Why don't people add RAM to loop?

Associate
You see so many builds from what look like experts when it comes to the quality of what they have made. They go really overboard on most watercooling builds. 3 huge radiators cpu block 2 gpu blocks sometimes a monoblock for motherboard and cpu. But it is VERY rare to see anyone watercool their RAM. I know it's not needed and most of the time neither are 3 rads with push pull fans on them needed but watercooling is all about being excessive lol.

So why don't we see RAM watercooled more often?

Associate
OP
Would probably cost less than £50 and take 10 minutes more. As we know nits not about the cost it's about the fun building and the aesthetics.

Soldato
Its pointless though. If it gave you moar FPS or a quieter system then people would do it, but it doesn't so no one bothers.

As you said, aesthetics you could maybe make an argument for, but its the PC equivalent of go faster stripes :p

Soldato
Yes money usually gets ****** up the wall with custom watercooling but the general idea is to get a custom level of noise, temperature, layout and appearance but most of all, improved performance from the parts since they can do better with good cooling.

You don't get anything out of the fancy heatspreaders on RAM besides protect them a bit from handling so watercooling them is an actual joke.

Associate
OP
I looked at systems with titans in and x99 mobos with the 1500 pound cpu etc and then watercool the lot. No silly air coolers anywhere and it all looks nice and colourful with the liquid paths etc. Then you have them silly oversized heat thingsettings on the corsair ram which most expensive builders tend to use. Just looks out of place to me.

You do have people that swear by overclocking the ram. Doesn't watercooling help at all.

Man of Honour
Because it's completely pointless. My ram is overvolted, overclocked and just about all of the timings have been tightened up. It's also naked and barely get's warm. Why on earth would I want to add extra restriction and more tubing to the loop?

Associate
I have thought about it (Purely in a why the hell not kind of way)
My issue was due to the size of Ram the tubing size inside the block would have to be tiny and would absolutely kill water flow.

Not willing to make all the other components hotter just to say my ram is 4 c cooler.

So in answer to your question, its a waste of money and unless you did a separate ram loop it would also hurt your other temperatures.

Soldato
The same reason you don't watercool your HDD. The only part i could see a reason is the PSU but it would be difficult as its many close parts that give off the heat.

Soldato
Surely you were joking about water cooling a PSU? ^

Actually no, pretty sure someone in CES displayed a watercooled PSU.

For some system aiming for absolute silence with maximum power, they could possibly eliminate another layer of noise from the PSU fan, this is particularly true in system that is overclocked e.g. X99 w/ 1080Ti SLI etc.

Associate
There were a few watercooled PSU's (koolance and Hiper?) on the market a few years back. If you don't have any fittings on the inside then its very unlikely you would have a leak.

Back
Top Bottom