• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Whos feels like they've had thier 8800gtx for like an eternity................

I have, I honestly don't think I've ever owned a graphics card as long as this before, even though it seems to handle most games allright I'm still starting to get bored of it, I really want to sink my teeth into to something new, the graphics card market seems to have seriously stagnated atm, whens the next big gpu gonna be on the block ?

Permabanned
Nvidia have no competition this time around, thats good you get 1 year or more out of a GPU (by time new flagship arrives), very rare these days.

If your card copes I dont see a problem.

helmutcheese said:
Nvidia have no competition this time around, thats good you get 1 year or more out of a GPU (by time new flagship arrives), very rare these days.

If your card copes I dont see a problem.

I suppose so but the problem is I don't upgrade my card to play games, I buy games to upgrade my card lol, I have loads of games on my system but I hardly play any off them, they are mainly used for benches, for me my main enjoyment comes from upgrading and playing with the latest technology and when it stagnates like this it's gets sooooooo boring.

Soldato
Move to 680i, plonk a Q6600 or QX processor in there, and add another 8800GTX? :D

Or, dare I say it, try a 2900XT? It's a step back yes, but would give you something new to do.

Permabanned
I upgrade to game, there is no need to buy a new card if your current one can game at good frames and it is latest tech, like say a 7900GTX before DX10 games hit (ok only few ports so far).

Man of Honour
Well if the excitement for you is playing about with cards i'd be more than happy to swap my GTS for your GTX so youve got something new to fiddle with ;)

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Well if the excitement for you is playing about with cards i'd be more than happy to swap my GTS for your GTX so youve got something new to fiddle with ;)

I've got a Ti4200 here he could swap... :D

Associate
i've been tempted by another gtx, I'm totally bored of mine, but to be fair, there's nothing out there bar a handful of games that can show it off

damian666 said:
buy a quad core? lol! would pass the time i suppose if anything else and quench your upgrade needs a little.

I'm waiting on the E6850, the thing is though I've already owned an X6800 before running @ 3.4 and even compared to my E6300 @ 2.6 in games there really was'nt much of a performance increase tbh which is why I decided to keep my E6300 instead,

I could be temped with SLI though, especially considering the price you can get gtx's now, I suppose it's the only thing left to do atm to net a big performance leap, I bet the way the market is atm there must be a few extra people upgrading to SLI, I am running @ 1920x1200 so I think it could be a justifiable upgrade, (well that's my excuse anyway).

Olly said:
i've been tempted by another gtx, I'm totally bored of mine, but to be fair, there's nothing out there bar a handful of games that can show it off

hows this SLI malarky work then, would I have buy the exact same card, ie same manufacturer ? , also does it increase the performance in all games, A mate of mine said it only works in games that have SLI profiles, is that true ?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Stop buying CPU's and stuff. As you have discovered from the fact none of the stuff you buy is any quicker other than in synthetic benchmarks, it's completely pointless.

Buy funky screens or something instead. I mean, seriously, when a 50 quid E4300 will do 3.2Ghz and there is no real perceptable performance difference with a C2D, as you admit, between 3.2 and whatever you get out of a £300 CPU, why spend the cash?

Soldato
heh, I waited ages to get mine and at 1920x1200 (or especially 1680x1050 as I rpefer to game at) it still eats everything I play.

Awesome step forwards, can't see me swapping for a while tbh.

matt100 said:
heh, I waited ages to get mine and at 1920x1200 (or especially 1680x1050 as I rpefer to game at) it still eats everything I play.

Awesome step forwards, can't see me swapping for a while tbh.

this is what I don't get and I don't mean to be rude or turn this into an FPS debate, but I hear quite allot "it still eats everything" or words to that effect, I really have to disagree, theres no way that the latested games run on the GTX @ 1920x1200 maxed at a comfortable frame rate, Dirt and Lost Planet for example are hardly playable @ that res, now I'm not saying I demand a billion fps rate or anything but the games I listed a few posts up are definitely in need of a performance boost.

Back
Top Bottom