Why being an Engineer means nothing in this country

Soldato
I quite agree.

The problem is that the word Engineer actually has a definition (for example; "The application of scientific and mathematical principles to practical ends such as the design, manufacture, and operation of efficient and economical structures, machines, processes, and systems."). Some numpty who comes along, looks at your boiler and tells you that a new one is required is not, by definition, an Engineer. Its a real shame that the term has been devalued in this country by not being protected.

Associate
yeh i wouldnt get too caught up by it, i work with loads of engineers at an Aerospace company, and although i'm sure they are good at their job and their maths/science, they fail at common knowledge and social skills and cant really hold a conversation. Seems as if 1 part of their brain is supercharged and the other lacks!

Soldato
Ricohet_J get off your high horse

"An Engineer is a person who uses scientific knowledge to solve real life practical problems"

"electrician/boiler man"

Correct me if I am wrong but ELECTRICAL ENGINEER it involves science and maths? "Boiler man" involves electric again if im not mistaken?

boo hoo they use the same term, if your not going for the same job what difference does it make? Your not going to get a plumber/boiler man/electrician going for a job building a bloody bridge are you just because they have "engineer" title.

Crying over nothing imo

Man of Honour
Why should the world conform to your ideal? You conisder yourself an engineer, the other people who call themselves engineers probably consider themselves engineers.

The difference is that he is right, and they are wrong.

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer, will never be an engineer and have no desire to become one so my opinion is unbiased.

Soldato
I will say that obsession with job title is largely irrelevant, it matters what you do, not what you're called.

Agreed, knowledge and experience in your chosen field far outweighs the title that you carry. After all, when you write up you CV for your next job application do you really think that the people short-listing applicants are going to pick the ones who have the experience & qualifications required.....or who currently hold an "engineering" title?

Soldato
This come down to the age of the new middle class released by the politicians around 20 years ago mainly due to the finding of North Sea oil and gas where we encouraged business to flourish and the buying of goods and service and the service sector economy. Up until then the academic middle class were well paid and it was a good role in life and well respected. However back then University made up 5% of 18 year olds and now its around 40 to 50% and they are not studying science or engineering but learning to sell and market stuff or making TV and radio programs.

Academics were once in the 1970's paid a similar rate to politicians but nowadays they are all paid around half of em and teachers more then them.

Soldato
There is one thing that has always puzzled me ...

What the hell is an "airconditioning engineer"?

Last edited:
Associate
But to become chartered, you need an MEng, or BEng to become incorporated.

No you don't and if you did they would annoy me even more than they already do. They like you to have a masters but as long as you can provide evidence that your job is skilled enough you can get CEng with only having a bachelors degree. Just like me, they just dont like telling you.

Soldato
Meh.

I have a PhD in mechanical engineering, and my mate is a welder at a small fabrication company. When we're out and about and people ask us what we do for a living we both say "engineer". I find it quite amusing to be honest.

I don't quite see why you're getting your knickers in a twist about it. Engineering is a very broad profession. If you wanted a profession that screams "hey I'm smarter than you!" every time you mention it, you should have gone for medicine or law I guess.

Soldato
Someone who works on the AC part of HVAC?

Yes, but to me whenever I see that I always think it should say "AC technician" because I doubt the person will be designing a whole new AC unit, rather just maintaining stuff.

Besides, what work does AC need?

Back
Top Bottom