Who says aio cooling is crap?

Soldato
Thing is i had for 3 1/2 years and seeing as them lovely people at Corsair give at a 5 year warranty i got a free upgrade replacement to a h100i pro also i wouldn't say a big air cooler is quieter, in fact far from it, i know because i removed a noctua nhd-15 because 1 it was too heavy and 2 it sounded like a jet engine and was audible even at lowest setting which evidently made the cooling worse compared to my 3 ml fans on front of the rad at 600rpm and pump on balanced is inaudible and way way quieter than what the nhd-15 so the argument about the noctua being quieter is not true
Your 'argument about about D15 is untrue' for all the reasons above.
Interesting how you know CLCs are quiter than your NH-D15 based only on your skewed and poorly done use of D15. You obvioulsy had your NH-D15 in a system that was not supplying it needed room temp air it needed, and as a result it was using was much warmer than room and had to run it's fans at much higher speed to cool properly.

As for D15 being 'too heavy', can you supply any proof of it damaging anything? I doubt you can because I've never seen any damage resulting from using one. ;)

Your '3 ml fans on front of readiator' are 3ml fans more likely additional airflow through case that was not there with D15.

Anyone can use a CLC. That is your choice. But the reality is a good air cooler cools as well as a CLC at similar abd lower noise levels, will last much, much longer and costs less money.

Associate
Well, I'd also add in my experience now I've used both lately and been silencing the heck out of my setup.

My original H100i (with Noctua A12x25 fans) was able to cool my setup just as cool and "nearly" as quietly as my current Noctua NH-U12A. The pump noise was near negligible (the now identified Coil Whine from the PSU was more loud than it, which also caused me to errorniously identify the pump causing the noise instead of the PSU). So regarding noise levels, if you get lucky with the AIO (emphasis on luck here), you can get something nearly just as quiet as an air cooler. I say "nearly", because fans attached to badly done case mesh grills often causes more noise than desired. You have a bit more space to do something with sound when its further in the case like an air cooler at the CPU location. Although for most people this shouldn't be a concern anyway as the sound level should be low enough to be inaudible for most.

The only direct downside for an AIO I would say, especially in an older case where there isn't much in the way of sound dampening or better designed locations for AIO mounting, is that the GPU temps are much more easily controllable with an air cooler than an AIO. Because the AIO will tend to need to exhaust out, and usually not at the rear of the case, but at the top. This creates funky hot spots where you probably don't want them (under the GPU in the PCI slot area). If the AIO was in as intake, the warmer air is blowing onto the back of the GPU, necessitating a fan to be attached to the rear of the case, but then causing a hotspot there as most fans can't keep up without making a huge ruckuss. So those more into gaming and using very hot cards will likely have more trouble with sound and temperature control with the AIO.

The main advantage of an AIO, for me at least, was that I was able to easily move stuff around, since my hands aren't exactly small. Since the tubes can be moved around as I plugged and unplugged fans or other devices in the system. Something I can't really do with an air cooler tower in the way.

Associate
Oh here we go again.
I just put an AIO on my GPU and the temps and performance are night and day. The system in so much quieter now also.

Last edited:
Associate
Your 'argument about about D15 is untrue' for all the reasons above.
Interesting how you know CLCs are quiter than your NH-D15 based only on your skewed and poorly done use of D15. You obvioulsy had your NH-D15 in a system that was not supplying it needed room temp air it needed, and as a result it was using was much warmer than room and had to run it's fans at much higher speed to cool properly.

As for D15 being 'too heavy', can you supply any proof of it damaging anything? I doubt you can because I've never seen any damage resulting from using one. ;)

Your '3 ml fans on front of readiator' are 3ml fans more likely additional airflow through case that was not there with D15.

Anyone can use a CLC. That is your choice. But the reality is a good air cooler cools as well as a CLC at similar abd lower noise levels, will last much, much longer and costs less money.

Completely untrue, in order for me to keep the temps of the cpu to levels of the h150i pro the fans had to be going some pelt so that is completely untrue, i cannot hear my pump and i i cannot hear my fans and to be honest it's a much cleaner setup than the former, i still have the noctua but it's going to get sold.

Do you know what the maximum spec weight is a zif socket can officially carry? I was shocked myself too when i heard how much over the noctua was.

Fact is 100% my system is inaudible with a 9700k idling no more than 25c in the current climate and game temps at 35-50 with all cores at 5ghz, don't get me wrong the noctua is a cracking air cooler but is NOT quieter than a good AIO.

Associate
Well, I'd also add in my experience now I've used both lately and been silencing the heck out of my setup.

My original H100i (with Noctua A12x25 fans) was able to cool my setup just as cool and "nearly" as quietly as my current Noctua NH-U12A. The pump noise was near negligible (the now identified Coil Whine from the PSU was more loud than it, which also caused me to errorniously identify the pump causing the noise instead of the PSU). So regarding noise levels, if you get lucky with the AIO (emphasis on luck here), you can get something nearly just as quiet as an air cooler. I say "nearly", because fans attached to badly done case mesh grills often causes more noise than desired. You have a bit more space to do something with sound when its further in the case like an air cooler at the CPU location. Although for most people this shouldn't be a concern anyway as the sound level should be low enough to be inaudible for most.

