Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Soldato
Quick Question!

So my car is booked in with VW for some warranty work, service and MOT.

The fault is that the bonnet handle has no tension so they suspect the bonnet release cable has failed which they have ordered the parts and plan to fix. Customer Service called to confirm my booking and mentioned that they are going to MOT it and fail it before fixing the issue (That they know about prior this time) then re-do the MOT.

Is this the law? It's no big deal but just seems a shame to add a fail onto the cars history considering the fault has been identified and scheduled to be fixed prior to the MOT as obviously cannot be done with access to under the bonnet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this the law? It's no big deal but just seems a shame to add a fail onto the cars history considering the fault has been identified and scheduled to be fixed prior to the MOT as obviously cannot be done with access to under the bonnet.
That does sound a bit odd MOT'ing a car with a known/obvious fault which will fail it on that they're planning on fixing only to MOT it again? I presume they'll just charge you for a single MOT?

Soldato
That does sound a bit odd MOT'ing a car with a known/obvious fault which will fail it on that they're planning on fixing only to MOT it again? I presume they'll just charge you for a single MOT?

The MOT is actually covered by the All In Plan - Annoyingly it is only due to there mix up that it is due an MOT now anyway, it had 6 months MOT on it and went in for a service but they decided to MOT it too..

It's due an MOT 28th July so tempted to re-schedule... Just thought I would get it all done in one go for convivence.

I voiced how I wouldn't be happy with it being failed just to pass when you know about the fault beforehand.

Soldato
Called this morning to ensure the repair is carried out prior to the MOT... Being JCT600 - Of course it's no possible.

So it's still in for the repair and service but I will re-schedule the MOT and they will have to collect and return the car again :rolleyes:

Over the years both me and my partner have had so many little niggles with VW's and JCT 600 are always such a chore to deal with (Without going into so many instances where they have been sub par)

Soldato
Question for Mk6 GTI owners:

- Changed the front discs and pads, put on the Brembo offering from Euro Car Parts. Braking is now quite...wooden, under normal driving conditions there isn't a lot of feel. If I stamp on them hard then absolutely no issues with stopping, however this is only during exceptional circumstances.

Can anyone recommend a decent set of pads, OEM or otherwise, that'll offer a decent amount of braking feel day to day?

TIA

Associate
Anyone had the DSG recall? Father in law’s Golf R apparently needs to go in for it, which is a software update that allows for it to do further diagnostics on the box and look for failures that have been previously missed.

From what I’ve read, quite a few people have had theirs flag with a gearbox error which has resulted in them being without their car for weeks while parts are sorted.

Anyone had this?

Permabanned
Anyone had the DSG recall? Father in law’s Golf R apparently needs to go in for it, which is a software update that allows for it to do further diagnostics on the box and look for failures that have been previously missed.

From what I’ve read, quite a few people have had theirs flag with a gearbox error which has resulted in them being without their car for weeks while parts are sorted.

Anyone had this?

For mk8? Nothing here.

Associate

Anyone had this?

There is a thread about this on VWROC forum - I've not had it on my 7.5 but I've taken mine out of the dealer network, I'm also running ecotune DSG map as well.

From the thread on VWROC people seem divided about the update, although I've not paid huge amounts of attention to it if I'm honest.

Soldato
Hi all
have been looking at various cars for my next and have become interested in a GTI Performance. 19/20 plate.

I have completely no idea on these cars with regard to reliability, servicing etc so if some owners can share some feedback it would be great.

Also when looking is it worth the eXcite pack, 19" wheels and the leather seats?

Associate
Hi all
have been looking at various cars for my next and have become interested in a GTI Performance. 19/20 plate.

I have completely no idea on these cars with regard to reliability, servicing etc so if some owners can share some feedback it would be great.

Also when looking is it worth the eXcite pack, 19" wheels and the leather seats?

I‘ve done a fair whack of research on these as I’ve nearly bought one (or a Golf R) a few times in the past.

In terms of reliability, other owners can probably comment, but as I understand it as long as they are well maintained they’re pretty solid.

