• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who remembers the Kyro series?

daz

daz

Soldato
The Kyro series of graphics cards, and in particular the Kyro II were low price high performance efforts - the Kyro II able to match the GeForce 2 GTS. They took a slightly different approach to the rendering process, and this was the reason they were so good at the time.

Unfortunately, not having hardware T+L on the cards really hampered them as time went on...

So what are PowerVR doing now?

Soldato
Sticking to arcade machines and small handheld devices.

The Intel 2700G is basically the PVR MBX (an ancient chip that was shown running Q3 at 320x240 with 4xAA back in the day when 4xAA was prohibitably slow). The 2700G is currently present in the Dell Axim X50v/X51v. Its also going to be present in more PDAs, some mobile phones in the future.

Q3 has been ported to PDA as well, although it runs quite slow due to the CPU and a fairly quick port.

Soldato
daz said:
The Kyro series of graphics cards, and in particular the Kyro II were low price high performance efforts - the Kyro II able to match the GeForce 2 GTS. They took a slightly different approach to the rendering process, and this was the reason they were so good at the time.

Unfortunately, not having hardware T+L on the cards really hampered them as time went on...

So what are PowerVR doing now?

Ahh yes, the Kryo cards.
The subject of much debate on these here forums, and you have pointed out the reason why, they didnt compete with the GTS in anything other than certain highly selective benchmarks, one of which was a specially written benchmark specifically for kryo cards which owners touted as proof how great the cards were.
The different approach was that it only rendered that which would be visable on screen at the time, where as at the time, cards were rendering everything such as objects behind walls in line the users line of sight etc etc.
Those that bought them were quite adamant they were fantastic, but the rest of the world could see they were inferior in every single way to almost every other card on the market at the time.
They wouldnt work with some games without hours and hours of hacking of drivers, general performance wasnt that great, missing textures, huge areas of unrendered graphics in others.
I remember at the time quite a large thread on these forums started by a guy who would spend his time doing NOTHING but hacking the kryo drivers to get them to work with games, every couple of days he would come back with a list of things to add in, take out, change, etc etc, listing what you had to do to get even the popular games of the time to run.

Soldato
I remember them well, friend of mine had one. It's unusual way of rendering basically involved only rendering what you could see, hidden surfaces were not rendered. such as having a stack of crates in HL, all parts of the crates that you couldn't see due to being obscured by another crate for instance would not be rendered until need be, i.e. you moved and thus your view of the crates altered. I think this is right, I've probably left something out but essentially that is how it did it as far as I remember, they were genuinely impressive cards although compatibility was very iffy indeed. I had neither the GF2 or the Kyro myself, I had a Radeon 32 DDR, which I still have running in an old machine, the IQ on it was vastly superior to the GF2, although the drivers were awful then :p although not nearly as bad as the Kyro's I might add ...oh how far ATI's drivers have come.

Edit: atbpx, I do apologise for basically saying much the same as you, you had not replied when I started compiling my own :)

Last edited:
Soldato
i remember the kyro + kyro 2 cards... and I also remember 12 months of people waiting for the kyro 3.. which never seemed to arrive...

dis

dis

Associate
They were basically good cards that began to suffer after T&L was used in most games. It would have been a far more interesting card if it was released when originally scheduled. I think in the end it was over a year later than planned after a delay while a modified version was fitted and produced for use in the dreamcast.

Apparently, the Kyro 3 ended up powering a lot of arcade machines. Did it ever make it to the pc market? I seem to remember it was a beefed up K2 with Texture & Lighting hardware?

Permabanned
They used TBR (Tile Based Rendering) as oppossed to IMR (Immediate Mode Rendering) which all modern cards use.

There has over time been lots of news and conjecture on these cards and chips but alas IMR is here to stay.

Back
Top Bottom