1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who says aio cooling is crap?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by hlennie, Jan 19, 2019.

1. doyll

Soldato

No, it's a fact top tier air coolers cool as well as CLCs at same noise levels as long as they are supplied the same temperature of air.
    Several years ago PC-Cooling tested Silver Arrow SB-E (comparable to other top tier coolers but 17cb quieter) H100 (comparable to other 240mm radiator CLCs) and Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme (similar noise level to CLCs like H100) with open bench test station so all were using same temperature of air. Air cooling running 17dB quieter was only 1c warmer and when runnng 1dB louder air cooling was 8c cooler.
    PC-Cooling video review above data came from:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6xrsuPwDbo

Anyone who has done any actual testing of air cooling vs CLC has similar results to above. Thing is most air coolers do not have the extreme fans Silver Arrow SB-E (& IB-E) Extreme have. Only one I know of is Silverstone HE01/HE01-V.2

True, but it's one easily resolved with only a little knowledge of what to look for. Most cases only need a fan or two added to have good airflow. It's not rocket science and only requires a couple minutes of reading to know what is needed. Below is link to basic guides for how airflow works and how to setup case airflow.
    https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

With CLCs is more often user mounts it as intake then brags about how much cooler CPU is .. but never mentions GPU and other component temps are often 2-6c higher.

Your last 2 paragraphs are not old news, but false news:
    • No, there are not fewer fans, CLCs add an additon of 2x 120mm / 2x 140mm fans mounted on radiator that are also functioning as additional case fans.
    • Yes, there are a few cases/builds that will not work with anything but CLC, AIO or small custom loop, but they are the exception, not the rule.
    • As for neater many of use thing the 2 black snakes are much uglier than a good air cooler. Just look at obitalwalsh post #48 to seen what I mean about black snakes. Sorry, orbitalwalsh, you have a nice cool system but it definitely is not neat and tidy.;)
    • CLCs are definitely not quieter than air cooling. There is almost always some pump and coolant noise invovled at idle that does not exist with an air cooler.
    • CLCs are also not more efficient than air coolers, neither in performance or in costs. Air cooling cools as well or better, is more dependable/lasts longer, and is lower cost.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. Yadda

Wise Guy

Lol.

I think I've said all I need to. This is getting odd now. :(

Btw, Doyll, I know quite a bit about airflow. I've been at this game for 20 years including 2 years working as a bench tech. I've seen your advice over the years, including telling someone to place a piece of card between their GPU and CPU cooler to improve temps.

Enough said. ;)
    [​IMG]

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/29099085

3. doyll

Soldato

Card from front of CPU cooler to front of case between front intake fans and from motherboard to side of case blocks and thus stops the heated exhaust air coming off of GPU from moving up and mixing with cool intake air moving back to CPU cooler. Also removing PCIe back slot covers from case almost always improves GPU temps by increasing rear vent area around GPU so more cool air coming in the front and sometimes bottom intakes can flow to, on back and out of case.

Enough said .... ;)

4. Yadda

Wise Guy

Yea, airflow issues aside, a flap of cardboard inside a PC is a really fantastic idea.

Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

5. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

Google the quotes I gave you. I CBA to go through all that again. November 2018 in one of the RMA threads, IIRC... I'll bet it was a Corsair model, too.
    OCUKers don't go in for AIOs as much as they used to. Most recent posts are about people not wanting to repeat that mistake, or make it in the first place.

Oh, I see, Well in that case, you're absolutely right. No-one using the terms at all, except Doyll. No-one at all.... not a soul... Nope... Definitely not...

https://rog.asus.com/articles/cooli...-your-guide-to-rogs-all-in-one-cooler-family/
    https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=18&family=Cooling&chipset=CPU+Closed+Loop+Cooler
    https://blog.nzxt.com/how-closed-loop-liquid-cooling-works/

All made by Asetek, I believe... ?

Right, right... and I suppose there are no actual Volkswagens around, as they're all advertised as "Cars", yes?

Well you're still here, arguing the point and taking it to trawling the internet for proof either way...
    Guess you're not "most people", then?

6. Yadda

Wise Guy

You clearly don't understand what I post.

There are plenty of AIO advice threads on the 1st page of the water-cooling forum and no-one has laughed them out at all. It's all in your head.

Here they are:
    https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/aio-for-2700x-in-500d-obsidian.18844602/
    https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/aio-for-8700k.18844262/
    https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/rec-me-an-aio-cooler-for-amd-2700x.18844042/

PS Jesus Christ isn't the Christian god. That's the big fella in the clouds, not the little fella on the cross.

7. doyll

Soldato

I stand corrected, you are correct water cooling forum is not laughing CLCs out.

But your other claims of number of leaks/failure are not at all accurate.

As for JS you are a total ... never mind, it's obvious to anyone reading this that your prespective of things is hardly realistic, and your last sentence only proves you will not even admit you cursed by taking the name of Christian god in vain. Seems you are simply unable to admit when you are wrong.

8. Yadda

Wise Guy

I'm trying to understand why you would make such a wild and easily disprovable claim: that "AIO coolers are laughed out of the water-cooling forum".

It's a bit odd. :confused:

I'll tell you what will get laughed out though - suggesting people stick cardboard flaps inside their PC like you did.

9. deuse

Capodecina

Very nice :)

I picked the 280 CPU because it has a fill hole.

10. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

Failure?
    You repeatedly specified 'leak', not failure, but as you'll know from reading the threads pump failure is by far the most common issue on AIOs.
    You'll also find custom loop issues more common because they're down to the user, hence them asking what they can do to fix it. When AIOs fail, especially CLCs, most people don't bother posting any more and just raise an RMA. Case in point - My own CLC failed. I didn't even bother RMAing it, let alone posting a thread on it. By your logic, that lack of post means it didn't fail, though.

From your own links:
    "corsair and bequiet have good rma/customer service - alphacool not so good , but your first port of call would be OCUK/reseller anyways"
    Why would Orbital even mention who has good RMA, unless failures were common enough to actually be a factor in model choice?

How fortunate for me that I wasn't arguing that, then, eh..... nor half the other things you seem to be contesting.
    Perhaps re-read what has been said, rather than arguing what you think has been said?
    I'm not going to pull the 'logical fallacy' card like a ****, but you're not doing yourself any favours either...

And had I posted a pump failure (which is still a failure), you'd have bitched about it not being a "leak".

You were struggling to see why something that's "just a cooler" was of such concern to some people - My point is that they spend loads of money on swanky PCs, so why would they then entrust the very essential cooling for that PC to a device that's been manufactured to a price point, is sealed so cannot be maintained if it starts to deteriorate, and has only the possible recompense of a warranty that may or may not cover their specific circumstances?

If anything, I'd argue that those buying AIOs because they're on a budget would be better off with air cooling, as custom loops are way above their price bracket.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2019
  11. Yadda

Wise Guy

1) A leak is a failure.

2) If you weren't arguing that AIO's are more likely to kill a PC than custom loops, what did you mean by this?
    You've lost me on point 1 I'm afraid, but anyway on to point 2.

I've nothing more to add to what I've already said. You're scared of AIO's for reasons I don't understand and I'm not because I hardly ever see anyone complaining about them failing.

Can I suggest we leave it at that?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2019
  12. TheMadHatter

Hitman

i brought a h115i pro platinum yesterday just testing it out now just had aida64 on for last ten minutes and highest temp was 62c i know before i had my noctua d15 cooler i got higher just video watching and internet browsing 8700k (should i now be worried about the aio ?)

13. Yadda

Wise Guy

I'm surprised you haven't drowned already. :p

14. TheMadHatter

Hitman

:D:p

15. EVH

Don

This thread is a trainwreck. If you love AIOs or custom loops, don't wade in to a thread and spent 200 posts trying to convince everyone else they're wrong.

Locked whilst I clean it up.

16. doyll

Soldato

H115i and NH-D15 have similar cooling abilitys, so if your temps with D15 were much higher just watching videos there was something else wring, like your case was not flowing air like it should or you cooler fan speeds were too slow.

17. TheMadHatter

Hitman

I meant the d15s single fan

18. Danny75

Soldato

There's only 1 degree difference between D15 and D15S so that really doesn't explain it. If temps were higher than 62C just browsing then something else was evidently going on. However, if the H115i works out better for your circumstances then well and good.

19. Parkinson1NX

Gangster

H150i on a 9900k @ 5ghz all core @1.32v, maxing out on AIDA around high 70s after 1 hour. I'm happy with that. Thermal Grizzly paste though.

20. doyll

Soldato

Same answer as before. If when using NH-D15S CPU temp is radically warmer than with H115i it's an airflow issue, either cooler fan is running to slow or case fans are too slow / not able to supply enough cool airflow to cooler. Review in below link shows their performance to be near identical.
    https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8...platinum-liquid-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

Just for comparison, Tweaktown review of H150i on overclocked i7 6700K shows it up to 4c warmer than top air coolers with air coolers making 33-34dB to H150i making 49dB
    https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8540/corsair-h150i-pro-rgb-cpu-cooler-review/index7.html

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019