1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who will be the next Labour leader?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by BowdonUK, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Long Bailey gives serial loser Corbyn's leadership a 10/10.

I'm lost for words.

2. Uther

Capodecina

Hopefully she'll be lost for votes...

3. Sankari

Capodecina

I've always wondered why anyone in the working class would vote Tory. You'd think they'd resent a bunch of upper middle class, London based, Eton educated, out of touch, neo liberal millionaires telling them how to live, but apparently not. :confused:

Yikes, that makes want to vomit.

4. FoxEye

Capodecina

More chance of the tooth fairy being real, to be honest :p

Also nobody gives a crap about city centres any more.

Who even goes there, now? Less and less people every year.

5. Uther

Capodecina

He said the north though, I doubt the SW is on his radar unless he wants a holiday home...

6. BowdonUK

Mobster

The problem is the class system. What usually happens is as people grow up, say from a working class family, they might move up to middle class level. What I've observed is the middle classes want to be upper class, and seem to have a patronising attitude to the lower/working class people.

Sadly the Labour party as fallen in to this mind set were people have moved up classes and now appear to talk down to the people they were supposed to be representing. They seem to be more focused on impressing the media than actually representing the people. RLB is a good example. That Richard Burgon guy is a perfect example, he cannot answer a straight forward question.

Labour really need a John Prescott type of person leading them. Someone who is straight talking and down to earth. There is a couple in the party that are like that. I'm not a total fan of this guy, but the current chairman of the Labour party Ian Lavery comes to mind.

7. efish

Wise Guy

Traditionally known as 'prolier than thou' politics. Its an old school response and the Conservatives are well versed in responding.

In the past it has simply ended up with both sides emphasizing either the candidates past employment and roots in working class culture or conversely for middle class candidates in a predominantly working class constituency to express close roots within the local community and to attempt to demonstrate a history of political support for working class interest.

8. FoxEye

Capodecina

Come on, you can do better than that. I'll give you 2 triggers/10.

9. BowdonUK

Mobster

So far at 46% of the MP's declared only Keir Starmer is already past the 24 nominations.

Keir Starmer 48
    Rebecca Long Bailey 23
    Lisa Nandy 18
    Jess Phillips 18
    Emily Thornberry 3
    Clive Lewis 1

So far all those who supported Corbyn in 2016 are all backing RLB.

10. robfosters

Caporegime

In the grand scheme of things, how important is it that Unison have backed Starmer?

11. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Huge. Without it RLB would already be romping to victory.

12. Hagar

Sgarrista

This time Labour need someone with a personality who can speak to the general public without lecturing them and discover exactly what makes them tick.

RLB, Jess Philips and Lisa Nandy join Kier with enough parliamentary support.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  13. ebilcake

Hitman

So long as it's not Long-Bailey, Phillips, Thornberry or Lewis..... Doesn't leave many options.

Ideally I like to see Nandy in but she doesn't have much support.

14. BowdonUK

Mobster

At 67% of the declared MP's and MEP's.

Starmer 67
    Bailey 29
    Nandy 26
    Phillips 24
    Thornberry 12
    Lewis 3

My personal choice would be Nandy. But I'd put Starmer as a close second. The others, in my opinion, don't show the necessary leadership that is needed both in and outside the party.

15. Tony Edwards

Mobster

From the looks of that list its fairly obvious that the unions and the members are going to vote for Lewis as leader. :p

16. Hagar

Sgarrista

The Labour MP on the Daily Politics yesterday said that he may support Clive Lewis as he would like to see him on the ballot but he would vote Long-Bailey or other.

Gods sake, thats how Corbyn was elected!

17. Sankari

Capodecina

Looks like Starmer has it in the bag. That's a shame, because he's nowhere near centrist enough for my liking. But at least he's not a hardcore Momentum cultist.

18. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Hard to tell I think. MPs are one thing, but the membership may be another.

Starmer comes across as thoughtful, reasonable, and rational. I think he's just the leader Labour need.

19. Rroff

Man of Honour

He certainly comes off as more pragmatic than any of the other options though you never know how someone and their leadership might turn out when they are actually in the position and having to deal with the realities of it.

20. GAC

Mobster

people need to remember just because unison and the mp's back starmer doesnt mean the party membership will, if the momentum mob get going behind a single person it could end up with RLB.