Who else is in the 400 club ?

Man of Honour
no one expects you to actually go past them at that sort of rate

Yep - people you overtake stay overtaken. Those idiots who put their foot down to try to stop you getting ahead are now a thing of the past unless they have the same sort of power. And that sort of owner generally doesn't care that you've overtaken them - it's the boring euro-box owners who think it makes their ***** look small to be overtaken.

M

Associate
OP
Cheers for the replies all. More than I thought tbh so very interesting !

Thought I'd stick 'em in a list for reference, it's just for fun so I'm taking people at their word - no loaves of bread next to dyno sheets etc required ;)

1. Sneaky Peaky - Subaru Impreza Sti - Est 420bhp
2. Billy The Impaler - Pontiac Catalina Ventura - Est 400bhp +
3. Maz - TVR Cerbera - Est 420bhp
4. Mattius - Chevrolet Corvette - Est 475bhp
5. Meridian - Subaru Impreza Sti - Est 400bhp +
6. TomO - BMW E60 M5 - Est 545bhp / Nissan Skyline R33 GTR - Est 595bhp / Noble M400 - Est 425bhp
7. housemaster - Audi RS4 - Est 420bhp
7. jp7152 - BMW M5 - Est 440bhp / BMW M3 Evo - Est 440bhp

Man of Honour
I imagine my M5 is in the region of 440bhp.

My M3 Evo is roughly the same also.

Then I assume both have forced induction, and not just some 100 cell cats and a chip?

I am not aware of any E36 Evo with anything other than forced induction, including race cars getting close to 400bhp, and I am also not aware of any E39 M5's with anything other than forced induction seeing over 420bhp, and that is a very very good one with some different internals.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I am interested to understand what modifications the E36 has to be producing 440bhp. I can only imagine its been built by a race shop of some repute and then had a great big turbo bolted to the side of it. If not I feel its owner is being somewhat ambitious (by over 100bhp) I would suggest...

Associate
Never had the M5 dynoed so purely guessing on that one. It's a fairly freshly rebuilt engine (~25k miles,) along with a Haywood and Scott custom exhaust and a remap.

The M3 has quite a few modifications. It's cheating a little it has nitrous, but I guess it still counts. :)

It was dynoed at ~412bhp running a +75bhp progressive shot, however I have now changed the jets for +125bhp progressive, so I would image a fairly high peak output.

Soldato
I am interested to understand what modifications the E36 has to be producing 440bhp. I can only imagine its been built by a race shop of some repute and then had a great big turbo bolted to the side of it. If not I feel its owner is being somewhat ambitious (by over 100bhp) I would suggest...

That's the problem with "estimations".

I could argue that my car is damn fast and that I estimate it to have around 450hp+ this estimation based on previously driving a corsa with 70hp or whatever.

Guesstimations mean nothing, all manufacturers figures are averages anyway, then some (especially TVR) are based upon development engines, or engines without ancilleries placed on engine dyno's (like the alledged 340hp for the 5.0 RV8 which, once in the car, actually puts out closer to 240hp at the flywheel). On top of that a lot of suggested modification figures are optimistic, to say the least.

I imagine some people would be dissapointed if they ever got their car on a dyno :)

Associate
I've never had my car on a dyno, but I should just be a member of the 400 club according to Jaguar, although being a great big barge it's not half as fast as some of the stuff mentioned in this thread.

Man of Honour
That's the problem with "estimations".

I could argue that my car is damn fast and that I estimate it to have around 450hp+ this estimation based on previously driving a corsa with 70hp or whatever.

Guesstimations mean nothing, all manufacturers figures are averages anyway, then some (especially TVR) are based upon development engines, or engines without ancilleries placed on engine dyno's (like the alledged 340hp for the 5.0 RV8 which, once in the car, actually puts out closer to 240hp at the flywheel). On top of that a lot of suggested modification figures are optimistic, to say the least.

I imagine some people would be dissapointed if they ever got their car on a dyno :)
Agreed, and dyno figures vary hugely too, often reading higher just after someone does some 'magic' with a laptop, both to your engine and to the settings on their dyno application...

I often smile when I see some of the simply ludicrous claims made for things like air filters, different exhaust systems and worst of all, remaps. People add all three changes to their car and then add up all the claims made, and suddenly they have a V-Tec with 75bhp more, or an M3 with an extra 100bhp which is simply laughable. Like your Tiv (and my old Griff) the RS4 is not likely to hit its numbers on a rolling road, though in the RS4's case that is just as much down to dyno operators not being sure how to calculate the exact transmission losses of the 4WD system (so I have read) as well as the engine not being 'perfect'.

Most manufacturers work to tolerances that say with X% of claimed figures, some will be over, usually at the lower end of the scale, some will be smack on, and many will be under, some by 10's of BHP. Porsche is well known for taking a different route in that the worst engine will hit the numbers, the best will be somewhat over, not least with the GT3 which has been benched at 400bhp in 996 flavour and up to 430bhp in 997 flavour, and that is benched not dyno'd, so accurate. A 440bhp E36 is, to be polite, ambitious I suggest unless its got something turbo shaped inside the engine bay!

or as I just spotted, Nitros! :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Never had the M5 dynoed so purely guessing on that one. It's a fairly freshly rebuilt engine (~25k miles,) along with a Haywood and Scott custom exhaust and a remap.

The M3 has quite a few modifications. It's cheating a little it has nitrous, but I guess it still counts. :)

It was dynoed at ~412bhp running a +75bhp progressive shot, however I have now changed the jets for +125bhp progressive, so I would image a fairly high peak output.

If your M5 hits 400bhp you will be doing well, trust me.

Now, the E36 has Nitros, that's of course a whoooooole different kettle of fish! ;)

Soldato
I'm not in the 400 club nor would I want to be. I find 190BHP in the Elise more than enough for me and could probably be as quick as a lot of 400BHP cars in anything other than a straight line anyway.

Soldato
I'm not in the 400 club nor would I want to be. I find 190BHP in the Elise more than enough for me and could probably be as quick as a lot of 400BHP cars in anything other than a straight line anyway.

A well set up (handling and engine wise) 400bhp Subaru would ruin an Elise 111R round a track as well as in a straight line. An Exige S would be a better bet to give it a run for its money :)

Soldato

I don't know about that, but what I do know, is that Sneaky Peaky, and Meridians scoobs are running a rather large turbo, that practically always gets well above 400bhp. Some people are optimistic you're right, but I think that most the claims in this thread are very believable.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
A well set up (handling and engine wise) 400bhp Subaru would ruin an Elise 111R round a track as well as in a straight line. An Exige S would be a better bet to give it a run for its money :)

I doubt it. A friend of a friend has a 500bhp evo 8 on tein suspension, ap brakes etc etc and round donnington was only just staying in front of another friend with a Pug 205 with a 190bhp 2.0 n/a engine in it (cammed pug 206 gti-180).

4wd is a hindrance on a dry track compared to a well setup front driver let alone an elise!

Soldato
I doubt it. A friend of a friend has a 500bhp evo 8 on tein suspension, ap brakes etc etc and round donnington was only just staying in front of another friend with a Pug 205 with a 190bhp 2.0 n/a engine in it (cammed pug 206 gti-180).

4wd is a hindrance on a dry track compared to a well setup front driver let alone an elise!

Your mate is clearly not making use of 500bhp.

Quick google for Nordschleife times.

8:42 Lotus Exige Horst von Saurma Sport Auto 11/00 Sport tires

S1 Exige, still pushing around 190bhp IIRC.

8:24 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Sport Auto 05/04 Sport tires

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times

Obviously it will differ with what track etc.

Back
Top Bottom