Why being an Engineer means nothing in this country

Caporegime
If people do ask you what you do, just expand on it and the difference will quickly become clear.

Hi, what do you do for a living?
I attach sky dishes to walls and plug the box in OR I compute high speed transonic flows over aerofoil boundary layers.

Theres a bit more to plugging a sky box in than that I'm afraid.

Soldato
The OP is spot on. Blame our industry body, the IEE, now the IET. I'm a 'Principal Engineer', working for a French company - it certainly true that 'engineer' means something on the continent, more so than it does here. However, 'real' engineers do get paid well in the UK.

Caporegime
The OP is spot on. Blame our industry body, the IEE, now the IET. I'm an engineer, working for a French company - it certainly true that 'engineer' means something on the continent, more so than it does here. However, 'real' engineers do get paid well in the UK.

Define a 'real' engineer.

One with a qualification presumably?

Permabanned
While I understand the frustration, a lot of you make yourselves look pretty dumb by calling plumbers and other tradesmen things like '******' and 'monkeys'. People are always going to be happy if they see such condescending numpties wound up about something so trivial so you aren't doing yourselves any favours.

(I'm not an engineer, or a skilled tradesman)

Soldato
I have a BEng Mech Eng degree, I dont call myself an engineer, I dont have an engineering job, so dont really care. However, I have no problem with people calling themselves engineers. Unfortunately my high horse ran away so I cant say 'grr you didnt even goto uni!'.

Im a Financial Analyst for what its worth, for a vehicle manufacturer. I think I can safely say you dont have to be 'chartered' to be a 'real' engineer. A lot of my friends here are engineers, you don't see the IMechE fellows bashing them down for being called engineers without a degree. I think you're just being out of order OP. The real workplace doesnt call for all engineers to be CEng or even IEng.

Soldato
If an engineer is someone who uses maths/science to carry out there job in BUILDING something then im sure most plumbers/chippies/roofers etc could be classed as an engineer. Just because they didnt take 4 years and £20k worth of debt to get a qualification and a TITLE doesnt mean they are less skilled than someone who has. They have skills in a completely different area which im sure most of you pencil pushing nancy boys couldnt do. Just like they couldnt construct/design the severn bridge etc..

Im also sure these so called "monkeys" will enjoy working for you as no doubt sometime in your life you will need to call one of these people to do a job for you, so remember that before. YOUR CALLING THEM TO HELP YOU IN SOMETHING YOU CANT DO. Now are they still a monkey?

Soldato
Why's that then? Because they think that their hard work for four years (at least) deserves recognition greater than any monkey who installs Sky dishes for a living?

Im going to go ahead and say that Uni isnt hard work. It shouldnt be, if you love it then its not hard. If you find it hard, quit being a ponce because its really not. :p

Soldato
While I understand the frustration, a lot of you make yourselves look pretty dumb by calling plumbers and other tradesmen things like '******' and 'monkeys'. People are always going to be happy if they see such condescending numpties wound up about something so trivial so you aren't doing yourselves any favours.

(I'm not an engineer, or a skilled tradesman)

100% agreed, you just make graduate engineers (or any other profession) look like ****s thinking you're above them because you went to uni.

Soldato
maybe we should all call you a **** so that it differentiates you from all those "semi-skilled" engineers

Congrats to you, resorting to name calling, arn't you the perfect e-thug :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

[TW]Fox;13529689 said:
Not neccesarily you don't. It is perfectly possible to be a chartered engineer without any formal qualifications.

It used to be a lot easier than nowadays, but only certain courses are accredited by certain institutions.

No you don't and if you did they would annoy me even more than they already do. They like you to have a masters but as long as you can provide evidence that your job is skilled enough you can get CEng with only having a bachelors degree. Just like me, they just dont like telling you.

What I posted was the simplistic way of explaining it. You can get there with a Bachelors but if I rememeber correctly you have to prove it in quite a variety of ways. Not that knowledgable onit to be frank, all I need to know is how to fulfil for competancies whilst having an accredited MEng.

Anyway, plenty of people shouting elitism in here, and screw you students and uni..... Sigh, good ol GD at its best ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
What and people who didn't go to University don't work hard in their jobs?

Im working with people that have degrees now and they really dont know much. Yes they may be ubber clever and know how to work out the point load on a given area but they sure cant do any real work!

What engineering degrees teach you is theory and it stays theory until you apply it. I was taught maths to degree level on one of my modules when i did my HNC but i can say i've never used any of it. I only use basic arithmatic.

Its all good having a degree and getting excited by bending moments or Eulers Fomula but in reality things are different.

Soldato
Im working with people that have degrees now and they really dont know much. Yes they may be ubber clever and know how to work out the point load on a given area but they sure cant do any real work!

What engineering degrees teach you is theory and it stays theory until you apply it. I was taught maths to degree level on one of my modules when i did my HNC but i can say i've never used any of it. I only use basic arithmatic.

Its all good having a degree and getting excited by bending moments or Eulers Fomula but in reality things are different.

Tbh it all depends on what type of engineering you do, I did Aerospace Eng at uni and I was doing a MSc in Mechanical Engineer when I was offered my first job doing Structural Design Engineering which I took.

I have done around 10 mobilisations now and had a fair amount of field experience in the past 2 years and I can say that in my job bending moments and eulers equations are used pretty much every day, as well as a lot of connection design.

Since moving to consultancy the Continuum Mechanics I studied at uni is coming into play more doing F.E. models and looking at small amounts of CFD but I still have the background field knowledge which a lot of engineers never get.

One of the first things I was taught when I started as an Engineer was this.

"What we do is easy, the hard part is the people on site getting it to work"

That's stuck with me and basically means that put a little bit of thought in to your design and how things are going to work when the people use it.

I have great respect for the Deck Supts/Vessel Supts/Foremans/Riggers I have worked with as you can learn a lot from them if you listen, but what I have found is that when I am in charge of a Mob and I am there as a project rep I can be met with a lot of resistance from the older members of crew as they have the "We've done it like this for x years we're not changing"

One particular time this happened was in Malta where we were installing concrete sleepers in 1.5km water depth, the rigging had been design accordingly and the sleepers cradle had been set up on deck for ease of deployment at a certian angle and the sleepers had to be installed in the correct manor.

I explained to the deck crew the correct way and the reasons watch the first installation and then came out after the second had been installed to see it installed incorrectly, when I asked why they said told me the orientation shouldn't matter.

This lead to me explaining to the deck crew and Supt why they had to go in the correct way and the problems it would lead to if they weren't.

So in summary the **** slides both ways, people don't treat engineers as engineers if they are young and even though you could have done something 100 times doesn't mean its correct.

KaHn

Soldato
This thread fails, personally I wouldn't want to work with someone that thinks they are above other people.

Going by that comment you should be self employed, as you clearly won't want to ever have a boss or anyone above you :D

kaHn, I really do find your experience and stories fascinating, and will proably want to pick your brains about it sometime.

But I totally agree about the tough tasks that are getting the contractors/ groud teams to do what you want in the correct way. But also they will most likely have a lot of expereince, and can offer you advice as well as teach you an awful lot, helping you to become a better engineer :)

Back
Top Bottom