• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why are a lot of GPU's out of stock?

Associate
Global container shortages as well a good example from one of my customers is a container off cardboard beer mats before they might cost say 1p now due to the lack of container space each one has a surcharge in september that was about 1p each

we can never look at ourselves in isolation

europe is starting to see a shortage of lorry and trailer parts some covid some supply from china ect ( parts for assembly ) forged and cast items have been an ongoing issue all year

brake chambers have been in short supply think a lot are made in mexico and hungary or romania if memory serves

I know people with 10-15 trailers of the road waiting for ecu brains to control the brakes , In december wabco ran out of DAF ecu's europe wide and only got stock again this week

Associate
Impressed with the continued handling/updates of the situation Gibbo and Staff. Trialing another way to get the GPUs to gamers is nice to read!

I'm not buying a GPU for a long while it looks like, but i'm hoping those who have had theirs die or need one for new games as theirs is too old, can get one.

Associate
Its not only gpus, towards the end of my build I had to buy a ridiculously overpriced 1000w psu because there were none to be found, overpriced ram and I've been waiting for my monitor for three months. There are stock shortages on everything thanks to "covid".

Associate
when I did mine there where some case shortages
Yeah I didn't have much to choose from but I wasn't set on any case in particular so it was fine. I seriously feel for the builders right now since it was getting harder and harder as mine went along. Learned my lesson to buy everything at once next time.

Associate
Linus has just posted a vid about this and it's a pretty good summary of the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A4yk-P5ukY

Mining isn't the biggest factor (but part of it), but everyone being bored wants to by a gaming PC because they can't spend their money going out, demand has shot up to peak levels.

he is right but wish I could block content on youtube from my feed god I just want to slap him

Soldato
Retailers aren't scalping...

If there is a shortage of a part guess what happens to the price the retailers pay?

If you say it goes up, you win a pumpkin.;)

Comparing to consoles is pointless, as IIRC the console manufacturers control the price in a way that the likes of Nvidia can't, as Sony and MS have far more control over the production and distribution right down to retail level whilst Nvidia mainly just sells the main chip and a board design to manufacturers who then set the prices they'll sell them to distributors who then set the price they'll sell them to retailers etc, and console manufacturers will happily make a lost on every console sold if it means they get you to buy the games and accessories (where the money is for them). MS/Sony are much closer to consumer printer companies in the business model than Nvidia/ATI who only make the money on the hardware.
Just because it's the way it's always been with supply and demand, it doesn't make it right.

Certain items should be restricted within a certain percentage of the rrp, end of story.

Profiteering leads to cartel agreements such as what we had with ram a few years ago. I can see the same happening with GPU.

I never thought I'd say this but thank the lord for Nvidia with its FE RRP GPUs.

Associate
Definitely mining - didn't this all happen last time the price of Bitcoin went high? I remember having to wait a long time to get a Vega 64 at a reasonable price as they were very expensive on release due to mining

Associate
The heads up stopped when I requested people don't post elsewhere, then blatantly forum members were posting about our stock in discord and other areas, so sorry that one got spoiled by everyone.

We are investigating a voucher code system which we hope to trial soon and will be forums only, but again if forum members want to leak it out then it will stop, I will probably begin with posting it only in a part of forum where those with large post counts to see as a trial, if it works then post it in general forum and keep doing it until it gets out of hand.

A voucher code system sounds like a good idea, hopefully no one will mess it up for everyone. Thanks for looking into ways to help us out. Sorry didn't mean to sound off, it's clear you are all doing your best under a lot of pressure, I imagine from all angles not just frustrated customers.

Fingers and everything crossed the situation improves.
I managed to get in the queue for a 3090 suprim in January so will sit tight (like many others my work is insanely intense and doesn't give time to keep an eye out for stock drops, so the idea of a voucher system sounds good)

Soldato
Because of ******** like this, wish governments would step in and make crypto illegal.

Governments can produce unlimited currency at the press of a button, devaluing your labour and your earnings without you being able to do a damn thing about it. The banks are effectively permitted to do the same thing by loaning out the same deposit many times to different borrowers. Nobody can print cryptocurrency on a whim, out of greed or in pursuit of short-term policy, yet you want them to make it illegal just so you can obtain a graphics card?

Associate
Governments can produce unlimited currency at the press of a button, devaluing your labour and your earnings without you being able to do a damn thing about it. The banks are effectively permitted to do the same thing by loaning out the same deposit many times to different borrowers. Nobody can print cryptocurrency on a whim, out of greed or in pursuit of short-term policy, yet you want them to make it illegal just so you can obtain a graphics card?

I must admit I could weep with the stupidity of it, wasting millions of megawatts to produce numbers that are worth money just because they are hard to compute. If my parents generation had invested their effort in this sort of foolery we would all be much poorer.

Your right too, idiots in government printing trillions just devalues things and s the root of the problem. As bad as crypto is people would move to precious metals or tulip bulbs to store their value if crypto was cracked down on.

What I don't really understand is why the response has not been to raise prices? Are crypto people really outbidding everyone else for GPU's? If a company can sell a product at a higher price I would expect them to do so, yet there seems a reluctance to be perceived price gouging that gives profits to crypto and price gougers.

Back
Top Bottom