• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's got the oldest CPU in main pc, how does it cope?

Soldato
Does your ancient CPU still cope in what you use your pc for?

Why haven't you upgraded yet, is the thought of building a newer pc too daunting or you want to get your money's worth out of your pc?

I know some on here who like to get every ounce of performance out of there pc and make it last as long as possible, but what's your limit?

I have a 6700k so not exactly old but I think looking at Ryzen and Intel's offering I can't justify the upgrade yet with the performance increase.

Associate
I just built a new PC this week, prior to that I had the system in sig. CPU wise, it coped extremely well. For an 11 year old PC (had the X5650 for about 3.5 years), I was surprised that the performance (CPU wise) only increased by twofold (based on Cinebench R20 benchmark; 3D Mark CPU score shows increase of 70% only). My new system is based around a 3600 @ 4.2GHz (RAM 3800/FCLK 1900MHz).

In your case; I'd keep your CPU for a little while longer, unless you frequently experience 100% utilisation in your applications/games.

X2 555BE unlocked to a quad from roughly 2010/1

Why havent I upgraded - dont need to
Used for multiplayer gaming with my youngest son. Company of Heroes Command and Conquer etc. Nothing too demanding

Dont game as much as I used to on pc or PS3 or Xbox One

Soldato
I've got a 4770k here running stock speed. Coupled with 20gb ram and a 1tb ssd my PC boots quick and runs really fast in everything but the very latest games - and that's more to do with my 1050ti than my CPU. Only reason I'd upgrade is to move to a bigger chassis to fit a non-low profile graphics card.

Soldato
Still running my 2009 i7 930.

Reason i've not upgraded: Games these days don't require a lot of CPU, so mine still copes ok.

Can still play BF5 at 1080p, the GPU takes on the majority of the workload, i do see the CPU spiking upto 70-80% regularly, so not quite throttling yet.

Associate
Running an FX 8320 at 4.75ghz with a 1080.

Does everything I need to, keep getting tempted to upgrade, but whats the point when everything runs great at 60hz 1440p.

Associate
I'm running an Overclockers Bundle Core i5 2500k @ 4ghz. Combined with 32gb of DDR3 Ram, SSD drive and a GTX 980 it seems to run everything ok @ 1920 x 1080.

Not sure how much longer it will hold up though tbh............

Man of Honour
Still running my 2009 i7 930.

Reason i've not upgraded: Games these days don't require a lot of CPU, so mine still copes ok.

Can still play BF5 at 1080p, the GPU takes on the majority of the workload, i do see the CPU spiking upto 70-80% regularly, so not quite throttling yet.

Potential Winrar here. My dad was running a i7-860 until last year; to be honest from a CPU perspective it was still fine but with it starting to suffer from having a mechanical HD and only 4GB RAM, the time came to replace it.

Personally I slightly regret jumping over to a Ryzen 1600 in November 2017, RAM was expensive then (£150 for 16GB) and it wasn't really that huge a leap over my overclocked i5-3570k. Wish I'd held out a bit longer, that's my advice to any of you still packing highly clocked quads, run them into the ground and invest more in the GPU.

Will be interesting to see if anyone is still running a cpu with less than 4 cores on their main PC.

Associate
Until maybe February or so I was on my trusty i5 750 and it was doing just fine. Ran short of RAM occasionally and the GPU needed replaced with something current. Weirdly it has now started dying so think i times the replacement well, though I was hoping it could be an office pc for non-gaming needs, i think not now :(

Why did i have such an old cpu? Well, I had kids. That took all my free time away pretty much, so games took a backseat and so i wasn't buying new games so didn't need the newest stuff. Not seeing games run poorly took away the motivation to upgrade. Realising it was over 10 years old was when I finally felt like biting the bullet :)

Associate
Not really a main PC anymore but we still use a 09-10 Vaio E Laptop with an Arrandale i7 840m, still perfect for office tasks etc, bought with with a 1080p screen that is probably what's kept it useful, that plus an ssd and 8gb of RAM, it was originally an i5 but picked up a cpu on ebay for 30quid.

This week the missus dropped it and broke the hinge so I might actually replace it this year, time for a zephyrus g14 perhaps :D

Man of Honour
Not me personally but I know several people still using overclocked Q6600s (I've donated 1-2) with like a GTX680 for gaming even some still using Fermi cards.

Associate
See my signature, Q6600.
Had to upgrade to this as my amd X2 3800+ s939 could no longer browse or watch YouTube. Websites have got really resource heavy over the years.

Soldato
Just retired the 2600k recently to become the old pc.....my old old old pc is now a mining rig/heater running w10 and 3x rx580...its a E8500 wolfy cpu...w10 runs sluggish but it mines just fine

Back
Top Bottom