The only direct downside for an AIO I would say, especially in an older case where there isn't much in the way of sound dampening or better designed locations for AIO mounting, is that the GPU temps are much more easily controllable with an air cooler than an AIO. Because the AIO will tend to need to exhaust out, and usually not at the rear of the case, but at the top. This creates funky hot spots where you probably don't want them (under the GPU in the PCI slot area). If the AIO was in as intake, the warmer air is blowing onto the back of the GPU, necessitating a fan to be attached to the rear of the case, but then causing a hotspot there as most fans can't keep up without making a huge ruckuss. So those more into gaming and using very hot cards will likely have more trouble with sound and temperature control with the AIO.

The main advantage of an AIO, for me at least, was that I was able to easily move stuff around, since my hands aren't exactly small. Since the tubes can be moved around as I plugged and unplugged fans or other devices in the system. Something I can't really do with an air cooler tower in the way.

Just this, I've had 2 Corsair aio's now and i cannot hear the pump in my Corsair 570x which isn't exactly a sealed off case, if it lasted 5 years at £150 I'd buy another without a shadow of a doubt.

Associate
just remember that doyll knows it all and has been in your house listening to your computer hence why he knows in your systems the noctua was quieter.

Haha, i can categorically say after having the Eiffel tower strapped to my cpu i could never go back to air cooling a hot cpu, there's just no comparison apart from the fact you may or may not get a leak so what if in warranty let them deal with it and chances of that happening are unlikely, after 5 years I'll purchase another.

Associate
Interesting thread. Not all AIOs are created equal though are they? I am currently running a H100i, which at the time of purchase I thought was really good.

It is certainly quieter and cooler than my previous air cooler, and has not leaked in 2 years of use (although i am noticing some interesting cracks in the rubberised fittings).

For my next CPU cooler, am looking at the Alphacool LT360, as it uses a proper copper radiator and is extendable. I realise that this will not be as good as a custom loop, but is an excellent performer at the price point, which is still a consideration for most...

Associate
doesn't much of a difference - the rad is not the only thing involved in the heat transfer. Aluminium radiates the heat quicker into the air as it is less dense. alphacool has shocking customer service. You'll probably find there is next to no significant difference in normal day to day operations between an asetek 360 and the alphacool.

Soldato
Interesting thread. Not all AIOs are created equal though are they? I am currently running a H100i, which at the time of purchase I thought was really good.

It is certainly quieter and cooler than my previous air cooler, and has not leaked in 2 years of use (although i am noticing some interesting cracks in the rubberised fittings).

For my next CPU cooler, am looking at the Alphacool LT360, as it uses a proper copper radiator and is extendable. I realise that this will not be as good as a custom loop, but is an excellent performer at the price point, which is still a consideration for most...
Not a lot of difference between a quality aluminum and quality copper radiator. CLC aluminum radiators have high count of fins per inch and require higher pressure rated/higher speed fans than quality copper radiators do. But I do not know what the Alphacool AIO radiator fin count or quailty is compared to CLCs, although it does eliminate aluminum from the cooling system, but don't know how much difference that makes. Having threaded fittings and fill port does mean it can be serviced and/or repaired, things that cannot be done on CLCs when the fitting rubber starts cracking like ubiqity has noticed in his CLC. I suspect most CLC pump failures are due to low coolant level and/or gunk buildup in coolant when inhibitors life expectancy is exceeded .. which is about 2 years for most.

Associate
What I like about the Alphacool setup is that you can extend it further with the connectors, and can replace the tubes to create your own setup should you desire.

I am presuming copper is generally considered the better option for cooling compared to aluminum, although expect the difference does not justify the price for the performance gain.

Soldato
While copper radiators are a little higher price, they are not much more expensive than aluminum. Alphacool Aisbaer 240 is only £109.99 and that is not just copper radiator but quick connection as well. And of course a reservoir with fill plug on waterblock as well as threaded fittings into components. I haven't tested one, but I haven't seen any complients either so guess the are holding up. Alphacool makes Silent Loop Aio for be quiet! as well as discontinued Fractal Design Kelvin.

Associate
I did hear some complaints about the quick connector (gamers nexus), but apart from that all the reviews seem positive. As I mentioned, my friend is running the lt360 and his CPU very cold in this setup.

Associate

My 100i lasted 3 1/2 years so was still in warranty, Corsair don't sell these units anymore so if it's faulty you'll get an upgrade, in truth my old h100i v2 was actually still working fine in my delidded 6700k it's only when i upgraded to a 9700k hotter cpu that i noticed some throttling going on which should not be happening with any aio on a soldered chip, i noticed that one pipe was very warm while the rad and the other pipe was not heating up at all, sounded like either a blockage or minor pump failure on h100i v2

Associate
It's 5 years mate, at least in the UK anyway

Trouble is, I have no idea where I ordered it from, and it its wearing out, not actually failed as of yet...

Does overclockers have a time limit on order history? Cant see anything prior to 2016, although know I have made orders since at least 2010...

Associate
Trouble is, I have no idea where I ordered it from, and it its wearing out, not actually failed as of yet...

Does overclockers have a time limit on order history? Cant see anything prior to 2016, although know I have made orders since at least 2010...

I'm not sure with ocuk to be honest mate i got this from up north, you'd have to check with them, usually ocuk send an invoice mate

Back
Top Bottom