1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who should we let in - Ian Hislop BBC2

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Faustus, Jun 22, 2017.

1. stockhausen

Capodecina

Try speaking English in a Paris cafe; better yet, try speaking schoolboy French in a Paris cafe ;)

2. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Done both had litteraly no problem? A smile a slight correction and a polite reassurance that my mangling of French was fine and all was good.

You know the arogant french guy who hates the English is just a meaningless stereotype they're pretty friendly people same as anywhere really.

3. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Well I was in China town and not one of them was speaking English:mad:

Except when they spoke to me of course then they were lovley and had betge r English than me but still I demand the right to eavesdrop without Google translate!

4. Gigabit

Mobster

To be honest I celebrate other languages and cultures, I don't see them as a threat. Embrace it, you might learn stuff. For we are after all, one species.

5. stockhausen

Capodecina

WHAT?

6. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

How many races and people do you think make up the UK population? We are a mongrel race containing genes from almost every country in the world.
    Japan is still a fairly racist country. I have a friend who is married to a Japanese woman and has lived in Japan for years. They still do look down on Western countries according to him.
    Japan also has a strong birth promotion program going which allows men to take time off to start a family.
    Europe is not a dying population, there is just a lot. at the moment, of people born in the decade after the War.
    Powell said exactly the same as you, we were going to be swamped by coloured folk coming here etc. etc. That was not true and likewise your assertion is not either.

7. stockhausen

Capodecina

And no Government?
    A bit like Iraq and Afghanistan then?

8. Evangelion

Capodecina

They both have governments. You might be thinking of Somalia, that proud bastion of free market libertarianism.

9. PsychoPigeon

Wise Guy

I'm failing to see the benefit of inviting millions of people from the third world into Europe, something remainers say is of great enrichment, and then having them compete with our working class. No one seems to bash New Zealand for caring about who can and cannot enter or live in that country - it's only grown up behavior to have some kind of plan instead of just opening the doors. Why is there no forethought about where migrants will end up? How will they live? Will they assimilate and If not then why is there no concern for the abolition of the values that have been fought for up to this point? It's so careless and selfish and appears to be mostly supported by people who want to prove to their liberal friends they're not racist, because in the end it's these liberals who do not live on the council estates and ghettos where the migrants end up.

10. Freakbro

Capodecina

Woah there, you seem to be conflating many complex and disparate scenarios into one simple equation of 1+1 = 5

Before we can break down the questions in the second part of your rant, let alone the first, we need to know if you're talking about :

European citizens via FOM (not third world countries)
    Non-EU migration (fully under our control)
    Asylum seekers (with legitimate claims from oppressive regimes)
    Refugees (from current war torn countries)
    Illegal immigrants (who are.... illegal)

Then we can answer where they will end up, how they will live and whether they will "assimilate"

11. Caracus2k

Mobster

Prior to the 1950`s the UK was no more diverse them most other nations around the world.

I posted this previously when someone tried to claim that the Sami people of Scandinavia were a (rare) example of an 'indigenous' people in Europe.

12. checjb

Wise Guy

If anyone is interested, "The strange death of Europe" by Douglas Murray (also on Audible) is a very interesting view on the demographic and societal changes that have occurred as a result of the mass immigration in the last few decades. It also has exactly the opposite point of view to Ian Hislop...with facts and academic study, not opinions as the basis.

13. Faustus

Soldato

You get a flavour of this point of view here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VzbOy2cN1A

14. Stretch

Capodecina

We do?

15. Faustus

Soldato

I'm not sure we're inviting them. Many appear intent on getting here regardless of anyone's views or wishes.

16. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

Hmm Douglas Murray Im not sure if you are in support of him or not but if you are it would explain a lot. If you are not in support of his thinking than you still remain a mystery to me.

17. Faustus

Soldato

If you look back you will see I was responding to post 332.

Just think of me as an enigma.

18. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

Have you spelled enema wrong? :D

19. Faustus

Soldato

No, as we're not discussing Labour in this instance.

20. No1newts

Capodecina

What are people's opinions in the, seeming, sudden surge of illegal migrants trying to illegally cross the channel on vessels?

I'm largely pro migration and enjoy engaging with other cultures, that being said I don't see someone trying to cross the channel as refugee. They are safe within Europe, probably have been for a fair period of time to be able to reach the northern french coast, at this stage I see them as economic migrants expecting/hoping for a better deal than they have in the rest of europe.

I don't really agree with the calls from the more liberal minded folk (with which I normally align) that we owe them safe haven. Why? Because they prefer the UK to France but because at one point they originated from a war torn county they can ignore the normal rules everyone else has to live by?

Seems to be getting more extreme (more since Christmas trying than all the rest of 2018 combined) be interesting to see the governments response.