1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who will be the next Labour leader?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by BowdonUK, Dec 14, 2019.

1. BowdonUK

Mobster

I see the potential candidates are circling at the moment.

According to Ladbrokes betting site these are the top odds;

Keir Starmer: 5/2
    Rebecca Long Bailey: 4/1
    Angela Rayner: 6/1
    Jess Phillips: 6/1
    Lisa Nandy: 8/1
    Richard Burgon: 100/1

Out of that selection I would prefer Keir Starmer. What is your preferred choice?

2. GAC

Mobster

old mcdonald has a funny list

all momentum loons, seems he doesn't want the party to move forward no matter what he claims about a new generation.

and yeah from the ones mentioned starmer by a country mile. the problem is will the unions and momentum allow it.

3. Nasher

Capodecina

I think Keir Starmer is probably the most likely to actually win anything.

4. Quartz

Sgarrista

Starmer would likely destroy Boris at the despatch box.

5. Sankari

Capodecina

Yikes, those are the choices? Bloody hell. I guess Starmer is the best of a bad bunch.

6. Dolph

Man of Honour

It will certainly be an interesting contest. The Labour Party membership is far removed from the electorate, and this has been the case since 2015.

Much of the future fortunes of the party depend on whether the membership, as a collective, wants to be ideologically pure, or actually try and hold power and make genuine changes to people's lives.

There will probably also be some reluctance to stand from many mps, given the state of the party now.

7. ltron

Wise Guy

Keir Starmer would be the best I think. Jess Phillips is good too, although as we learned recently: people don't like 'shrill' women who are strong and forceful in their delivery so maybe not the best choice.

8. jsmoke

Sgarrista

Good point, yes it's the membership who elected Corbyn, I do wonder what their reasoning was, are they huddled round a table with a book on Trotskyism trying to work out who fits the criteria the best?

Blair just made it up as he went along imo.

9. Royal Fleet

Hitman

Sadly as it will be only be voted for by paying members it will be a left winger (just like Boris was voted in by the paying Tories).

The parties need to think about whether their base is actually the best judge of who would win an election!

10. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Are all you righters saying Starmer for a joke, like Corbyn?

If any Id put a vote as Im probably one of the very few members here, for Starmer or Nandy at a push. The others Im not too sure about, not really a fan of any especialy Long Baily. Jess Philips might be good for a laugh but not a sensible leader I dont think. She would do worse than Corbyn with regards to leadership ability.

I know Im seen here as a far left loony but my first choice was Andy Burnham. I only went against him and for Corbyn because Corbyn was the only leadership contender that voted against the Tories austerity bill while the others abstained on the advice on the then caretaker leader Harman. And then I only stuck with Corbyn because he was leader.

I disagreed with a lot of the stuff he did and said but he was still the leader.

So no I wouldnt go straight for a far left candidate. There were a lot of centre left Labour supporters that also picked Corbyn.

Hopefully the left dont put someone stupid forward like Dianne Abbott.

11. Hades

Capodecina

Please be Diane Abbot. The number of memes I'd get on whatsapp would be hilarious. It would be years of entertainment :)

12. Rroff

Man of Honour

Starmer seems capable and unlike Corbyn capable of being pragmatic but supposedly a political shark (probably why he dissappeared into the background last few weeks as he likely saw the writing on the wall) whose politics at heart are probably a bit different to that he has been standing behind though in what respect I don't know.

13. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Isnt his hair a bit too grey though? Surely thats a sign of something wrong and then there are all the legal cases he would have sat on. I longingly wait for the smearing of the next Labour leader.

14. LOAM

Capodecina

The problem with Starmer is that he's met Jeremy Corbyn and Jerry Corbyn has met Jerry Adams, ergo Starmer has met Adams which makes him a terrorist. Labour need a leader that's never met anyone ever.

15. Zefan

Don

This, but for Jess Phillips. It would be utterly hilarious. I wouldn't even report her to the electoral commission for treating the electorate.

16. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

PMQs would be brilliant: a never-ending car crash that you can’t look away from.

17. dowie

Caporegime

At least Keir Starmer will likely hold his own at the dispatch box.

Angela Rayner just comes across as utterly dense, almost as bad as Abbott (and I'm not basing that on her accent or apparent inability to enunciate words properly). Jess Philips doesn't come across to well either.

Sounds like you're still in denial over Corbyn's IRA links. Turns out that the weak attempts at gaslighting didn't work* in the end and older voters who remembered IRA violence were not too happy about Corbyn's past association with them.

*but but but here is someone else in a photo with the Deputy First Minister, that's totally the same as Corbyn's past relationship.

18. Gray2233

Wise Guy

:D

19. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

Starmer would be my first choice but I think they want a woman — can’t have the Tories beating them 2-0 on that front.

20. LOAM

Capodecina

The conservative British government flew Adams and McGuiness to London in the early 70's to broker a peace deal, lots of people met them prior to the end of it, Corbyn was one of many trying to stop people being killed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-said-to-have-had-talks-with-the-1505037.html

If you watch the BBC documentary "The Troubles" it's clear there were many channels open during those times.