1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who will be the next Labour leader?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by BowdonUK, Dec 14, 2019.

1. StriderX

Capodecina

Well if it does occur that she does win, then I pretty much give up with the party entirely. Which is why I'm voting for Starmer.

2. Monkeynut

Soldato

Momentum's Facebook page has a post that sys they are backing RLB.

3. Rroff

Man of Honour

Momentum won't give up on their grip on power and will likely be the end of the Labour party as is - Starmer actually seems committed to what needs to be done to get Labour where it needs to be and recognises that a version of the 2017 manifesto that a broad spectrum of people can believe in is what is needed rather than the direction the 2019 one went hah.

4. Nasher

Capodecina

Momentum seems to be trying to turn labour in to some kind of weird, virtue signalling communist party.

Bailey will lose worse than Corbyn ever did.

5. dim_pwn

Gangster

I think this is the same for a lot of people.... Polls are looking good, lets hope it stays that way.

Far left doesn't work. Far right doesn't work. A central approach which balances the conflicting tension from both left and right whilst utilising the benefits from both.... that's a healthy country.

Running a country is like a race where everyone has to finish.... no point ignoring the people at the back and no point punishing the people at the front. Find balance.

6. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

Time for New Old Labour?

7. squerble

Mobster

8. Freddie1980

Soldato

I was surprised she managed to find enough MP's to back her, out of all them she is most snobbish, ignorant and a perfect representation of everything that's wrong with Labour right now.

9. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Sorry are you talking about Labour or the Tories?

10. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

I think he’s talking about Lady Nugee’s infamous Twitter sneer at the English working class house with an English flag and a white van outside.

11. Tony Edwards

Mobster

You mean like her brother the white van driver?

Ill be honest I dont look too favourably at houses that have flags hanging out of or covering the windows. It hardly sets a good image does it. Its a bit chavy no?

12. ahar

Hitman

Just signed up to be a Labour registered supporter - not particularly a Labourite (although I've voted across the political spectrum in the past) but there is no way I want another election where the choice between the two leaders is either a giant douche or a turd sandwich (sneaky South Park reference there...).

Favourites for my vote are Kier Starmer & Lisa Nandy at the moment, though I have a soft spot for Jess Philips for her comment about not stabbing Corbyn in the back, she'd stab him in the front!

Deputy leader vote for me is Ian Murray so far, but lets see how it goes.

13. Tony Edwards

Mobster

I think Ill go for Starmer as number one aswell. Not sure of my second or third choice just yet.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  14. efish

Wise Guy

I could not vote for a Labour government with Jess Philips or Ian Murray in charge. Both are political thugs, who would extend the feud between the left and right of the party.

Exchanging a bunch of left wing dogmatists for a couple of ruthless right wing dogmatists would be a disaster for the party I feel.

Go for anyone other than that thuggish twosome, last thing the party needs.

15. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Ive got to say Ive never particularly liked Murry either. Im also turning off Lisa Nandy fast and Im way off Philips now. Id still vote labour if they were leader though. Barring any radically crazy policies like upping the price of broadband.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  16. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Some People really have no shame.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...p-keith-vaz-launches-surprise-labour-comeback

17. efish

Wise Guy

Joanna Cherry is my M.P. Choice of S.N.P or Conservative. Labour field the dregs as candidates here (last one had to resign on the second day of the campaign/ twitter hate speech thing).

Always voted Labour until recently but need to see some significant change to be able to vote for the party again.

Pragmatic centrist who can work with both left and the right of the party, is what I want to see. Starmer I think is the safest pair of hands here.

Murray is just down the road, he is not very bright, stuck in a style of politics that was in large part responsible for Labour's death in Scotland. Left of the party has been a disaster in Scotland, the right of the party however were in charge when Labour self- destructed here, Murray and Philips are both presenting a fairy- tale in regard to Scottish politics.

Murray in a powerful role would be particularly grim for Scottish Labour (it is in a dire position already) as he embraces one of the parties major issue here, internal feuding and mistakes political thuggery for a solution rather than a symptom of the failure of the party here.

Murray and Philips are political dinosaurs of the right, can't accept that the party needs to alter other than to end up in a bloody purge of the left. Momentum have been a disaster but the hardcore of the right has significant issues and has refused to look at its own failings and reform as it is much simpler just to blame someone else for any error and attempt to beat them over the head.

18. FoxEye

Capodecina

Didn't think much of Lisa Nandy interviewed by Neil. Big on soundbites (again), seems to have little in the way of answers to policy questions, apart from vague ambitions.

And saying, "I/we don't have all the answers" is really a massive cop out. You're trying to get elected and subsequently become the next PM, and you're basically saying you don't really know which direction you want to go in?

Yeah, next.

19. GAC

Mobster

20. Rroff

Man of Honour

Nail on head in that respect. Labour certainly needs to take a long hard look at what the country actually needs versus all out pursuit of ideology.