Whos getting BOTTAS' seat next year ?

Associate
Think Russell should join mercedes and take bottas seat, you could hear his anger over the radio last couple of races I think he knows his time is up.

but in the end would williams not just be in the same role as bottas, the "blocker" or "holder upper" as I say! Maybe he might give Hamilton a run for it in the mercedes.
If bottas went to Williams he'd be no1 driver over latifi I guess.

Soldato
I think Hamilton would kick off about Russell being in the same team, he has a good chance of beating him and drawing attention away from him :p

Caporegime
I month or so ago I'd be sure it was Russell.
But bottas is doing a better job than perez. And Russell will upset things.

If I was the boss at merc.. I'd be weighing up.. Is it worse to lose Russell to RBR or upset the status quo at merc.

I'm not sure

Soldato
I still believe Bottas is unintentionally playing the perfect #2 driver for Merc, they're going for records with Hamilton and if Max is looking like he's going to swipe the drivers title this year they'd be better sticking with Bottas so Hamilton can have another shot without an internal challenge, but once they have the 8th title for Hamilton they'd want Russell in the car to get him up to speed learning from one of the best on the field. The 2022 cars are a massive unknown, would they suit Bottas better, are Merc even going to be competitive with it, is anyone else going to make a leap forwards, would a fresher driver make the difference?

There's talks of a soft landing to Alfa for Bottas as they want someone experienced to partner up with another Ferrari academy driver

Associate
George, with a contract that says if required he has to move over... (I'm a big fan of George's but that's a reasonable expectation)

But if LuLu gets #8 this year then I wouldnt expect Merc will expect any moving over unless to MERC's advantage

Associate
Would be good to see a Russell & Lewis pairing - both strong and will most likely clash at some point in the season. I feel Merc will stick it out with Bottas for another season.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whilst Bottas is doing well, and has done frankly all through his Merc career I think he's gone, so my predictions:

Russell into Mercedes (I don't think there'll be any stupid contract clauses, much as the media likes to post random stuff Hamilton has never had or seemingly wanted that in the past, why now?)
If Raikkonen retires Bottas to replace him
Merc young driver into Williams to replace Russell
Other Alfa Romeo seat going to either Giovinazzi (unlikely?), Schumacher or one of the other Ferrari young drivers (most likely...)

Associate
Whilst Bottas is doing well, and has done frankly all through his Merc career I think he's gone, so my predictions:

Russell into Mercedes (I don't think there'll be any stupid contract clauses, much as the media likes to post random stuff Hamilton has never had or seemingly wanted that in the past, why now?)
Other Alfa Romeo seat going to either Giovinazzi (unlikely?), Schumacher or one of the other Ferrari young drivers (most likely...)

Agree (but remember we never see the contracts so all we have is Lewis word he's never had or wanted but I agree its unlikely)
Nyck De Vries is mentioned as a Williams replacement but personally didnt rate him in F2 (best drivers win in rookie season!)

Underboss
OP

+1

Man of Honour
Bottas will be getting Bottas's seat next year,
i don't think they will risk putting the fresh and hungey Russell into that seat,
now, i'm not saying George would beat Lewis in a head to head, but i do think he'd win more races than Bottas per season and take points away from Lewis,
Merc will go for the safe and steady #2 driver... and that's Bottas

Soldato
Bottas will be getting Bottas's seat next year,
i don't think they will risk putting the fresh and hungey Russell into that seat,
now, i'm not saying George would beat Lewis in a head to head, but i do think he'd win more races than Bottas per season and take points away from Lewis,
Merc will go for the safe and steady #2 driver... and that's Bottas

Conversely Merc need to think about 2-3 years down the line, who 'takes over' when Hamilton retires, Bottas isn't that driver. Having Russell in the team for 2 years, gives both the best indication of whether he could (compared against 'the best') and also gets him settled in, and I really don't think Merc mind who wins as long as one of their drivers does, and they've made it clear they will use team orders when it makes sense.

But Merc want to win COnstructors... WDC is secondary to Merc.... and Bottas isnt delivering a #2 job this year, George would!

I'm never sure I believe that, nobody remembers who won the WCC in any given year, but they remember the driver *and the team they drove with*...

Back
Top Bottom