Why aren't bikes as beautiful as they used to be?

Soldato
Does anyone else think bikes are getting pretty ugly these days? Sure, the technical capability of them is insane but the effort in making them pretty doesn't seem to be there anymore.

For example, how did this:
Yamaha%20YZF%20R1%202001%20Deep%20Purple%20Blue%20Met_jpg.jpg

End up looking like this?
NV150817_0.jpg

Don't get me wrong, new bikes aren't COMPLETELY hideous but they're getting there, does anyone else agree?

Associate
I was chatting about this with someone the other day.

It's like bikes used to be all curvy and rounded and now they're going all angular. And cars have gone the other way around :eek:

I like the modern evil looks, though not the build quality :)

Soldato
Tbh, the worse thing about the new R1 is the headlight, can't stand the bug eye look. I know you weren't talking about the R1 in particular though.
For me it massively depends on the bike though, some bikes look better in the older, more curvy shapes, while some do look better with sharp angles on them. The biggest thing that annoys me on bikes now is the ridiculous number plate hangers, hate them being stuck out on a long arm from under the rear seat.

Soldato
The new CRZ, F10 BMW bonnet, Astra VXR, GTR (slightly),Lambo's, all have some 'jaggy' design. That said you do have a point.

Though if the design wasn't changing we'd be complaining that they weren't pulling their fingers out similar to how Porsche haven't :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree completely but then I am a bit biased :p
DSC_00361024x768.jpg

I went shopping a couple of years ago for a brand new litre sports bike. I left empty handed as I just didnt like the look of any of them. Problem is they are all jumping on the bandwagon to look like a motogp bike. In the end I gave up and went and bought the 999.

Associate
Tbh, the worse thing about the new R1 is the headlight, can't stand the bug eye look. I know you weren't talking about the R1 in particular though.
For me it massively depends on the bike though, some bikes look better in the older, more curvy shapes, while some do look better with sharp angles on them. The biggest thing that annoys me on bikes now is the ridiculous number plate hangers, hate them being stuck out on a long arm from under the rear seat.

I was the same about the lights until I saw one on the track at the weekend. They look nice when nailing it down the straight toward you! :D

Any other time and they look like a rat though

Associate
Ive owned 2 5eb r6'ers and a 2001 r1 , and the current models blow them out of the water on looks & everything else, the aggressive lines/styling are just sick. the r6/1 range has gotten better with every model change.

my 58 plate r6

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've got to agree with you, when I see an older bike (especially the era of the first picture you posted) I stop and stare. Utterly gorgeous machines! When I see a modern bike I look as I hear the noise, then go "meh, it's a bike" :(

Associate
Hmmmm now to me, the blue flame can and chrome wheels are just nasty.

Each to their own I guess.

I second that

And for me the newer the better imo I just can't really appreciate old/classic bikes like i do cars.. maybe it will grow on me one day and i'll appreciate the classic bikes but looking a classic bikes many years ago 50+ they all looked reltively the same its only now in the past couple of decades that there is such a vast variety of bikes out there designed for different terrain, looks appeal etc etc.

Soldato
I second that

And for me the newer the better imo I just can't really appreciate old/classic bikes like i do cars.. maybe it will grow on me one day and i'll appreciate the classic bikes but looking a classic bikes many years ago 50+ they all looked reltively the same its only now in the past couple of decades that there is such a vast variety of bikes out there designed for different terrain, looks appeal etc etc.

Utter crap

Soldato
I dont think bikes have ever looked better than they did in the mid to late 90's.

the 916, the VFR 750 etc etc.

Fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom