Who to tell I've been offered another position first?

Soldato
Hi all,

I have been offered a post elsewhere and pretty sure I'll be taking it. I'm never good at the whole 'I'm leaving' bit though.

This might seem obvious on the face of it but the way this business works is a bit different.

It's a family business and so all but 1 of the directors are related to each other.

I ask permission from my manager for annual leave but would never discuss things like pay-rises directly with him, for that I'd go to my director.

I am obviously closer to my manager and we work in tandem together a lot of the time but all he will do is go and tell the director and leave it to him.

Should I tell the director first, the manager first or both together? I know I am over-thinking this but I'll need a reference :p

Thanks for any advice.

Soldato
if it's a small family business why not just ask for a chat with your manager and the director at the same time, 2 birds with one stone and you can have a letter of resignation to leave with them.

Soldato
Having gone through a similar process only this week I went through line management first and got him to break the news to the 2 owners/directors.

I had been bricking it for ages how they would react and thought they may have been a bit peeved I didn't go directly to them first...they both couldn't have been nicer and more supportive!

Good luck, I know exactly how you are feeling tight now.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, I told my boss who told my director. He's now trying to see what he can do to get me to stay but that will be another thread if it comes to it!

Caporegime
Thanks guys, I told my boss who told my director. He's now trying to see what he can do to get me to stay but that will be another thread if it comes to it!
At this point you have to consider what was making you look elsewhere, take the interview and then consider taking the job. I'm sure you know the majority of people that look to move but end up staying also end up leaving anyway within a year-eighteen months. Is it money? Commute? Opportunity? Hours? Lack of responsibility?

Soldato
At this point you have to consider what was making you look elsewhere, take the interview and then consider taking the job. I'm sure you know the majority of people that look to move but end up staying also end up leaving anyway within a year-eighteen months. Is it money? Commute? Opportunity? Hours? Lack of responsibility?

Absolutely this. Something has made you turn your head away from the current employer, have a long hard think about your motivations about leaving. Money isn't always everything, just don't be in a position years down the line wondering 'what if?'.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Don’t stay. You’ll mark your card as someone looking to move on and even though they’ll say nothing has changed you can bet it will.

Having worked for a family run company that would make people take gardening leave once they’d handed notice in... Ive seen first hand how some business see progression as a negative.

Caporegime
^^^ what he said

I guess there is a possible exception - assuming you apply for jobs and attend interviews on an ad hoc basis anyway or you are pretty confident you could get another offer fairly rapidly then there is potential to make use of the counter offer to boost your existing pay and then use that (now boosted) existing pay to attract an even better new external job offer in 6-12 months time... but basically you're still likely moving. Perhaps better to do this in a larger firm where they're maybe going to take it a bit less personally i.e. where your manager and his manager are also employees and they know that you wanted more money but they were constrained by how much they can uplift your salary till you handed your notice in so understand why you did it etc..

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, it's a real conundrum. I was actually approached through LinkedIn for the job and wasn't actively looking.

They've offered me £1500 more than new employer to stay (well assuming I pass my 6 months probation, it's £2500 more until then). My manager also let me know he has a second interview next week for a role so that could free up his job but can't really bank on that.

New place is very different, media group with roots in education amongst other things, they're more relaxed but at the same time seems a lot more intense. Weird comparison but the vibe sort of reminds me when I joined a very high end WoW guild :p Makes me a bit uneasy and feel a bit out of place. An actual appraisal system is in place and cost of living wage increases happen each year.

Seems an easy choice on paper but it's nice to be comfortable which I am here, even if I have a few grievances and I have a lot going on in my personal/financial life due to a breakup which makes short term money desirable and the stress of a new role less desirable.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Leave.

If your current job was that great you wouldn't have even started the thread.

Back
Top Bottom