Why I have gone back to Windows 7

Man of Honour
I couldn't imagine using Windows 7 compared to 10, 10 is so much smoother.

Not sure how you mean smoother - I've Windows 10 and 7 running side by side and 7 is perfectly smooth, most operations are efficient in terms of input, etc. though I can see how 10 can be an improvement if you use search and key presses a lot to navigate to things (I personally don't). I actually find 10 an eye sore compared to 7 (I'm using aero glass with a dark charcoal type UI theme but not like the dark/night themes people use).

V F

V F

Soldato
Well folks,
I have looked around many times whats the best O/S for gaming etc, but now that after spending some three weeks restoring my PC to how I want it after the Windows 1809 patch wiped out all of my game saves etc due to the 1809 patch issue as per https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/08/microsoft_windows_10_pulled/

With the stupid Cortana, "diagnostics", adverts, games installed I am going back to Windows 7, over which I know I can use everything I want to and not worry about Canda Crush Saga reinstalling itself every ten minutes.

I ONLY want what I install on it, NOT want MS want me to put on.

I cannot see a reason now to stay with Windows 10, not until they have had a year or of good updates...

... and yesterday was the last straw with the activation issue, I formatted my machine and installed Windows 7

Am I mad let me know your thoughts below -

Have you had a look into these?

https://github.com/YasserDRIF/Toggle-Tweaker
https://www.getblackbird.net/documentation/
https://github.com/DavidXanatos/wumgr

V F

V F

Soldato
Windows 7 is a step back too far for me. Windows 8.1 is where it's at. :p

Considering most here were having endless hissy fits over Windows tiles and no start button for years.

At least 8 gave you the same control as Windows 7 for Windows updates.

Man of Honour
W10 updates were the reason I finally abandoned Windows for anything except a few games. I no longer felt in control of 'my' OS.

Soldato
If it wasnt for directx I would still be using windows 7 also as I hate windows 10, but you have to try to move with the times. I have managed to get win10 looking and feeling more like win7 though.

I havent touched any of the pointless win10 apps and stuff, if you try removing or messing about with those, your opening a can of worms for yourself. So I just forget that they are there and never access them....

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If it wasnt for directx I would still be using windows 7 also as I hate windows 10, but you have to try to move with the times. I have managed to get win10 looking and feeling more like win7 though.

I havent touched any of the pointless win10 apps and stuff, if you try removing or messing about with those, your opening a can of worms for yourself. So I just forget that they are there and never access them....

When it comes to OSes I don't hang back for the sake of it - I was on the insider program relatively early on and had several Windows 10 deployments - but these days any machine I actually want to use is firmly back on 7 - I've some systems on 10 but only because the hardware isn't supported on anything earlier and often I end up turning to my 7 or even a tablet I have on Windows 8 over them because Windows 10 significantly impacts on the convenience of using those systems and/or if I want to run a task for a longer duration and know the OS won't mess with it I have no choice.

Man of Honour
Theres some solid engineering under the terrible interface of 8.1.

Yeah - it could have been a really good OS if they'd left some form of start menu in, made the UI a bit nicer especially the mess they made of file explorer and not gone half baked on 3 different approaches to settings/control panel.

Some of the new additions like the new approach to the file copy dialog and extra features for it were nice and when you get below the shell level there is some really good work in the kernel especially multi-threading, etc. and my Windows 8 devices usually boot to a working desktop faster than even the higher spec 7 and 10 systems I've got.

Annoyingly when I hacked up my own start menu using some shell tweaks I found that probably 90-95% of the Windows 7 start menu is still there resources (like layout files, etc.) and functions in the DLLs, etc. it is probably missing less than 5% code from being functional in the OS so it was a decision not to enable it rather than never developing it as such.

The funny thing is I didn't like Windows 8 much but I never thought on release of it there would be a day I'd say I'd take Windows 8 over another OS until Windows 10 came along - my Windows 8 tablet gets far more use than my 10 ones as it is far more reliable i.e. if I pick up one of my 10 ones to quickly google something a good chance it decides to do something of its own accord like launching into updates... total fail.

Soldato
Don't know how you can deal with Windows 7 anymore, I installed it onto a spare hard drive that I connected to my RyZen 2700X system, all I can say is OMG what a nightmare, driver issues, not installing correctly, even if they did install, they were missing parts, important parts like PCI drivers etc, slow as crap, once a very loved OS, Windows 10 is defo way better, smoother and faster.

Soldato
Don't know how you can deal with Windows 7 anymore, I installed it onto a spare hard drive that I connected to my RyZen 2700X system, all I can say is OMG what a nightmare, driver issues, not installing correctly, even if they did install, they were missing parts, important parts like PCI drivers etc, slow as crap, once a very loved OS, Windows 10 is defo way better, smoother and faster.

Not unexpected, the Ryzen architecture postdates the OS release by years and doesn't officially support Windows 7. You can't really criticise Windows 7 for that!

Soldato
Not unexpected, the Ryzen architecture postdates the OS release by years and doesn't officially support Windows 7. You can't really criticise Windows 7 for that!

Except all of the Windows 7 drivers are available on the MSi X470 Gaming M7 website and the AMD drivers website, they just dont work properly.

Managed to get Killer network working and Intel WiFi, but by digging within the drivers themselves, took hours of work, then there was Vega64 drivers I was having trouble with, I had to install and older version to get those working and chipset drivers, I never managed to get AMD PCI Device Drivers x 2 installed or AMD PSP 3.0 Device, what ever that is.

Soldato
I'm still using Windows 7. I upgraded my pc system in January, and installed Windows 10 as it was newer.

I think it was only on there for about an hour until I reformatted and put 7 back on.

Soldato
I'm still using Windows 7. I upgraded my pc system in January, and installed Windows 10 as it was newer.

I think it was only on there for about an hour until I reformatted and put 7 back on.
I think I put win10 on my pc about 3-4 times before leaving it on.. everytime I reverted back to win7, I thought "I must get the hang of win10" and a few days/weeks later win10 was back on for a few more days, then back I would go to win7.

Us humans hate change, Its the same with every new OS that comes out, Im go back and forth a good few times before I am happy with the new OS.... Anyway hopefully there wont be a new OS that MS forces us to use for a good few years, but saying that, win10 is getting quite old now,

Im shock that win10 still supports the old SCSI LTO tape drives, I thought I would have to dual boot win7 to get that working,, but it picked it up without any probs using the win7 SCSI driver. So good on you Microsoft

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom