1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are phones so expensive?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by Hodders, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Hodders

Mobster

Recent phones life the OnePlus 7 Pro are lovely, but...

£699 is a huge amount of money.

For the same cost I can buy a halfway decent Asus gaming laptop, a 50" 4k Samsung TV.

Why do they cost so much? Is it the r&d, the short model lifespan, the bill of materials?

2. OspreyO

Mobster

People will pay it. No other reason.

3. Ixon

Wise Guy

Apple is one of the main reasons we seen smartphone prices rise dramatically in the past couple of years when the iPhone X launched with the £999 price tag, others followed suite with the pricing of flagships because the none teccy general public would probably think a £600 flagship Samsung was vastly inferior to a £999 iPhone.

If Apple suddenly decided that this years iPhone 11 was priced at let say £700, everybody else would also sell their flagship's under £700.

4. Royal Fleet

Hitman

I am not sure there is a simple pithy answer to that question.

It is a combination of
    - People will pay it (early adopters)
    - People will pay it (show off value)
    - Huge R&D costs
    - You need cutting edge components to get that much power from something that size.

Phone companies do a great job of persuading the population that they need the cutting edge phone when in reality very few people do. I bought my son a new Samsung S8 recently. It is a fantastically capable phone for a third of the cost of my latest model variant.

5. Minstadave

Capodecina

Theres plenty of bargains out there if you dont mind staying away from Apple.

Some cracking S10e/S10/S10+ deals from Three this week. Lots of impressive Xiaomi phones floating around with high end Snapdragon chipsets under £300.

I picked up a Samsung A70 when they were doing the trade in and cashback deal and that cost me £200 for a phone with a massive battery and huge OLED display.

I suspect we've largely reached "peak phone" so trying to find anything innovative is expensive.

6. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

I would say it's not all that fair to compare top end to 'half way decent'. You can get a 'half way decent' phone for £200. Can you get a gaming laptop for that? How much is a top end gaming laptop or top end 4K Samsung TV?

I would suggest it this. Most items, of any kind, as you get to the top end the price raises significantly. R&D costs are rolled in to this too as it's the R&D that usually get you to that top end.

7. billysielu

Capodecina

Prices will come down. People were willing to pay it when each upgrade was meaningful. Now upgrades are small people look more at the price. Same as CPUs.

8. Hades

Capodecina

My last two phones have cost around £200 and do nearly everything these expensive phones do. To me it is throwing money down the toilet buying a top end phone. It used to be worth it back when there were massive leaps in technology. But for the last few years what do they offer?

9. hyperseven

Soldato

Arent there all sortas of licencing/royalty fees involved?

10. Rroff

Man of Honour

This is the problem I have - my original Xperia X1 (the old one) was a big leap in technology and worth it at the time, same with my Note 1 but since then the premium seems to be mostly about style over substance and the top models have become expensive accessories rather than a technical benchmark.

11. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

It's a bit like cars... and PC's... and TV's.... and pretty much anything. A £200 phone will do most of what a £900 will do, but if you want those extra bits (brighter screen, wireless charging, waterproof, more processing power, smaller bezels, better build quality/materials etc) then you pay for it. If you don't need/want them, then great, don't spend more!

12. hardkore

Mobster

In such a crowded marketplace companies have to advertise the hell out of their devices. Even with the dominance samsung, huawei and apple have, i bet the marketing budgets are in the millions for each phone release.

That will certainly be a factor.

13. edscdk

Soldato

Obviously 699 is nit a huge sum or these devices would not sell in thiir millions.. Get a £15 phone if you cannot afford 699

14. IvanDobskey

Soldato

It's like with anything, you can get cheap ones and expensive ones. Just pick one in the price bracket you are happy with :)

15. tom_e

Man of Honour

It is and they will because it's not £699 it's £30-40 a month which suddenly becomes ok.
    Most people with top end phones don't buy them outright, if that was the only option then they'd sell no where near the volume they do currently.

16. booyaka

Capodecina

If you think £699 is expensive - take a look at Apple - £1449 for the top end phone - more than double the OP7 plus

17. mulpsmebeauty

Mobster

It's the way of the world. Mr X can't afford a 20 grand car until that nice man at the dealership tells him the payments are only £275 per month and suddenly Mr X finds himself locked in for 36 months. It's easy to disguise an inflated price by turning it into a monthly payment.

18. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

It depends. All tech companies try to get as much IP as possible to minimise what royalties they pay. There’s a whole bunch of “horse-trading” involved between companies to reach agreements.

Qualcomm is currently in the brown and smelly due to most of their IP being related to CDMA which is almost obsolete now and various phone manufacturers using other chipset suppliers.

19. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

For Apple to make their usual 35% profit at £700, iPhone 11 would be iPhone 7SE.

20. Shocky-FM

Mobster

So long as people are willing to pay the price, it will continue to increase.

My upper limit for a phone is £600, I'm not going to spend anymore.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019