Who here owns a Subaru?

Soldato
Phil.

I use tein s springs and KYB SR ultra suspension struts. Makes for a very good handling car and low. But not too low.

Was good enough for 12.13 @ 113 mph

Hmmmm, could be internet propaganda but I looked at the Tein S Tech springs (are they the same?) and there were more bad reviews than good?

I think I would prefer an 'all in one's package, don't fancy buying everything separate. I looked at the Pedders Ezi kit but these also are reported to be too firm.

Man of Honour
Do you use it for work?

Yea - it's done 100k miles now, and is showing the age/mileage. My plan is to run it into the ground and then scrap it or sell it for parts. Commuting will be about 10k miles a year, and I've actually improved the consumption to about 280 miles a tank (light on, not empty-empty) from the mixed cycle of about 240. It's not an ideal commuting car, but almost any second car would work out more. And various financial issues (three jobs and two moves in five years) mean I don't have the readies for a new(ish) car.

Soldato
My STi is a daily-ish but I do quite low miles so it's never really bothered me about mileage. I get the whole 'keep mileage down so it's worth more' argument but I firmly believe I bought it to enjoy it, so that's what I'll do :D

Associate
Hmmmm, could be internet propaganda but I looked at the Tein S Tech springs (are they the same?) and there were more bad reviews than good?

I think I would prefer an 'all in one's package, don't fancy buying everything separate. I looked at the Pedders Ezi kit but these also are reported to be too firm.

I bought mine from Scooby parts blob eye.

Tein s springs they have been on about 3 years now.
No issues at all. I'm not aware of any reported bad reviews. But I don't tend to read too many reviews as there is always good with the bad.

Like I said I have run about 10 12.1s with them fitted, so a positive review from me.

Last edited:
Soldato
I love the thought of using something special as a commuting car, always enjoyed driving it to work. Like you Phil, I bought it to enjoy it but sticking 400 miles a week on it some weeks just seemed like a massive shame when the car is so much more than a motorway cruiser. I'll probably never sell it (unless I'm forced to) as there's never been anything else I've wanted more so am not too fussed about residuals.

@Meridian, do you mean the bodywork? Or just overall condition of the car? Are the engine internals standard?

Last edited:
Soldato
I love the thought of using something special as a commuting car, always enjoyed driving it to work. Like you Phil, I bought it to enjoy it but sticking 400 miles a week on it some weeks just seemed like a massive shame when the car is so much more than a motor cruiser.

Ah see that's where we differ, my weekly mileage probably doesn't exceed much more than 60-70miles.

Soldato
I love the thought of using something special as a commuting car, always enjoyed driving it to work. Like you Phil, I bought it to enjoy it but sticking 400 miles a week on it some weeks just seemed like a massive shame when the car is so much more than a motorway cruiser. I'll probably never sell it (unless I'm forced to) as there's never been anything else I've wanted more so am not too fussed about residuals.

@Meridian, do you mean the bodywork? Or just overall condition of the car? Are the engine internals standard?

I used to do about 64 miles a day in a mk3 MX-5 when I was working in Cambridge. Didn't cost all that much really and was very reliable. You just need to find something low power but good fun, my mx-5 only had something like 120hp but it was never boring. Held it's value quite well too, I had it 5 years and it lost less than half it's new value.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was doing 400-500 miles a week when i first got my widetrack, did that for probably 12-18 months 'till i got a cheap run around. For me thought it was more because i was starting to do track days and it was my only car but it was nice to go from 28mpg to 65mpg as it more than halved my fuel bill! :D i went quite cheap though with a little diesel Yaris, £30 a year tax and like £140 insurance with all maintenance done by me so for me at least it was financially worth it to run a 2nd car. But on the flip side you're not driving the car you love 90% of the time so it's swings and roundabouts really as i was doing it more to avoid being without a car if i broke something on the scoob.

Soldato
Ill be honest, if had to drive this for anything other than leasure, it would be a BMW.

Did a 200miles steady round trip to fetch the Focus. That will never happen again lol

Soldato
Wheels are done. They are very Gold :D

Brilliant finish on them, should be a breeze to clean. Just need to get the car cleaned up now as a dirty car does minty wheels no justice at all :rolleyes:

35971059083_96f76ff1fe_b.jpg

36609952642_d09f35499d_h.jpg

Soldato
Thanks - very pleased with both the colour and the quality/finish.

Got a starting issue at the moment. When it's cold it will crank for a good 10-15 seconds before starting. I'm led to believe it could be a coolant temp sensor issue?

Man of Honour
They look really nice Phil, ironically I got some gold 17" WRX wheels for the winter tyres on the Foz and promptly got them refurbed silver :o For some strange reason I'm not a fan of the Subaru pink and gold.

Soldato
I very nearly went for anthracite or similar, when I bought the car they were smoked chrome but the paint (java black) really pops with gold metallic when the sun hits it so I thought the gold wheels would compliment that :)

I don't mind the pink badges, there are a lot of them dotted around the car though :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Now get it lowered Phil! Good choice of colour for sure.

Cold start could also be a crank sensor issue, another way the crank sensor shows up is if you're travelling at over 100 *ahem km...* for a prolonged period, sometimes you get the CEL.

I changed mine and rubbish starts and high speed CEL went away. It's under the alternator.

Soldato
OP
I think they were BR.

They were alright, but if I were to do coilovers again I'd ensure I bought something that used rubber top mounts. They would keep the compliance to a degree.

ASTs used to use the stock top mounts I believe, so not as adjustable as some, but combined with Whiteline top mounts they'd be ideal IMO.

I'd probably go Bilstein now..

Soldato
Not got the budget for Bilstein as nice as it would be.

I'm pretty sure i'll go BC but with the F02 which are softer. I believe BC/Meister R/Apex are all the same so not much point in one of the other.

I have seen Tegiwa selling 'Yellow' coilovers but I've never heard of them before!

Back
Top Bottom