Who uses a 3.5mm to usb-c adapter?

Soldato
I'm curious what the experience is like to use one every day? I remember someone saying audio quality isn't as good - can that be true? Can the adapters break, fall out etc?

I have some excellent wired earphones that I won't be getting rid of any time soon, so I'm slightly dubious of getting a new phone without a jack input.

This morning I'm seriously thinking about buying the OP6 (non T) specifically for the jack. But I'm tempted by the on-screen fingerprint reader and larger battery in the 6T. The thing I use my phone mostly for is listening to music and podcasts though.. Shame the 6 won't go down in price as that would have swung it.

Ideally I want something smaller but that's another story...

Soldato
To be honest these days when you can buy a pair of Bluetooth headphones, with what to me seems like decent quality audio, for around £30 I personally don't see it as much of an issue anymore. It's far more convenient than faffing about with cables.

I can appreciate that if you have expensive headphones you might feel differently about the 3.5mn Jack disappearing though. Regardless it's clear new phones won't have headphone connectors anymore so you won't have a choice in a year or two's time.

Soldato
OP
Audio is awful
Seriously? :(

And yes, I am talking from an audiophiles pov. Perhaps this will be my last phone with a jack but I'm currently still on my OP One which has lasted me 5 years so if I can get more than 2-3yrs on this next phone I'll admit defeat on the one after that!

Soldato
I've heard the quality from my friends iPhones and yes the audio quality is rubbish with the disadvantage of the headphone jack coming loose as you move about. One could say it is purposely done to push customers towards more expensive BT solutions.

Not sure what I'll do in future but I definitely prefer wired over the faff of having to charge tiny devices with tiny capacity batteries that'll degrade in no time so you can order more. Hardly good for the environment either but hey - you look COOL with one of them sticking out of your ears.

Doesn't help that BT on Android devices is heavily hit and miss. Complete rubbish on Google devices I find, whilst it is solid on Samsung's.

Caporegime
Get an LG V30 if music is that important to you. The adaptor is also working a DAC so will depend on the adaptor used.

The USB type C mess will sort itself out soon, I'm surprised at the lack of smaller DACs with 3.5mm output for people with headphones that need something decent to drive them with.

Personally I've not had any issues with BT audio on Android phones, I found it worse on iPhones if the headphones didn't support AAC and had to use the SBC codec. My last two phones supported LDAC with my Sony headphones and I won't be bothering with wires any more.

I've got a 6T so I'll compare with the 3.5mm port on my S8+ and see if there's any difference.

** Edit - just tried, both sound similar in terms of volume and quality, the 6T has some options that can be enabled with the adaptor connected that lets you change the audio profile without introducing clipping, artifacts or a loss in volume. BT is absolutely spot on as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Doesn't help that BT on Android devices is heavily hit and miss. Complete rubbish on Google devices I find, whilst it is solid on Samsung's.

I use 2 pairs of BT headphones, some Anker Soundsurge and B&W P7 Wireless out of my Pixel 2 XL as well as a Monic bluetooth speaker. Apart from having to disable HD audio on the speaker, I have had no problems.

Soldato
I only ever have issues with BT headphones. My Nexus 6P, and Pixel C just can't hold a connection well at all to the headphones I've tried. Yet they connect and play perfectly to my UE Megabooms. My S8+ does the lot without issue.

It is widely known that there are a heap of issues with BT connectivity on android though. It is a common complaint.

Soldato
No Bluetooth issues ever in the last 18 months on my oneplus 5. Used for calls and audio.

I used a usb c to 3.5 on the Huawei Mate 20 Pro and that worked and sounded pretty much as good as the OP5.

Personally I use Bluetooth now, very rarely wired anymore. I'm was all about the quality before but now I've sacrificed some of that for inconvenience and I'm happier for it. Wire free between the headphone and device is mega liberating.

For now I use the Jaybird X2 and B&W P7.

Man of Honour
Even if you have a good dac, it's frustrating not being able to use headphones without worrying about the battery on either the headphones or the phone. Solutions for using wired headphones while charging are terrible.

Caporegime
Wireless charging or quick charging to an extent helps. My phone only spends about 30m a day on a charger. I normally stick to the 40-80 rule and my phone can charge from 40-80 in just over 20 mins. Headphones last 30 hours.

Soldato
With fast charging for phones now available I don't see how that is a problem, at all. Plus carry wired headphones in your bag for when the wireless ones deplete. Many wireless cans have a wired option too.

hux

hux

Soldato
I do but only as a temporary measure, as I have a Fiio btr3 coming.

The usb out does have an upside, usually means the phones will be decently powered.

Soldato
OP
a lot of talk of BT but as stated I've a lovely pair of wired phones so I'm not even considering ditching them.

One could say it is purposely done to push customers towards more expensive BT solutions.
This is what I'm thinking, to be honest. I'm imagining manufacturers have barely sweated any time over making the dongles because they figure everyone should just go wireless...

** Edit - just tried, both sound similar in terms of volume and quality, the 6T has some options that can be enabled with the adaptor connected that lets you change the audio profile without introducing clipping, artifacts or a loss in volume. BT is absolutely spot on as well.
Thanks for that. Now, if you had a pair of wired headphones you want to keep using for as long as possible - would you buy the 6 or 6T? :p

Caporegime
Probably the 6, if I could get over the notch. One of the reasons why I cancelled my Mate 20 pro order because I looked at one in store and the notch made notifications a mess. At least on the OnePlus you can fine tune that.

Man of Honour
I've been listening to good BT headphones (Sony MDR 1000X) on one of my phones (Lenovo P2) and thought they were really good. But a while ago I impulse bought a used LG V20 on the MM. I grabbed it because it has a built in DAC, better camera than the P2, IR Blaster, removable battery and they seem quite cheap fo a previously top-end phone. wanted to grab one of the last old skool phones before no-one did those features anymore. I don't use it much yet but it will replace my P2 shortly. However a good set of Sennheiser open back headphones (I forget the exact model) sound fantastic on the V20's DAC. Battery life isn't an issue with a swapable battery.

So if you're using a phone as a regular media device then a phone with a DAC and headphone socket will be an improvement over BT. But realistically most people will not have a good DAC in the phone and they will be using earbuds in a noisy area. So for commuting I think BT is better than a headphone jack.

Still very glad I grabbed a V20 while I could though!

Associate
I'm really tempted to get the OP6 from gearbest currently £309 for the 64gb version. I've had my 5T for a year now and it's still fine but that price is so tempting.

Soldato
OP
It's only $439 for the 128GB version. I'm tempted but have never heard of Gearbest. Chinese dropshipper correct? Are they to be trusted?

Back
Top Bottom