1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are the UK forces going into Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Samtheman1k, 11 Jul 2006.

1. @if ®afiq

Soldato

Maybe you should read up on their "peacekeeping" activities over Serbia/Croatia etc. where they waged an illegal war outside of any UN Security Council mandates.

2. Stolly

Mobster

No NATO is a warfighting force. Always have been. Its only since the end of the cold war that any notion of nation building crept in.

3. Stolly

Mobster

We took on primary responsibility for Helmand (note, NOT Afghanistan) The number of troops estimated by the UK proved to be insufficient. Where else would the extra troops come from ?

4. Stolly

Mobster

Not on topic on this thread, so please start another where we can talk about the irony of a Muslim decrying action taken in a large part to stop the ethnic Serbs murdering thousands of your Kosovar "brothers" and "sisters"

For now suffice it to say resolutions 1160 and 1199 are more than enough to debunk any incorrect notion about that action being out the scope of any UN resolution. Not to mention These 100 other ones over 8 years authorising military forces with regards to other areas on conflict in the area.

5. Shackley

Banned

OK, fair comment.

Perhaps it would after all be a better idea to have troops speaking Belgian, Danish, French, Icelandic, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Portuguese, Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Bulgarian, Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Slovakian, Slovenian and of course English fighting an insurgent army that speaks Persian and Pashtu :D

6. Samtheman1k

Wise Guy

It just seems strange that we would take on that extra commitment when we are already committed enough in other parts of the world! I was thinking why another country, who perhaps isn't as stretched at the UK, isn't taking on the more demanding roles...

7. anarchist

PermaBanned

We are America's ally so there is probably an element (I don't know how big) of basically doing what we are told to do.

8. Errol

Wise Guy

They are going to Afghanistan to die. Simple as that.

Get ready for casualties on a hither-to unprecedented scale.

9. anarchist

PermaBanned

But, looking on the bright side, when Afghanistan is stable at least the oil companies will make lots of money from the new pipeline...

10. Errol

Wise Guy

When ?

Is this the same 'when' applied to Iraq ? If so, come back in 2011.

11. anarchist

PermaBanned

True, it could be an "if", but I suspect the country with the biggest guns will win at some point in the future.

12. Borris

Caporegime

Actually, it tends to be the country with the cheapest, most abundant guns that wins.

13. willd58

PermaBanned

Were in Afghanistan because were not cowards. It’s the same reason we went to war with the Germans. Back then there were nay Sayers who didn’t want to get involved, they just wanted to leave the Jews in the ovens and didn’t mind the other countless evils either. Cowards the lot of them.

Were there to fight an Evil, anyone who says "but why us" or "we shouldn’t get involved, its not our place" should ask themselves if they’d get involved and stop the rape of a woman as they were walking down the street.

The nay Sayers could come at you with "oh the poor rapist, he doesn’t know what he’s doing" and, they could also try and say that it would be dangerous for you to get involved or that you were getting involved for other reasons for your own benefit, other than to help the woman.

Anyone who would fall for that kind of social political filth is a coward and just as bad as the rapist imo.

14. anarchist

PermaBanned

There is far worse evil in the world than the Taleban, hence why I don't buy the "fighting evil" motive. No country has ever gone to war simply to stop bad things happening in another country. We weren't at war with Germany to stop the jews being killed, we went because we ourselves were threatened. Morality never comes into it.

15. anarchist

PermaBanned

Yes, that's a good point actually. Obviously for the initial invasion, the military might of air strikes etc. count for a lot, but when it comes to fighting on the ground, you are right that having lots of cheap guns is a big bonus.

So what's your prediction for Afghanistan, another Iraq?

16. crashuk

PermaBanned

thats so true, we are in Afghanistan because it suits the the elite.

17. crashuk

PermaBanned

Afghanistan= vietnam we could never win it

18. Shackley

Banned

Admirable sentiment. Sadly, I suspect that you are too kind to the government of the day.

I don't think that it was common knowledge that the Nazis were gassing Jews, Gypsies, Homosexuals, etc., or planned to do so to millions of them. I do believe that eventually Britain got involved because it realised that it had no choice. Not bravery, not cowardice, just inevitability. I don't think that we got involved in Afghanistan out of bravery either.

19. anarchist

PermaBanned

It was known to the likes of IBM, General Motors, Ford etc. who all supplied them with equipment to help them in their task. Genocide on such a wide scale is very good for job creation and profits...

20. Shackley

Banned

I'm not disagreeing with your very depressing assertion, I wasn't aware of this angle. Do you know of any independent references to this foreknowledge?

Certainly I have always understood that it wasn't until well into the war that Churchill realised what was happening. I beliveve that Churchill was very pro-Jewish, so he would probably have done whatever was possible. In fact, I believe that there was talk about bombing railway lines leading to the concentration camps and possibly even the camps themeselves.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2006