Who's turned their heating on?

Soldato
I've never understood the mentality that the heat isn't going on until X month. What a bizarre way to live. I guess people are odd though.
Why it saves money ad gives you a goal, modern central heating is a massive luxury and we all abuse it contributing to our planets natural resources are being consumed at a ridiculous rate the number of people keeping houses in the mid twenties 24hrs a day through the winter scares me!

Associate
I put it on this week just to test it all works as it should. Rather find a problem now than when I actually need it to warm the place.

Soldato
I've never understood the mentality that the heat isn't going on until X month. What a bizarre way to live. I guess people are odd though.

I feel the cold differently depending on the time of year, it's hard to explain. At this time of year my room temp could be 18c and I've got the windows and patio doors all open and be perfectly comfortable in shorts and a T shirt. Switch that to 18c in winter and I'll have the patio doors shut, all windows on night setting and the heating on set to about 19.5c, and this would be sat comfortable with jeans/trackies, t shirt and a hoodie or something.

I guess it comes from working outside, when it's mild your sweating your balls off so the flat doesn't feel cold at 18c, but in the winter when you've been chilled right through it does get you.

So yeah, that's why I put it on at certain times of year rather than just leave it on set to a certain temp, currently I'm still waking up with a bit of a sweat on and that's with no heating, windows open and a summer quilt!

In theory just leaving it set to a certain temperature and leaving it on all year makes sense, but in reality it doesn't work for me.

Don
I feel the cold differently depending on the time of year, it's hard to explain. At this time of year my room temp could be 18c and I've got the windows and patio doors all open and be perfectly comfortable in shorts and a T shirt. Switch that to 18c in winter and I'll have the patio doors shut, all windows on night setting and the heating on set to about 19.5c, and this would be sat comfortable with jeans/trackies, t shirt and a hoodie or something.

I guess it comes from working outside, when it's mild your sweating your balls off so the flat doesn't feel cold at 18c, but in the winter when you've been chilled right through it does get you.

So yeah, that's why I put it on at certain times of year rather than just leave it on set to a certain temp, currently I'm still waking up with a bit of a sweat on and that's with no heating, windows open and a summer quilt!

In theory just leaving it set to a certain temperature and leaving it on all year makes sense, but in reality it doesn't work for me.
The difference between winter and summer is your room wall temperatures, particularly external facing walls.

Soldato
I was cold last night when the wall thermometer was showing 20c.
New(ish) build, big windows downstairs including a 2 foot wide sun area type of conservatory section (sticks out of the house about 2 feet) and the fact that I hate the cold, so yes I've allowed the heating to come on in the lower part of the house only in the AM and PM. It has weather compensation so the rads don't get very hot at the moment, just takes the chill off. Also helps with drying clothes that cant be put outside due to the constant rain and temp inside dropping this time of the year.

Why it saves money ad gives you a goal, modern central heating is a massive luxury and we all abuse it contributing to our planets natural resources are being consumed at a ridiculous rate the number of people keeping houses in the mid twenties 24hrs a day through the winter scares me!
This is also down to overpopulation too however. We should have the luxury of being warm in this age. The bigger problem is overpopulation IMO.
Should we not use any of our gadgets either? Those burn resources too both during manufacture and use.
Mid 20's is of course extreme :)

Last edited:
Soldato
20c is too warm for me as a constant room temp, I have it lower than that even in the depths of winter but then I always run too hot, comes from years and years of growing up with a miserly Dad who never turned the heating on and then even more years and years of living in a cold house.

Soldato
20c is too warm for me as a constant room temp, I have it lower than that even in the depths of winter but then I always run too hot, comes from years and years of growing up with a miserly Dad who never turned the heating on and then even more years and years of living in a cold house.
20 is about right for me usually. Actually my example above was a bit odd as both temps (upper and lower) were about the same (0.5 difference) but felt cold when in the upper section for some reason. COnstant temp of 18 would be too cold for me, I'd rather just timer to take it to 20 only when I'm there. As the lower house thermometer is in the hallway (not in rooms with the big windows), the temp probably varies a lot room by room in winter.
Spent years in a flat built into a converted circa 1825 Chapel. That was cold. I can remember waking up in the morning and not being able to see over the duvet as I had a 13.5 tog and a 4.5 tog duvet also chucked on top.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I started the log burner on Saturday, it was one of them weird days you get when it was warmer outside than inside.

Soldato
was 7C outside at 7.30 this morning so tweeked the room stat up to 17c - nice and warm now.

If you haven't turned your heating on yet now would be a good time to do it for an hour or so -don't leave it till you need it and find something has stuck and it doesn't work.

Associate
I don't "switch it on" per se, it's just set to the temperatures we like.

Just checked the Nest history and it's been on a little bit over the last couple of weeks, although it didn't need to come on yesterday.

Soldato
Not yet and not had it on since May either, only used around £6 of gas since then too for hot water. I only put it on manually when I feel chilly, no automatic settings here.

I was on Ebico non-standing charge tariff but busy in the process of switching to Bristol Energy for gas.

Back
Top Bottom