Poll: Why does England still have a royal family?

Are you pro or anti royal?

• Total voters
Associate
Any logical reason why? As an outsider l can't see any reason why countries like England, Japan and other advanced countries still carry baggage from the middle ages.

Talking to some relatives in England about this shows that most of them like the Royal Family but offer me no good explanation why. I know that the royal family has no power nowadays so why not finish what the French and the Russians started? :p

Man of Honour
Any logical reason why? As an outsider l can't see any reason why countries like England, Japan and other advanced countries still carry baggage from the middle ages.

Talking to some relatives in England about this shows that most of them like the Royal Family but offer me no good explanation why. I know that the royal family has no power nowadays so why not finish what the French and the Russians started? :p

Ask yourselves why Britain commands such attention from foreign tourists, and you'll be one step closer to the answer.

Associate
OP
I can understand tourists that want to see the Buckingham palace and other palaces but wouldn't that be easier if nobody lived in it? I don't think they come simply because you have a royal family. They aren't going to get an audience with them anyway :p

Man of Honour
I can understand tourists that want to see the Buckingham palace and other palaces but wouldn't that be easier if nobody lived in it? I don't think they come simply because you have a royal family. They aren't going to get an audience with them anyway :p

Do you think other countries don't have the old palaces and royal buildings? They do, but they don't command the sort of attention that ours do, because ours still have the royal family living in them.

You've got to realise, they really are living history!

TJM

TJM

Associate
There's no urgent need to get rid of them. The British aristocracy relinquished power over the centuries instead of forcing modernisers to cut their heads off.

One bad monarch will probably do it in. If we have 30 years of meddling Prince Charles as King then I can easily imagine demand for an elected Presidential figurehead (like Germany and Ireland) when he snuffs it.

Caporegime
As Head of State, The Monarch undertakes constitutional and representational duties which have developed over one thousand years of history. In addition to these State duties, The Monarch has a less formal role as 'Head of Nation'. The Sovereign acts as a focus for national identity, unity and pride; gives a sense of stability and continuity; officially recognises success and excellence; and supports the ideal of voluntary service.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
By and large they are quite popular, although there is a growing republican minority I feel.

The Queen is one of the best diplomats we have, one of our best 'exports' so to speak. Everyone has heard of The Queen, and having a living active (at least in ceremonial and diplomatic issues) Royal Families is very attractive proposition to many tourists. Not many might come across just for them, but it helps for the 'UK/England/London experience'.

I see no reason to get rid of them.

Associate
OP
Would be interesting if you got rid of them and replace them with Iron Maiden, the kings of Metal. :p

Imagine Iron Maiden giving a performance in the gardens of Buckingham palace :p

Soldato
Well there's a dignity to royalty. A majesty that precludes the likelihood of assassination. If you were to point a pistol at a King or a Queen your hands would shakes as though palsied. If you were to try to assassinate a King (or Queen in this case), sir, the, how shall I say it, the aura of royalty would cause you to miss. But, a President, I mean, why not shoot a President?

Back
Top Bottom