1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I loathe Politicians :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Orionaut, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Orionaut

Soldato

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ng-contender-race-PM-reveals-deep-regret.html

I dont think it would be at all unreasonable to say (Something like);

"Yes, I tried it a couple of times when I was younger, when offered the opportunity at parties. The experience was interesting but not one I ever felt any desire to make a habit of. I still maintain that these recreational narcotics should be controlled and would have no intention of decriminalising their use"

I dont actually see that as hypocritical at all really, .

But all this blather about ;

"I made a terrible mistake at the time and deeply regret my actions"

Its almost as bad as Clinton claiming that he didn't inhale! :rolleyes:

:mad:

2. Jasoncmor

Gangster

It happened 20 years ago, why is this being spoken about? I bet most people have done something they regret or hate has happened, it shouldn't be held against them for the rest of their lives, I know he is a politician and I hate them all but the past is the past.

3. StriderX

Capodecina

So we should forgive the likes of Cyril Smith for abusing young boys because it happened x years ago when it was and still is illegal and morally repugnant?

Or do we finally ******* admit that drugs should be legal, it's functionally legal considering the statistics, so why are we wasting billions on it.

4. CREATIVE!11

Soldato

Lmao....

All these morons are druggies behind closed doors. They just happen to wear a suit so it often gets a free pass.

No thanks Michael Gove you cokey. Nobody wants you as PM anyway you wingnut.

5. Jasoncmor

Gangster

You are talking about 2 opposite ends of the spectrum.
    Abusing a child vs taking drugs are 2 very different things.

If a grown adult wants to take drugs, let them, it's their choice to make.

I believe drugs should be decriminalised, that would stop a lot of crime, gang violence etc. But unfortunately the government can't collect taxes from the sale of drugs so they will stay illegal until such time that they come up with s solution to rake in profits.

6. MassiveJim

Wise Guy

because people are generally a bit stupid and this would cause more uproar than the fact it happened in the first place

7. Rroff

Man of Honour

Personally I don't think any of the harder drugs should ever be decriminalised - stuff like cannabis isn't really any different from alcohol but others can do significant and permanent damage with no hope of any kind of proper rehabilitation from.

8. alx

Soldato

They have to go with the "it was a terrible mistake" line because otherwise it would cause uproar from the public and/or press. Unfortunately honestly isn't the best policy in these instances.

9. robfosters

Caporegime

We obviously shouldn't just forgive crimes that hurt others and morally reprehensible, but taking a bit of coke is more of a minor misdemeanour in the grand scheme of things. Certainly nothing to apologise for.

It certainly shouldn't affect his position. I admitted to taking class A drugs between the ages of 18-21 (cocaine) when I went for my developed vetting interview for the FCO. They were satisfied it was just occasional recreational use and cleared me, and just told me to stay off it in future.

10. billysielu

Capodecina

I don't care if people try drugs once or twice in their life.
    I do care when the media use it to smear the candidates they don't like.

11. neckbeardthethird

Hitman

Lol, finally a tory does something which actually makes him seem human rather than a soulless automated droid... then he goes and apologises relentlessly for it.

Id rather he apologise for the trainwreck policies of his party rather than apologising for something which millions in the country do every weekend.

12. Lakeland

Soldato

Thanks for the info Boris.

13. StriderX

Capodecina

This is exactly my point, they are both crimes under the law in this country, but one is clearly now functionally ignored. A discussion needs to be had because this is becoming boring and there are much more important things for police to do.

14. mmj_uk

Capodecina

He wouldn't have admitted to it if there wasn't anything in it for him, I think it's probably a case of their being no such thing as publicity. Maybe he thinks he will appeal more to the plebs because lets be frank he comes across as your typical out of touch with the real world career politician. I think his wife was in the news a few weeks ago saying that he couldn't even use a dishwasher. Inspiring stuff.

15. Raz

Mobster

20 years ago he would have been around 30, which isn't quite the same as someone trying drugs as a teenager or student.

He's a not very good politician, a standard Tory MP trying to be human like to get brownie points with the masses. He did also stab Boris in the back re Tory leadership so I suppose that counts for something.

Andrea Leadsom has also just admitted smoking cannabis. In the race for Tory leadership it'll come down to who inhaled the longest...

16. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

Cocaine use is rife in England still across all of the classes.

17. Pipe & Slippers

Hitman

If they legalised them I'm sure they could tax them in a similar way to cigarettes?

18. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

Didn't Portugal decriminalise all drugs and put more money in to drug rehabiliation centres, and since then crime and drug use as declined.

I agree with the OP though, these statements from politicians are purely politically motivated. It's been suggested he's trying to look 'cool' towards the younger tory members so he can get their votes.

19. Teh_Next

Perma Banned

Do you associate yourself as being one of the "plebs," or are you using the term from his perspective. I hope it's the latter.

20. DeanT77

Hitman

"I did a bump or two and knew with the feeling that it gave that it would be a road to nowhere so made the decision not to do it again" would have been an honest answer?

FWIW I haven't touched the stuff and never will because I do believe the above! :eek: