommended serving which is why you now have low calorie ice cream advertising how many calories an entire tub contains. *facepalm*

Soldato
I actually do, controlling calories so I pay attention to portion size. I too was surprised at how big a recommend portion is but now i've changed to is its fine. I think portion control is a major contributor to obesity.

Soldato
but it reminds me of my wife who claims porridge always leaves her hungry vs having eggs/bagels
now forgotten - is that the higher glycemic index on protein versus similar calories in carbs .? or just they are more satiating for unknown reason.

frosties .. yes, low sugar too

Soldato
Higher GI foods are absorbed quicker and can spike your blood sugars, leading to insulin spikes and then crashes. (that feeling of being tired after eating)

Lower GI foods (like porridge) release their energy more slowly, and help keep things more 'even', and are supposed to help you feel fuller for longer.

Soldato
I too was surprised at how big a recommend portion is but now i've changed to is its fine. I think portion control is a major contributor to obesity.
Are you really small?
A recommended 30g portion for me is only about a handful... That's doing **** all if I'm hungry.

As for portion control - Check the packaging pictures and note they show bowls full to bursting!
Excuse the source, but it has good pictures - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...HREE-TIMES-food-recommended-portion-size.html

Soldato
Do most people pay attention to recommended portion sizes for anything?

Most pop/soda bottles recommend 250ml per portion, yet the standard can size is 330ml. I've never met anyone who has measured out 250ml from a 2lt bottle of pop, or put the cap back on a 500ml bottle to save half for the next day.

I pay no attention regardless, everyone has different requirements so a one size fits all suggestion is pointless.

Last edited:
Soldato
Higher GI foods are absorbed quicker and can spike your blood sugars, leading to insulin spikes and then crashes. (that feeling of being tired after eating)

Lower GI foods (like porridge) release their energy more slowly, and help keep things more 'even', and are supposed to help you feel fuller for longer.
yes - but is that why eggs are more satisfying ?

Back
Top Bottom