Who's turned their heating on?

Soldato
It was horrible this morning. So the Mrs made me reinstall 3 Rads I had removed for decorating (plastering) and low and behold the damn sun came out

Soldato
I've been hovering over the buy it button on evohome for the best part of 2 years.......I just wish the trv's were better looking.

You don't have to use the trvs if your dead against them. You can use an actuator on a rad valve placed under the floor and a room stat placed anywhere you want. The actuator connects via a relay.

Associate
Recommissioned the heating yesterday, re-wired to work independently of the hot water. Haven't actually used it though as the AGA seems to be keeping the place warm enough for the moment.

Soldato
You don't have to use the trvs if your dead against them. You can use an actuator on a rad valve placed under the floor and a room stat placed anywhere you want. The actuator connects via a relay.

Thats defo not an option. New floors and they wont be coming up easy..lol

To be honest Its only in the hallways and Landing that you'll see them and I could get away with those being on regular TRV's

Associate
Closed the windows last weekend, tend to close the door the front room in a evening, and with the help of 2 labradors, we're remaining to keep warm. Would recommend a labrador as a great cost saving on heating, they keep you very warm! :)

Soldato
Still not on, not had the fire on either for the past few days.

I'm going in investigate getting some new insulation installed. Its definitely not at the recommended depth. 27cm is it? We had the roof felted and re-tiled and the existing insulation is now covered with crud and debris. Is it worth getting rid of this old stuff, or just top up to the recommended levels with new stuff over the top of the soiled insulation?

I'll have to do a bit of investigation on the costs. I've just read about the diminishing returns you get from insulation once you get past 12cm ish.

I'm definitely looking to board out the loft, so adding new insulation may be something I do anyway to do a 'proper' job.

Last edited:
Soldato
After saying ours hadn't clocked on yet, I noticed the radiators were warm last night! It must have finally dropped below 19C in the living room. :(

I'm going in investigate getting some new insulation installed. Its definitely not at the recommended depth. 27cm is it? We had the roof felted and re-tiled and the existing insulation is now covered with crud and debris. Is it worth getting rid of this old stuff, or just top up to the recommended levels with new stuff over the top of the soiled insulation?

I'll have to do a bit of investigation on the costs. I've just read about the diminishing returns you get from insulation once you get past 12cm ish.

I'm definitely looking to board out the loft, so adding new insulation may be something I do anyway to do a 'proper' job.

I had to do this last year as we had a very patchy 10cm depth at best in our loft. I opted to do it properly and remove all the old stuff but it wasn't a fun job. I went for the full 27cm as it was on offer and it's made a massive difference!

Soldato
I am trying to resist the urge to put our heating on but the way my house is constructed once it starts to get cold inside it won't warm up till the spring.

Have modern double glazing and while not several feet of insulation in the loft, when the heating is on and the house warm and I stick my head up into the loft finding it cold, I am guessing the insulation is working.

I might look at it this weekend, get it primed, rads bled etc

Kimbie

Still not on, not had the fire on either for the past few days.

If the old stuff is really bad then its almost like its not there, so your comparing the top up vs the full depth.

Yes its 270, but its not like 250 is terrible and 270 is awesome. The more the better, but obviously you get diminishing returns as it gets thicker and thicker

Soldato
If the old stuff is really bad then its almost like its not there, so your comparing the top up vs the full depth.

Yes its 270, but its not like 250 is terrible and 270 is awesome. The more the better, but obviously you get diminishing returns as it gets thicker and thicker

I had to do this last year as we had a very patchy 10cm depth at best in our loft. I opted to do it properly and remove all the old stuff but it wasn't a fun job. I went for the full 27cm as it was on offer and it's made a massive difference!

Cheers for the info. Where did you get the insulation from Street? I'm reading a lot about people getting it "on offer". What price should I be paying?

Soldato
I've never understood the mentality that the heat isn't going on until X month. What a bizarre way to live. I guess people are odd though.

Soldato
Cheers for the info. Where did you get the insulation from Street? I'm reading a lot about people getting it "on offer". What price should I be paying?

I got it from Wickes when it was something like 3 for 2. It still probably cost me a good few hundred to get it sorted though but at least now when the heating goes off, the house still stays warm.

Back
Top Bottom