Why do bookies sometimes pay out early?

Associate
I can't see the reason why bookies pay out early on some bets before the thing betted on has happened.
Ok, so when they pay out early the event is probably 99.9% likely to happen, but there is always the chance that it won't.

So why don't they just wait and see in case it doesn't happen?
Also, surely while they hold the money they can keep it invested somewhere and make more off it? So they longer they have it the more they get from it.
And lastly, the longer the time from when the bet was made to the winnings being collected, the more people will lose their slip so won't be able to claim.

So, what is the reason for paying out early, despite the points I put forward against paying out early? Anyone know?

Man of Honour
I was talking about this to somebody and apparently they can't do as much with money that is potentially owed to customers? I think it also means that they can close the bet off early, therefore now allowing some people to place crazy high money on events that are likely to happen and reap a few thousand back.

E.g. last season when Manu were running away with the title just before they won it. Say e.g. the odds were 20/1 for them to win the league. You bet £200,000 on them to win - and you get back your initial stake plus £1000.

Man of Honour
Greenlizard0 said:
E.g. last season when Manu were running away with the title just before they won it. Say e.g. the odds were 20/1 for them to win the league. You bet £200,000 on them to win - and you get back your initial stake plus £1000.
You mean 1/20? 20/1 would be fantastic odds for them winning the league at the start of the season, never mind when they're 'running away with the title'.

Back
Top Bottom