Servicing - the VW ‘All-in’ plans looks like a really good deal, £30-odd a month gets you servicing, warranty, breakdown cover and MOTs for two years. We had in on the Tiguan and worked really well for us, multiple things sorted under the warranty without any quibbles.

Excite pack - if that’s the one with the Dynaudio sound system then it’s 100% worth it, the stock system is very average but the upgraded system is a must have in my opinion, having listened to both. Leather seats I’m not particularly bothered by as the fabric seats are excellent. Wheels I think are personal choice.

Soldato
I‘ve done a fair whack of research on these as I’ve nearly bought one (or a Golf R) a few times in the past.

In terms of reliability, other owners can probably comment, but as I understand it as long as they are well maintained they’re pretty solid.

Servicing - the VW ‘All-in’ plans looks like a really good deal, £30-odd a month gets you servicing, warranty, breakdown cover and MOTs for two years. We had in on the Tiguan and worked really well for us, multiple things sorted under the warranty without any quibbles.

Excite pack - if that’s the one with the Dynaudio sound system then it’s 100% worth it, the stock system is very average but the upgraded system is a must have in my opinion, having listened to both. Leather seats I’m not particularly bothered by as the fabric seats are excellent. Wheels I think are personal choice.
cheers SS

I'm still in the early days of looking but I'm starting to like the idea of owning one. I had previously looked at an A35 AMG but issues at home have slashed the budget.

Service plan sounds decent. I'd definitely be looking at that. Agree with what you're saying on wheels and seats. until I actually see both in the flesh I'll decide then. But yes, excite pack is the sound system and is a must for me.

Soldato
So earlier this week I decided to move on from my Golf GTD by replacing it with a Polo GTI+ in Limestone Grey with the 18” Brescia’s…

Pictures to follow once I’ve had chance to give it a proper clean!

Last edited:
Soldato
Would you guy's accept this? JCT 600 tend to be a pain over minor niggles which you want putting right under warranty, without a fight anyway.

During the inspection it was identified that the rear wheel arch is deformed slightly and was quoted £150.45 to replace... I questioned this being covered under warranty and the response I got was "Due to it being knocked no it would not be covered under warranty" I have since provided photographs since there are no signs of damage, I then requested that the Sales Advisor spoke with the technician who looked over my vehicle to determine what caused the failure and this was their response.

"In regards to your wheel arch liner, it isn't damaged however it has deformed due to moisture. I understand this isn't your fault and ive tried every which way to try and get it covered for you but there isn't a way warranty will accept it although there is a way that I can get the cost reduced by doing a 70/30 split with VW"

Part of me just wants to accept it for the hassle free side of things however that email has literally confirmed that it isn't my fault? The car is in manufactures warranty with 13,000 miles.

Last edited:
Associate
Would you guy's accept this? JCT 600 tend to be a pain over minor niggles which you want putting right under warranty, without a fight anyway.

During the inspection it was identified that the rear wheel arch is deformed slightly and was quoted £150.45 to replace... I questioned this being covered under warranty and the response I got was "Due to it being knocked no it would not be covered under warranty" I have since provided photographs since there are no signs of damage, I then requested that the Sales Advisor spoke with the technician who looked over my vehicle to determine what caused the failure and this was their response.

"In regards to your wheel arch liner, it isn't damaged however it has deformed due to moisture. I understand this isn't your fault and ive tried every which way to try and get it covered for you but there isn't a way warranty will accept it although there is a way that I can get the cost reduced by doing a 70/30 split with VW"

Part of me just wants to accept it for the hassle free side of things however that email has literally confirmed that it isn't my fault? The car is in manufactures warranty with 13,000 miles.
Id prolly go to another local VW Dealer and ask for their opinion as well. If you dont get any results. Put something on their social media and that will get their attention pretty quickly and rectify the issue. This is what I did after they fobbed me off with a replacement battery with my Golf and they couldn't install yet , despite being an approved VW part.

Back
Top Bottom