Who hates the Union Flag?

Associate
OP
I can't stand the damn thing, it stands for unionism and I'm a staunch Republican. Saltire and Lion Rampant for the win.

That's actually the one thing I like about it :D

The sybolism of the idea behind it - the unity of the countries that make up Britain. Feel a bit sorry for Wales though!

Soldato
That's actually the one thing I like about it :D

The sybolism of the idea behind it - the unity of the countries that make up Britain. Feel a bit sorry for Wales though!

I agree with this mate, except the Wales bit, stick a dragon or green on it and it'd look awful although frankly feel free to hit it with photoshop :D

Associate
I like our flag. It is by it's nature a symbol of unity between the various factions of our region. Even if that unity is falling apart now I still respect the thoughts that inspired it. It's worth remebering, and I'd be depressed if we ever devolved to the individual flags.

We're a small nation and we should stick together.

Wales gets a bit screwed though, we should have a dragon on the flag.... and lets face it, a dragon on any flag could only make it cooler.

Soldato
Love the Union Jack/Flag, can't see why it is being called chavy, the England flag is chavy (unfortunately) due to all the chavs using it :(

Associate
OP
LOL. Are you proposing we modernise the flag, to keep up with the trends or what? Thats utterly retarded.

Nah you can't change it now. Not unless we have good reason like Scotland leaving the Union. Its seems a bit cruel to kick them out for asthetic reasons so unless they decide to leave I we are stuck with it (for better or worse depending on opinion).

I just cringe a bit when I see it and wondered if I was alone in that response.

Soldato
A burberry flag?

The flag itself isn't chavvy.

It's the chavs that go round wearing fake burberry and therefore the flag is associated with 'chavs'

Real designer burberry costs a bomb.

I haven't seen anyone wearing great Britain flags recently either.

Soldato
Though if you wanted to keep with the theme and include Wales then it should have black or yellow on for St David?

I actually think it's a good flag, it's very distinctive, instantly recogniseable unlike many others.

Man of Honour
I think it looks bloody handsome.

It's a shame that we are so timid about our flag in the UK. Most countries across the world are incredibly proud of theirs.

EDIT

Yes Mubs, the St David's flag is a gold cross on a black background

Caporegime
Though if you wanted to keep with the theme and include Wales then it should have black or yellow on for St David?

I actually think it's a good flag, it's very distinctive, instantly recogniseable unlike many others.

Indeed, would be the easiest way of incorporating us into the flag as its a similar design. We do have the best flags though don't we. :cool:

Would anyone like to suggest how the Union Flag might look if it were to be merged with the St. David's Cross?

I'm sure there was a "Design a flag thread" a while a go...

Associate
OP
It's a shame that we are so timid about our flag in the UK. Most countries across the world are incredibly proud of theirs.

I do agree with this despite my opinions on the asthetics. Particularly with the St George's Cross, which is much more simple and therefore elegant in my eyes.

Soldato
It is an awesome design. English and Scottish flag merged into one. Sorry Wales and NI.

You know it has the flag of st patrick on it too (the red diagonal cross) and was updated when Ireland entered the political union in 1801...

I personally hate it, its all about lybias green flag :D (oh yeah and its symple of the best bit of the empire isnt too impressive...)

I say we change it and change the national anthem! (I want jesus and mary chain upside down personally...)

Back
Top Bottom