1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who should we let in - Ian Hislop BBC2

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Faustus, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Threepwood

Mobster

A lot of folk who want to make it to the uk have family already here and/or they already speak english.

If they had family in France and spoke french they would stay in France.

2. A2Z

Sgarrista

I think they should be intercepted and sent back to France. If they don't want to then just tell them they will be left in the middle of the sea/thrown overboard to drown. They will soon be rowing back where they came from.

They are safe in France from whatever they ran away from in their home country. They don't need to come here. They are just being greedy.

3. thenewoc

Mobster

No reason for anyone to be fleeing France at this moment so they should be deposited back with the french authorities. It should also count against such individuals applications for asylum.

4. VincentHanna

Capodecina

5. footman

Mobster

If there is no reason why do you think they are doing it?
    Why is coming from a war torn country the only reason? It would seem that they are also coming from countries with repressive regimes and appalling human rights records that put any dissenters in fear of their lives and their families lives.

6. thenewoc

Mobster

I mean none of our neighbouring countries are at war so no need for anyone trying to enter our country without going through the usual process with a passport / visa. These immigrants being highlighted recently in the news are illegal immigrants and should have no right to claim asylum here as they could have done that in the first country they came to when leaving their origin. Good to see Sajid Javid reinforcing this position on the news tonight, we have a law on this so the position hasn't changed, it's a matter of enforcing these existing laws.

Of course they have other reasons for attempting to enter our country illegally such as economic ones or at least their perception of a more prosperous future. However, I don't think we should be paying to house these people via local council provisions which were never intended for this purpose, neither do I see any advantage for genuine UK citizens to see increases in homeless and no doubt increases in crime.

7. thenewoc

Mobster

8. footman

Mobster

All these immigrants have to do is claim asylum immediately and they cannot be charged with anything. Also you surely do realise that this “first safe country” is an absolute myth.

9. No1newts

Capodecina

I think the point about crime is needless and inflammatory, there is no basis to say/think/suggest they are criminals. That is just scaremongering, the rest however is a good post.

They have ceased to be asylum seekers on reaching Europe (fleeing from whatever they are fleeing from on reaching Europe they are safe) and at the stage they cross the entire continent then try to illegally ship themselves across the channel they are, at best, economic migrants but realistically they are illegal immigrants.

I am yet to see a single sensible argument that refutes the above point. Every contradiction to it is just "you are racist" which is just an attempt hoping the racist label I'll shut down debate and force us to let people in. I cannot think of once in the last 6 years I've been complimentary about the Tories but in this instance I think Javid is doing the right thing. If France was at war and they were fleeing to the UK for safety I would be on the complete other side of the debate but as it is they are just after perceive to be a better life, ironically it probably won't end up that way once we leave.

It may be a myth in terms of legality (I assume that's what you are inferring) but being logical it is clear as day they are just playing a game to get to the UK. As soon as they reach Europe and decide to continue to travel looking for a "better" deal they are no longer asylum seekers as they are safe ergo they are economic migrants. Legally they can play the game but just because they can doesn't mean we should accept it or challenge it.