• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Whos feels like they've had thier 8800gtx for like an eternity................

Soldato
Has the OP tried overclocking the core/shaders/mem yet to make it scream along, and revive interest, or perhaps water cooling.

I can't imagine why you would want more than a gtx at the moment.

Matthew

Caporegime
helmutcheese said:
You obv aint tried DIRT or Lost Planet yet then. :)

lost planet seems to run well (performance wise, because at the moment my gtx is broken i think, keeps freezing :( ), running at 1680x1050 with 8xaa and 16xaf at like 45fps average, seems pretty good if you ask me.

(medium shadows but pfft, i cant tell the difference at it like halfs the framerate :eek: )

Soldato
I'm still running an X1800 XT, been the best card I've ever had, runs allt he games I want to play fine, although I do fancy an 8800 GTS 640 meg, but got to save money for that as I've just bought a new car.

Permabanned
eracer2006 said:
i didnt get higher than 612/2001 on my gtx

ultras get 690/2440 ?? but is that on air ?

Yes on air stock, my ultra is eVGA's 655/1250 model, I OC to 700/2400, it would do more if I remove stock goo and redo core with AS5 as the stock goo is never applied well and the thick cloth ram pads are crap so ram is probably hotter than it could be but there is a 1mm or more gap if you remove pads, TIM will not stay there long as it gets boiled.

Man of Honour
LoadsaMoney said:
the cards can do absolutely zip to poorly coded games, they will always run crap on whatever card, even cards in 10 years time will struggle to run Vegas at a crappy 40fps at a push . :p

I don't but this myself.

Even the most poorly coded games, which run shockingly bad on the fastest hardware of the time benefit from faster hardware. It's not like you get identical FPS from a 8800gts-320 and a 8800ultra, the ultra is faster. The more power you throw at a game, the faster it runs.

Go back a few years and people were whining about the likes of Halo and Deus Ex 2 because they were chugging away on 9700/9800s. But run them on a gf8 today and you are laughing.

People like to come out and say "ignore the benches for xyz, that's just a poorly coded game". But as far as I'm concerned, if a benchmark shows card A is faster than card B then it is still worth paying attention to even if the framerates are very low. At the end of the day, would you rather than 13fps or 18fps? Getting 8800ultra SLI is definitely worthwhile for some of these more demanding titles.

Associate
8igdave said:
grr rich people. "I cant believe ive had the most powerful card for so long ooo no i gota spend more money so i can brag some more".

lol.

Total jealousy imo. If you've got the money, why not ?

Soldato
If you can afford the newest and fastest tech then good on ya! Iv decided I cant afford to go for the fastest but I can go for damn close :) The only time I went the whole hog and spent like £370 on a card was on the x1800xt 512's release and that was fantastic :D
I do love my 8800GTS 320MB tho as it does me perfectly fine on my 1280x1024 res! Was thinking bout getting a new monitor but I do love my IIyama Pro Lite which is now over 3 years old! :eek:
The 8800GTS will definately be staying with me for the rest of this year I believe

Man of Honour
Wow, I've had my card for 3 years now (6800GT), still does the business for now.

But if so many people are bored by their 8800's, I'll be more than happy recipient :p

As people have said SLi looks like the only option for you atm, although there aren't many games that utilize it fully.

Soldato
For me to upgrade to a better graphics card now (or to justify it) would take games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or the upcoming crysis, that will benefit from a fast card.

I was looking at BF2142 last night on maximum settings @1280 and I have to say, the graphics looking flippin awful. Looks at the trees, even with HDR turned on, they are still awful looking :(

I actually look at oblivion and wonder why it isn't better looking for such a modern game. You have amazing draw distances but then you an clearly see it's blurry and they have removed trees etc.. such a shame.

I am really hoping DX10 enables designers of games to add more actual content into the scenes and increase the quality. I also thought Lost planet looked flippin' awful as well, but thats due to the nature of the enemies they designed, it looks so childish and tacky. Could have been a game from 3 years ago with the exception of the snow.

I know if I bought a 8800 gtx or better with the "current games", I would be disappointed.

Matthew
p.s. I also hate the way textures are delayed in loading in games, and will suddenly appear in the scene distracting your game experience and ruining the immersion, but that's another topic...

Back
Top Bottom