Why I have gone back to Windows 7

V F

V F

Soldato
Its just the worst OS they have bought out thats all, regardless if it works or not and windows 3.1/3.11 was a great OS at the time..... Basically all the past OS has been improvements,, win10 hasnt been improved, just gone backwards, got very bloated, and you havent got much control over it.

Marketing people must love Elevon plus he reads and cherry picks what he wants to argue for and justify.

Man of Honour
So you are moaning for sake of it, you have stated it's rock solid 99% of the time. I can understand changes/things added or removed from OS but that will always happen, just look at the past from Windows 3.1, the direction Microsoft is going is an all in one OS, they have stated that several times.

The real issue IMHO is not proper testing with some of the updates for 10 or trying to release them too soon. OS itself is fine IMHO.

There are changes that are a case of adjusting to something different and there are changes that are show stopping or a significant step backwards regardless of how you look at it. I mean how do I adjust to using a PC for a task that requires significant stable uptime - no reboots, no taking executive actions without realworld context awareness (which is pretty much a fundamental requirement for an OS anyhow) if I can't rely on the OS to do that and limited in options for using other OSes?

It kind of makes a mockery of even having a professional edition for an OS when at best it still doesn't trust the end user and only hands back a semblance of control that is as much an illusion as any real control.

Soldato
Im a gamer, and im not, as theres hardly any Dx12 games out, or coming.
If Id known that no games were going to use directx 12/12.5 in the foreseeable future, I wouldnlt of upgraded to win10, id stuck with win7 till the bitter end

What audio player do you use? I had issues with Winamp until changing the output.
I use winamp lite but I also use the motherboards onboard sound too, So I can play games and listern to my music at the same time. So I have my x-fi card going though my sound system and the onboard through the pc speakers.

Man of Honour
If Id known that no games were going to use directx 12/12.5 in the foreseeable future, I wouldnlt of upgraded to win10, id stuck with win7 till the bitter end

Annoyingly 1-2 new games have Windows 10 as a minimum requirement for no actual good reason. In many cases the DX12 renderer in the games that have it runs lower performance and/or more stutter without any or very minimal visual quality increase and Vulkan runs on 7 fine providing all the same features...

Soldato
There are changes that are a case of adjusting to something different and there are changes that are show stopping or a significant step backwards regardless of how you look at it. I mean how do I adjust to using a PC for a task that requires significant stable uptime - no reboots, no taking executive actions without realworld context awareness (which is pretty much a fundamental requirement for an OS anyhow) if I can't rely on the OS to do that and limited in options for using other OSes?

It kind of makes a mockery of even having a professional edition for an OS when at best it still doesn't trust the end user and only hands back a semblance of control that is as much an illusion as any real control.

I run my Win10 pretty much default, no anti-tracking software or major changes, I let Windows do the auto updates, I also install drivers manually when I need too. I also have third party software Driver Booster 6 installed which seems to find newer drivers then Windows. As to reboots I turn my PC on every morning and off last thing at night, manual reboot if any during the day which is rare for me takes less then a minute, obviously longer if it's a major Windows update.

It has not given me any issues at home or interrupted my gaming or browsing by suddenly rebooting or trying to take control while I'm using it.

OS does what I need it too, rock stable, plays all my games fine, no lag or weird issues, just lets me do my thing.

So for me not given me any major issues. Last point stability of 10 is amazing for me even with overclocked CPU and video card, I will say it was the same situation on 8/8.1 as well but we all know how much bitching that OS got as well.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I run my Win10 pretty much default, no anti-tracking software or major changes, I let Windows do the auto updates, I also install drivers manually when I need too. I also have third party software Driver Booster 6 installed which seems to find newer drivers then Windows. As to reboots I turn my PC on every morning and off last thing at night, manual reboot if any during the day which is rare for me takes less then a minute, obviously longer if it's a major Windows update.

It has not given me any issues at home or interrupted my gaming or browsing by suddenly rebooting or trying to take control while I'm using it.

OS does what I need it too, rock stable, plays all my games fine, no lag or weird issues, just lets me do my thing.

So for me not given me any major issues. Last point stability of 10 is amazing for me even with overclocked CPU and video card, I will say it was the same situation on 8/8.1 as well but we all know how much bitching that OS got as well.

Missing the point of what I'm saying - I'm talking about running continuous tasks that might take some days to complete that interruption like a reboot or the OS becoming very busy in the background isn't acceptable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Missing the point of what I'm saying - I'm talking about running continuous tasks that might take some days to complete that interruption like a reboot or the OS becoming very busy in the background isn't acceptable.
Id be very annoyed if my win10 rebooted its self randomly to finish doing the updates and wotnots, as I have a 3d printer connected to my pc and some prints can take a few days to print.

