Why do some avoid the doctors?

Caporegime
I've got a member of a family who isn't well, shivers,coughs keeps falling asleep during the day(very tired) and generally sounds terrible on the phone. She recently got hit by the norovirus as did i, but unlike me she got hit by a second virus. Now i've asked her to go to the doctors but she wont, i've told her she needs to go but she won't. "Just keeps saying, It's just a virus it's not my chest they won't do anything for me". "Just leave it, it's not worth going".

It seems to be a problem on her female side as her sister is like that aswell, i said to her that "you are just like your sister". "You would be collapsed on the floor and you still wouldn't go". All i got was " well she had cancer that's a bit different ". Which is not what i meant :rolleyes:

I know the rules regarding medical advice, but has anyone got a family member like that?

Soldato
Yes me, I am pretty lazy so when ill I am even more lazy but I just don't like them either, not so much the doctor but the waiting room and stuff. :confused:

I would rather wait until I collapse and someone calls 999.

Just don't like it.

Caporegime
OP
Some people have had a **** doctor. Some people are responsible enough to know that for every little sniggle it's not worth going in.

Very true, however i think it's my fear of what happened to her many years ago because of her stubborn attitude. She ended up in hospital with Pneumonia and she said exactly the same thing then

Man of Honour
Very true, however i think it's my fear of what happened to her many years ago because of her stubborn attitude. She ended up in hospital with Pneumonia and she said exactly the same thing then

Aye, sure, there are stories of people who did not go in, only to find out they were more ill than they had originally thought. That will happen to 'somebody' we know.

But that far out weighs the amount of people who go in for nothing. Or who go in for nothing, get a note so they can skive off work.

Man of Honour
Some people have had a **** doctor. Some people are responsible enough to know that for every little sniggle it's not worth going in.

This and obviously some people are scared, phobias or embarrassed.

I'm the same hate going to the doctor. I suppose most of it comes down to, what are they going to do. Most stuff heals on it's own and all doctors are going to do is give you some stronger painkillers. I keep thinking I need to go, but I have the same attitude what can a GP do, broke my sternum in October still get some grief when doing certain things. in reality there is nothing they can do.
On the opposite end of the scale, you have people going in every week for no reason, clogging the system up.

I don't get people who go in for strains and stuff like that. Just sign yourself of work and rest it. Nothing a doctor can do, then strap it up when you go back to work for a bit.

Last edited:
Soldato
My gf has been like that after her doctor misdiagnosed viral encephalitis as meningitis and she almost died. Now she refuses to go to the doctor or hospital. Seems silly to me but perhaps I go too much.

Soldato
I'd rather go to a witch doctor than a UK GP (Quack,Quack!) oops! 'Sorry wrong drug, don't worry the side effects may only be temporary'. Quack Quack oops!. Hey try this drug instead, no guarantees but you never know.

'Hey! I get a nice commision for prescribing this drug, try it!' It probably won't make you feel any better but at least it will help me pay for the new Bentley!'

Associate
There is generally very little confidence in GP doctors.

And the only reason hospital doctors appear any better is because they will do a whole load of potentially unnecessary tests before concluding that "its a virus", whilst at the GP there wont be any tests and the answer is the same.

Caporegime
She recently got hit by the norovirus as did i, but unlike me she got hit by a second virus. Now i've asked her to go to the doctors but she wont, i've told her she needs to go but she won't. "Just keeps saying, It's just a virus it's not my chest they won't do anything for me". "Just leave it, it's not worth going".

Actually a good attitude to have tbh... unless your symptoms are really severe then going to the doctors for viral infections like cold/flu etc.. is really stupid - you are just wasting their time. Even worse are morons who demand anit-biotics and Doctors who give into demand and dish out anti-biotics - this just contributes to lessening the effect of those anti-biotics in general.

Caporegime
I'd rather go to a witch doctor than a UK GP (Quack,Quack!) oops! 'Sorry wrong drug, don't worry the side effects may only be temporary'. Quack Quack oops!. Hey try this drug instead, no guarantees but you never know.

'Hey! I get a nice commision for prescribing this drug, try it!' It probably won't make you feel any better but at least it will help me pay for the new Bentley!'

You're an idiot.

That comment isn't warranted here.

Soldato
I only go to tge doctor if I think it's serious. Last time I went I was feeling tired and thirsty and due to history of diabetes on tge family I went in and got checked. No diabetes!

My point is that if I have a cold, flu or fever I won't go as I've had them before and they'll sort themselves out after a few days. If the illness persisted for more than a week I'd go in. Most people probably have similar thoughts.

Soldato
I avoid them because I go:
Put on prescription
Doesn't work
Put on another prescription
Doesn't work
Put on another prescription
Doesn't work
Do my own research, head to the pharmasists twice a month
Doesn't work
Referred to the hospital after waiting 6 months
Placed on another prescription
Doesn't work
Wait another 6 months for a hospital appointment...

Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera .

Soldato
Don't get me wrong, my doctor is excellent, infact the best in the practice. That's probably why it's so difficult to get an appointment with him. However, my surgery operates a 'call in the morning and we'll fit you in any available slot during that day' which is good. Pretty excellent if you ask me.

The thing that really grinds my gears is the waiting times for hospitals. My other half has quite a [potentially] pretty serious condition and it's taken over a year and a half to get to the stage where they're contemplating surgery to find out what's wrong.

Back
Top Bottom