Who makes the best Baked Beans :)

Associate
Pretty sure I've only ever tried Heinz. I have a feeling that they might have reduced the salt content a touch since the good old days (CBA to actually check though), so I often add a sprinkle of salt. Or maybe I'm just losing my sense of taste now I'm no longer a young whippersnapper.

Soldato
I genuinely cannot remember the last time I cooked a tin of baked beans in a pot on a stove, like the olden times.

it's just to thicken up the sauce really, I usually do anything cooking related the fastest way possible but this is worth the extra time/effort!

Associate
As rob said....branston, end of disscusion lol.

Or really get posh sausages and beans.....branstons.....heinz makes decent soup, but not beans.

Caporegime
can anyone name totally sugar free baken beans ? i looked for em and all you get is slightly less or some other excuse but still contain sugar. " No Added Sugar "

Soldato
can anyone name totally sugar free baken beans ? i looked for em and all you get is slightly less or some other excuse but still contain sugar. " No Added Sugar "
Not really because sugar is one of the compounds occuring naturally in beans (and almost all foods). It'd be pretty difficult to extract the sugars from inside whole beans I imagine.

Caporegime
I bet baked beans is one of the easiest things in the world to make yourself from ingredients.
looks what in a tin about 3-5 actual ingredients

Branston for sure. Little knob of butter, a pinch of salt, some pepper, a little tomato puree, paprika, and chilli flakes - heaven!

Branston already have paprika and white pepper :p one of the reasons I don't like them

Soldato
you need to cook them on the stove, in a pan, give them a little mash/bash with the spatula/spoon, cook them until they are thick and you can just about need a knife to cut them. This solves the OPS 'hardness' problem, it solves the 'too much' juice problem, makes them taste better too. At this point, brand does not matter, seriously. Bonus points for adding, some paprika / chilli / cheese/ bacon / plenty black pepper, pinch salt, some brown sauce/ketchup. Seems the problem in this thread is people basically warming them up in a microwave, this is the WORST way to do baked beans.

And i'm pretty sure at one point during 'the bean wars' tesco were PAYING you 2p to 'buy' a tin of beans.

Caporegime
well there is the old age debate microwave vs pan cooked. pan cooked always taste better and are easier to digest. i always used to ask the missus microwave or pan cooked ? if she said microwave just wouldnt eat em. as often give me guts ache.

i dont have sugar trying to find a way or baked beans without sugar as posted about is literally impossible. also shows you how many companies stretch the wording of no added sugar to try and get round this. some people will buy them thinking there is no sugar its just no added.

Soldato
also shows you how many companies stretch the wording of no added sugar to try and get round this. some people will buy them thinking there is no sugar its just no added.
People need to learn that sugar is a basic component of biological matter and it's in all their food.

It really bugs me when people say they're cutting out sugar or on a no-sugar diet. It's not true at all.

Caporegime
People need to learn that sugar is a basic component of biological matter and it's in all their food.

It really bugs me when people say they're cutting out sugar or on a no-sugar diet. It's not true at all.

well i try to do it to the best of my ability. obviously you will get some trace amounts but beans actually have a really lot of sugar in. its not just a tiny bit. sugar is really bad for you and im happy not to have it. you eat what you want. thats fine with me. :p

its not even that most baked beans makers companies actually market baked beans with sugar in sly to try and get round them having sugar in.

Back
Top Bottom