1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who wants to visit the Alps in 2017?

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by Kreeeee, May 24, 2016.

1. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

In Memory of 4T5:
    4T5 (aka Malc30) was a forum legend who unfortunately passed away earlier this year. He had a wicked sense of humour with many "Doris" stories to tell and was so excited about this trip to the Alps.

I am gutted that he didn't get to come on this adventure with us, but I plan on doing this every year if possible in honour of 4T5. I'm sure he'll be looking down at us with glee at the beautiful scenery, perfect corners and the roar of thunder upsetting the local (very nicely decorated) cows.

Sample of the Roads and Views:
    A sample of the roads we'd ride:

Dates & Details:

Dates: August 28th to September 1st
    People can arrive/leave at any point over the weekends, but my guided tour will be the 5 weekdays.

Accommodation:
    You will all be staying at "Chez Nous" (that's "our house" in foreign) for all but one night. I will arrange a low cost stay in a hostel or similar for the one night in Ticino.

Riding etiquette:
    TBC (note to self: add formation information, waiting for others, if you get lost etc)

Motorway Vignette:
    You will need a 2017 motorway vignette for some very minor parts of the journey, they are readily available at border petrol stations and border controls.

The Plan:

Day 1 - 280km:
    Warm up at Gurnigel:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.google.ch/maps/dir/Frib...8bf931!2m2!1d7.1513992!2d46.8030892!3e0?hl=en

Followed by Mosses, Pillon and Jaun:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.google.ch/maps/dir/Frib...8bf931!2m2!1d7.1513992!2d46.8030892!3e0?hl=en

Potential to jump off a mountain with a parachute at Jaun if people are up for it:
    [​IMG]

Day 2 - 340km:
    Interlaken, Susten, Furka and Grimsel:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.google.ch/maps/dir/Frib...m2!1d7.1513992!2d46.8030892!2m1!1b1!3e0?hl=en

Day 3 - 412km:
    Go to Locarno via the south of Switzerland:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.google.ch/maps/dir/Gare...ea3a9a!2m2!1d8.7942643!2d46.1669988!3e0?hl=en

Stay the night in Locarno, maybe swim in the lake:
    [​IMG]

Day 4 - 367km:
    Centovalli loop to the start the day:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.google.ch/maps/dir/Loca...d8.7942643!2d46.1669988!2m2!1b1!2b1!3e0?hl=en

Return to Fribourg via Lukmanier, Oberalp, Susten (worth going both ways on this pass) and Interlaken:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.google.ch/maps/dir/Loca...d7.1504702!2d46.8024225!2m2!1b1!2b1!3e0?hl=en

Day 5 - 417km:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.google.ch/maps/dir/Gare...d7.1504702!2d46.8024225!2m2!1b1!2b1!3e0?hl=en

Bonus Day - 273km:
    Exploring the Jura(ssic park) region:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.google.ch/maps/dir/Gare...d7.1504702!2d46.8024225!2m2!1b1!2b1!3e0?hl=en

Anyone arriving early or leaving late can explore the roads here with me. Jura is much less mountainous than the Alps but is definitely worth exploring.

Costs:
    I will not be charging anything for any accommodation, although you will be expected to buy your own food and not raid my cupboards ;)

I will also not accept any fuel, food or accommodation donations. Instead I would encourage anyone going on this trip (and those who aren't but are so inclined) to donate to the Air Ambulance Service JustGiving charity page setup in 4T5's name: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/MALC4T5

Attending:
    * - 4T5/Malc30
    1 - Sin_Chase
    2 - dsb
    3 - TallPaul_S
    4 - Crowze
    5 - Canon Fou (Swiss motovlogger, bit mad and only speaks foreign)
    6 - Drangueos
    7 -
    8 -

Reserves (unlimited):
    1 - Gilly
    2 - Gamefreak501
    3 - Guy who changes his bike too much (aka Clov!s if he doesn't change his name)

Old stuff:

Go to Locarno via Verbier, Grand St Bernard and Centovalli:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.google.ch/maps/dir/Gare...d8.7942643!2d46.1669988!2m2!1b1!2b1!3e0?hl=en

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  2. Junglist

Soldato

Interesting thread idea. Though I don't feel ive been part of the community here for long enough so I don't deserve.

Will look forward to seeing the videos though :) I do like Switzerland. Though I'd be scared I'd only eat raclette all day!

3. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

There is no entitlement here, if you want in then you're in. The only thing I would ask is that I have a call with anyone who wants to stay at my house to make sure they're not nut bags :p

The food here is quite diverse, more so than in the UK anyway, and I have a pizza oven in my garden anyway :p

4. TallPaul_S

Soldato

Ha, that rules out most of us then :p

I may not make it down to the Alps this year so will 100% be doing at least 10 days next summer in the Alps. It might take a bit of planning, but an OCUK meet in the Alps would be awesome :D Would give people plenty of time to book time off work/bribe the missus etc. :D

Answering your questions:

How long have you been riding for? 2 years as at May 2016
    Are you experienced with riding mountain roads? Only Welsh ones ;)
    How long would you like to visit for? 10-14 day trip, but not all in one place - so 2-3 days max
    How many km's per day would be ideal? - 300-400km max
    Are you looking to maximise riding time or to experience the views and other activities too? Both!
    Are you happy to be recorded if all faces and plates are blurred? Yep
    What type of weather/temperature would you like (it reached 38 degrees here last summer)? Dry and warm
    Would you rather stay in a large communal room at my house or hotels/hostels? Either/both
    Would you prefer to bring your own bike (if so what bike) or rent here? Own bike

5. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Thanks for that.

The nice thing about where I live is that it is very easy to do some mountain pass loops in a day (Susten/Furka/Grimsel or Gurnigel etc) and end up back at home.

You then can also easily spend a day taking the nice roads to Italy or France, stay in a hostel there overnight for pennies, and then ride back the next day.

I think I can easily fill a weeks worth of riding great roads using my home as a base, and easily 10 days if we add things like jumping off mountains with a parachute into the mix.

6. benji182

Wise Guy

I like the Idea. What area are you in again Kreee? I did a season in Chatel so probs not too far from where you were and I always said to myself I'd love to come back in the Summer to experience the Alps without snow. Even come March/April when all the snow was melting the clear blue skies and warmth from the Sun was amazing.

Had never really considered riding though. If I did bring my own bike I'd need there to be a petrol station ever 200km :(

7. TallPaul_S

Soldato

It's not outer mongolia, they have petrol stations there :p and running water, electricity... :D

120 miles on a tank is fine to get down to the alps, just means if you motorway it down there you'll be stopping every couple of hours rather than every 3 hours. Once you're down there you wouldn't want to be doing more than 250 miles a day, so that's 2 fill ups - one in the evening before you stop so you haven't got the fanny around looking for fuel and have a full tank to start the day on, and one mid-route. the rules for group riding are to all fill up with the smallest tank anyway, unless you have something like a GSA with double the tank range.

8. Crowze

Wise Guy

Very tempting, will depend on various things coming together but I'd love to do a tour of the Alps.

How long have you been riding for? 11 years
    Are you experienced with riding mountain roads? I live in Cambridgeshire :p Done the occasional pass in Wales and the Lake District though
    How long would you like to visit for? A week sounds about right
    How many km's per day would be ideal? Wouldn't want to do much more than 300km, depends on which bike
    Are you looking to maximise riding time or to experience the views and other activities too? Mix it up
    Are you happy to be recorded if all faces and plates are blurred? Sure
    What type of weather/temperature would you like (it reached 38 degrees here last summer)? Anything that doesn't include ice
    Would you rather stay in a large communal room at my house or hotels/hostels? Either would work. Any local campsites?
    Would you prefer to bring your own bike (if so what bike) or rent here? Own bike, hopefully by that time I'll have my old Guzzi running otherwise Caponord

What do you have in the way of security? Neither of my bikes are particularly valuable but a whole group parked up may be something of a target.

9. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

I only get 230km before my reserve light hits anyway. I live very close to lake Gruyere, right between the Alps and Jura mountain ranges.

Camping is very restrictive in Switzerland, and for the price of the dedicated sites you may as well stay in dorms. There is of course the option of staying in France though.

In terms of security I have an electronic sliding front gate to my driveway and an empty single garage big enough for a lot of bikes. I also live in one of the lowest crime rate areas in the world, and if there's no room in the garage your bike will be under the cover of a canopy and just outside the wall-to-wall windows of where you'll be sleeping at the back of my house. I have over 3200m2 of land and no neighbours or anyone from the street will see the bikes.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  10. Nomisf

Man of Honour

This sounds like an interesting prospect! I used to Drive/Holiday to Switzerland with my parents a lot when I was a kid, but never had the confidence to go back alone. My French is useless and my German non-existant!

Would love to go back with some backup!

