1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's Buying Gold

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by fester, Feb 4, 2009.

1. fester

Gangster

As the title say's who's buying gold to protect them self's for the economic melt down in the Uk or Us or any where else I personally have bought a few oz's of the shiny stuff in the form of gold sovereigns and 1/2 sovereigns .Bought it just before and after Christmas and they have increased in value against the pound by over 20%.

2. Morba

Caporegime

I sold all mine recently, had made over 10% on it, would have been more if i waited another month, but thats life!
    Didn't have much, but enough to make a difference when you have no job hehe

was using bullionvault to buy and sell.

3. teaboy5

Soldato

Protect you from what? You planning on paying for your shopping with it?

While i agree it good to buy it, as it will always sell no matter what. But i dont think it will protect you from much.

4. fester

Gangster

Currency devaluation and and inflation of any degree of severity in the next few years .As for shopping only if the is an Icelandic/Argentinean style run on the pound ;) but the main purpose is to save money for a mortgage deposit when the financial tsunami ends.

5. starfighter

Mobster

It protects from the falling value of the pound. but if it ever goes under no one is going to swap food for gold.

Invest in chicken nuggets and fish fingers. :D

6. Mr_T

Hitman

I've been thinking about it recently... luckily I work very close to the Perth Mint which would allow me to physically have any gold I purchased, not that that's really important unless you're very paranoid, or have lost all faith in any institution! ;-)

Although like starfighter said if the SHTF and a major currency goes under no amount of gold would make me give up my swiss army knife! lol

7. fester

Gangster

Resurrection

Sorry double post please delete

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  8. fester

Gangster

Resurrected after two year's

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to see if the is any change of opinion on the subject after two year's and a 50% increase in the US$ price. :)

9. GreatAuk

Wise Guy

Well, I wouldn't be buying it now as it seems to be at rather a high point, and it doesn't seem unreasonable to suspect that it's a bubble that will burst in a few years or so. But I am mainly basing this on the BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13156756
    (I am no economist!)

I previously had no idea that the price of gold varied so much!

10. Biohazard

PermaBanned

cashforgold and DM I think.

11. ntg

Wise Guy

The answer is in your post. 50% increase in the US$ price.

Now, is that because the US$ is falling or because gold is going up?

12. rypt

Capodecina

I fail to see how buying a useless metal will protect you

13. fester

Gangster

How is it useless, the the modern world of electronics and computers would not exist or be what it is today is with out gold and silver.

Give that the best high street savings accounts interest is below the the "official" rate of inflation and no-ware near the true rate.Gold seams to be the safest form savings as it has keep up with the true rate of inflation ie food and fuel costs.

Quote from the bbc article from above.

Throughout history emperors, kings and queens, governments, central banks and investors have trusted gold to maintain its value.
    This is simply because gold is a physical asset with a finite supply, unlike cash, equities and bonds, which can be printed or issued at will.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  14. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Just remember historically when states suffer a major financial crisis they forcibly repossess peoples gold.

15. scorza

Caporegime

Yes but:

- High street savings account interest rates are normally guaranteed. Buying gold has no guarantees.
    - You have to pay to store gold
    - Land has a finite supply, yet people have lost their life savings in those recent land scams. Finite supply does not mean good value necessarily.

Don't get me wrong, clearly investing in gold and other commodities has worked out very well for certain individuals. This is the problem, it has worked out so well that it has attracted price speculation and therefore gold has ceased to be the safe investment it used to be and is a volatile commodity like coffee, oil and sugar.

16. Freakbro

Capodecina

Didn't Silver drop 30% in 1 day last week?

Volatility in the speculation market knows no boundries.

17. Morba

Caporegime

I'm impressed with the rises but not happy putting more money in gold yet really.

18. fester

Gangster

'High street savings account interest rates are normally guaranteed. Buying gold has no guarantees'

The only thing the savings account guarantees is a a loss of spending power over time due to the effective negative interest rate.
    Paper fiat currency (the £ pound) is also a volatile commodity subject speculation do you remember Black Wednesday .

19. fester

Gangster

No decreased about 30% in a week but it increased over 130% over the year.This was after 4 rises in margin requirements in the same short time frame to force sell off's by leveraged speculators .:D

20. rypt

Capodecina

the amount of gold used in corrosion prevention in electronics is fairly small, a fraction of that wasted on jewellery