WHS2011 Web Access BT Homehub 3.0

Soldato
disabled UPnP and still the same, port forwarding error.

It could just be that the router doesn't support loop back. Have you tried it from an external connection?

One option that could make life easier would be temporarily installing LogMeIn onto one of the machines on your network. It would give you a backdoor that’d allow you to modify your network configuration from an external location.

Soldato
OP
It could just be that the router doesn't support loop back. Have you tried it from an external connection?

One option that could make life easier would be temporarily installing LogMeIn onto one of the machines on your network. It would give you a backdoor that’d allow you to modify your network configuration from an external location.

I can tether with my iphone to test that, but its not completing the wizard to setup remote web access, so it wouldn't know where to connect to would it? (as in no IP address has been set)

Soldato
Okay. I just ran the wizard with all of the ports closed and uPnP off. It moaned a few times, but I was able to skip over all of the objections. I then forwarded the ports and remote access was working.

Associate
81 was a late night typo, however I stand by my statement. I'm 99% certain the problem is the home hub being piece of poo :p /they change the number and wax the case but the innards haven't really improved.

I am however a strong advocate of broadcom based routers with tomato loaded on them. No such routing errors and far better controls, but more things to potentially break..

Soldato
if i swap out my router will i have issues when i get bt infinity at the end of the year?

You'd need to be careful that whatever you buy is capable of connecting via an Ethernet port. You may be better off buying something cheap and cheerful for adsl now, and getting something decent when you get fttc.

Associate
The simplest thing you could do right now would be to borrow a router off friends/family to decide if the hub is or isn't the problem. Don't spend money on something unless you're sure it's the solution :)

If you do then you either need to pick up some cheap adsl router which you can demote to bridge/extender/switch later or buy a good ethernet router and modem (2nd hand dg834gts on the bay are excellent cheap modems) and ditch the modem later.

The former is probably the better option, not least because the latter would set you back £100 at least.

Soldato
OP
do I need to look for anything in particular in a router?

would an access point do the same thing? if the HH3.0 has the ports forwarded, would the access points UPnP then be what the WHS looked for?
sorry, if this is backwards thinking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried setting up VPN access on WHS 2011? Much better IMO than the web based remote access to files and folders and media that comes out of the box.

Its the same procedure as setting up a VPN in Windows 2008 R2. here is a step by step.

http://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2010/10/how-to-install-vpn-on-windows-server-2008-r2/

What this gives you over WHS remote access is that it makes your PC part of the same network as your WHS box (as if you were at your home network). Be careful of backup's though as the launchpad will think you are connected locally and might want to back up your machine over the internet! :D

Soldato
OP
thanks for that. im pretty clueless, I got a cheap license of the net in the hope I could set up a file and media server so I don't have to carry usb drives with me to work. but its all a lot more complicated than I was hoping.

Soldato
OP
ok, so now got it all setup and working (thanks to everyone that helped :)) but now I have a few questions.
Media/File Server :
Celeron E3400
Gigabyte G41MT-S2PT
4GB RAM
1x 500GB Samsung F3
2x 1TB Western Digital Black
WHS2011

music via the webstreaming thing is excellent, but video, although the buffering is very quick (pretty much instant) the quality is poor. I have set it to best in dashboard, so is it down to the net speed (either server or client side) or the spec of the server (read in one of the help files that the cpu on server does a lot of the work for media sharing).
thanks in advance.

Soldato
really? its got the arctic freezer 7 cooler on it too, so no problems with heat. how easy are they to do, just whack the FSB up?

Yep, make sure you aren't overclocking the memory too much by keeping the ratio within specification. The celeron has an fsb of 200mhz and so your motherboard should easily support a bump up of the fsb.

Shouldn't even require much voltage to hit 3.5ghz. Looking at your main system I'm sure you know exactly what to do anyway.

Of course it may not be this which is inhibiting the quality of the transcode.

Last edited:
Associate
I also got terrible quality from the WHS2011 DLNA service.

I had much better results using 3rd party software but eventually gave up and went back to just sharing media folders.

Back
Top Bottom