How long have you been riding for? 14 Months
    Are you experienced with riding mountain roads? Quite a bit of North Wales & Lake District
    How long would you like to visit for? No-Preference with enough notice
    How many km's per day would be ideal? 300-400 Max
    Are you looking to maximise riding time or to experience the views and other activities too? A decent mix
    What type of weather/temperature would you like (it reached 38 degrees here last summer)? As long as it's dry !
    Would you rather stay in a large communal room at my house or hotels/hostels? Either :)
    Would you prefer to bring your own bike (if so what bike) or rent here? My Own

Do you guys (all) typically use comms on group rides ?

11. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Language won't be an issue, I know enough French to get by.

Okay, it looks like everyone so far is keen on doing biking plus some other activities which is awesome. Also everyone wants to use their own bikes which makes things much easier.

I normally ride with my MC (the group in the video) without comms, but this would just be me and you OcUKers.

I still prefer to ride without comms as it keeps it all about the ride, plus I get a lot of wind noise on my naked bike at completely legal speeds in the mountains!

12. arfoll

Wise Guy

I'm well up for this :) Been thinking of doing Alps &| pyrenees for a while...

How long have you been riding for? 2yrs
    Are you experienced with riding mountain roads? Not really, just lake district and wales, ridden in france (brittany) a bit before
    How long would you like to visit for? 1 week I don't get much hols :/
    How many km's per day would be ideal? ~400km?
    Are you looking to maximise riding time or to experience the views and other activities too? Riding & eating cheese!
    What type of weather/temperature would you like (it reached 38 degrees here last summer)? Dry/Sunny/10C+?
    Would you rather stay in a large communal room at my house or hotels/hostels? Either
    Would you prefer to bring your own bike (if so what bike) or rent here? Mine, don't know what it is yet, would probably have unknown new bike by then :)

Oh and I speak fluent french which I guess may be handy.

13. MowyTone

Mobster

Too many unknowns around the other halves business and what spare cash I will have to commit in any shape or form at the moment. However! Given the chance I would love to.

How long have you been riding for? smaller bikes 5 years then a gap and big bikes 2 years - all daily
    Are you experienced with riding mountain roads? Not really
    How long would you like to visit for? about a week
    How many km's per day would be ideal? 300-400 is enough for me in my experience
    Are you looking to maximise riding time or to experience the views and other activities too? best of both
    Are you happy to be recorded if all faces and plates are blurred? sure
    What type of weather/temperature would you like (it reached 38 degrees here last summer)? warm and dry are good
    Would you rather stay in a large communal room at my house or hotels/hostels? As long as I don't end up 'little spoon' I don't mind
    Would you prefer to bring your own bike (if so what bike) or rent here? Would rather use I bike I know

14. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

None of this is binding, I'm just getting an idea for what to plan and when.

15. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

16. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Ok so I'm thinking August 28th to September 1st to make the most of that bank holiday, meaning 4 days off work. That gives people the weekend to get to me and then the weekend again to get back. Anyone arriving early or leaving late can do some bonus riding in the area.

I will plan something like the following:

Day 1:
    Warm up at Gurnigel loop, followed by Les Mosses, Pillon and Jaun mountain passes. Potential to jump off a mountain with a parachute at Jaun.

Day 2:
    A day going through the French and Italian passes, entering France via Forclaz pass, and returning via the via the Grand Saint Bernard pass.

Day 3: Big day of 370km!
    Gruyere National park - Valais - Verbier pass - Zermatt (see the mountain on Toblerone packets) - Centovalli pass - Titcino/Italy overnight stay

Day 4: Another ~350-400km day!
    Return to Gruyere via Lake Lucerne, the Susten, Furka and Grimsel passes and Interlaken (surfers in the river and great tunnels).

Day 5: Length can range from 200 to 400km depending on how everyone feels by this point.
    A mild end to the week exploring the lakes and passes in the Jura (of Jurassic park fame) mountain region.

This means staying for one night in a hostel, and the rest at my house.

I will probably be importing a motorcycle here next year so I can maybe do the UK to Switzerland leg with others if they want to.

17. pugheaven

Wise Guy

Interesting thread and one I may well be interested in due to each year I go over to Europe for 2 weeks anyway... Mmmmm, let me sleep on this one, would be good.

18. benji182

Wise Guy

I have a wedding in Spain so no can do that weekend but maybe the year after next ;)

19. TallPaul_S

Soldato

The Alps are en-route to Spain, sort of... :p that would be one hell of a trip :D

Kreeee, that does sound like a nice few days :cool: I'd probably add another week onto my trip and head down to Lake Garda and the dolomites for 4-5 days before heading back home.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  20. The_Abyss

Capodecina

A year too late! We leave for the Alps in 8 days' time!