Man of Honour
Id be very annoyed if my win10 rebooted its self randomly to finish doing the updates and wotnots, as I have a 3d printer connected to my pc and some prints can take a few days to print.

I don't think anyone at MS actually uses Windows 10 for anything outside of browsing the internet and light gaming - there are loads of instances of stuff like that people do for hobbies whether it is data logging, using something like a 3D printer for more CNC like functionality, streaming or video encoding, etc. some of it Windows 10 does see as activity and delay updates, other stuff it doesn't and even then it will intermittently take executive action or decide for itself you've delayed too long and go ahead anyway.

I've not really been using it so much lately but when I was tinkering with electronics as a hobby I was using a PC to log data from an oscilloscope where a reboot in the middle of that would result in having to redo dozens of hours or days of testing.

Soldato
I think I have tamed the beast on the updating part as I havent had any probs with it rebooting itself since disabling the windows update from the group policy. But yes its well annoying that a lot of the control has been taken away from the user with windows 10. It would have been good if the all the control was given back to the user in the pro/enterprise versions and you have very little control in the home/basic versions.

V F

V F

Soldato

If one was doing that including 3D modelling/rendering, I'd reckon you'd have to pull out the Ethernet cable knowing the track history of Windows 10. Since dependant on the complexities of the render, they can also take days.

Soldato
Yeah that would work, a bit of a faff though. But all I have done is disabled it from in the group policy and gone through the control panel/pc settings and turned off everything I dont need. Even though I haven't tried uninstalling any of the preinstalled apps, windows may have been updating them Im not sure, but it hasn't been pestering me to restart windows or anything.

This is a screenie of the last time I manually checked and updated windows, about 15days ago and it hasn't done anything since.......

i5xanc.jpg

Soldato
Ive noticed some software are Windows 10 only, like Adobe CC 2019. The 2018 version works fine on Win 7, but how long until you have to upgrade to keep your programs working.

Soldato
Marketing people must love Elevon plus he reads and cherry picks what he wants to argue for and justify.

You are wrong as usual, you don't like 10 fine don't use it, you are better off sending constructive feedback to Microsoft rather then bitching in the forums, do I use any OS I hate? Obviously no, end of the day Microsoft are the ones that made the changes etc not me. I don't need justify anything since I'm not in charge of Microsoft, you know what you need to do.

Don't try to hate those that do like an OS even with flaws ( no OS is perfect), personally as I stated I have seen many things I like and hate over the decades with virtually all the Microsoft Operating Systems, do you see me bitching about them ?..As I stated send constructive feedback to Microsoft directly, if you don't like 10 or any OS, use something else. End of the day you have a choice on what you use.

Remember we can't make changes etc only Microsoft can, only if enough people send them constructive feedback on the negative parts of the OS.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive noticed some software are Windows 10 only, like Adobe CC 2019. The 2018 version works fine on Win 7, but how long until you have to upgrade to keep your programs working.

To be fair that is not something new, they have been doing that for many years, it's one way to get customers to upgrade their software. I have had to do that even before Win XP days.

Remember there is a lot of software out there for Windows and one way they try to get their customers to upgrade. I have had to do it a few times on my image/print software, lucky for me it was not expensive.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You are wrong as usual, you don't like 10 fine don't use it, you are better off sending constructive feedback to Microsoft rather then bitching in the forums, do I use any OS I hate? Obviously no, end of the day Microsoft are the ones that made the changes etc not me. I don't need justify anything since I'm not in charge of Microsoft, you know what you need to do.

Don't try to hate those that do like an OS even with flaws ( no OS is perfect), personally as I stated I have seen many things I like and hate over the decades with virtually all the Microsoft Operating Systems, do you see me bitching about them ?..As I stated send constructive feedback to Microsoft directly, if you don't like 10 or any OS, use something else. End of the day you have a choice on what you use.

Remember we can't make changes etc only Microsoft can, only if enough people send them constructive feedback on the negative parts of the OS.

Problem is MS has shown little interest in feedback outside of what they want to see - half the reason for some of the recent issues. So personally I've been vocal any and everywhere in the hope eventually it gets through somehow.

V F

V F

Soldato

Where are the face palm emotes...

Soldato
Problem is MS has shown little interest in feedback outside of what they want to see - half the reason for some of the recent issues. So personally I've been vocal any and everywhere in the hope eventually it gets through somehow.

Problem is Microsoft seem set in their ways and very stubborn, they also think their way is the right way, end of the day there is not much else you can really do. All you can do is keep giving feedback and don't give up. I do hope they also slow down and take more time to test things out with regards to patches/updates etc... All I want is a stable OS and so far that has been fine apart from the activation issue which did not put them in my good graces.

Back
Top Bottom