• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

why is a 1080ti still super expensive?

Associate
With the release of the 20 series card many ppl said the 10 series i.e 1080ti will drop in value fast

Apparently the cost of the cards would halve, well its been like 5 months or so and the 1080ti's are still 900 pounds, even on the bay they go for 700-800 pounds

any thoughts?

Associate
OP
Clever marketing from Nvidia.

Got to be noob to pay that kind of money for a 1080 Ti.
well i would have thought it should have been around 500 tops, I can remember this happened when I went from 980 to a Evga Kingpin 980ti for half the price, i bought 2 from OCUK for 500 quid each, would be around the dame time as now that the 1080ti's should have halved in value

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
well i would have thought it should have been around 500 tops, I can remember this happened when I went from 980 to a Evga Kingpin 980ti for half the price, i bought 2 from OCUK for 500 quid each, would be around the dame time as now that the 1080ti's should have halved in value
Things change bro. Now XX80 Ti prices are nearly double. Do you think if Nvidia released the 2080 Ti for £699 anyone would be paying £900 for a 1080 Ti?

Market demand for a popular end of live product. They did drop to £580 when there was a lot of stock to clear.
That and a bunch of noobs that don’t know what’s what.

Associate
OP
Market demand for a popular end of life product. They did drop to £560 when there was a lot of stock to clear.

aah so if some one had a 1080ti now is the best time to sell, before they go down in price, i think sell 1080ti for as much as you can get, get a 2080, at least that card will hold its value when the 1080ti dies down, then sell 2080 for a better price and get what ever is out, best card that is

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
aah so if some one had a 1080ti now is the best time to sell, before they go down in price, i think sell 1080ti for as much as you can get, get a 2080, at least that card will hold its value when the 1080ti dies down, then sell 2080 for a better price and get what ever is out, best card that is
If you can sell and buy a 2080 without spending a penny then I would do it. Just make sure you get a EVGA card or something as Turing cards are known to have much higher failure rates and without good quality warranty to back it, you may struggle a little to sell it on in a years time when the 3000 series comes out.

Caporegime

You missed the fact that the 2080 is £150 more

I doubt you would sell a used 1080ti for 700 or even 650

Pointless exercise...then once the 3000 series hits the 2080 will plummet as it’s a dud gen card anyway :p

Associate
The 1080Ti's were selling fairly cheap both new and used just before the launch of the RTX series. However when the RTX cards launched people realized that the GTX 1080Ti still was a top notch and many held back on selling then and stores that had 1080Ti on sale experienced a sales boom. And when the card went EOL the prices soared like they always do in these instances.

Associate
You missed the fact that the 2080 is £150 more

I doubt you would sell a used 1080ti for 700 or even 650

Pointless exercise...then once the 3000 series hits the 2080 will plummet as it’s a dud gen card anyway :p
Yeah this - if I were going to sell my 1080ti I would buy a 2080ti. Why go through the hassle of selling just for some minor benefits in a handful of games.

To OP I found the best time to buy old gen is as soon as the new gen are announced. This is when I got mine for around 550 quid

Soldato
Gamers Nexus looked into what people were buying via their affiliate links a while back and found that there was a massive surge of people purchasing 1080 Tis once the RTX cards were revealed (which also prompted a lot of retailers to raise prices on them). That cleared out most of the remaining stock, and there's always going to be gouging on an EOL product when stock gets to critical levels.

Soldato
The basic, fundamental problem is that this hobby of ours is populated by too many idiots, willing to pay silly money for anything & everything the manufacturers shove out the door....

Caporegime
If you can sell and buy a 2080 without spending a penny then I would do it. Just make sure you get a EVGA card or something as Turing cards are known to have much higher failure rates and without good quality warranty to back it, you may struggle a little to sell it on in a years time when the 3000 series comes out.
Problem is you can’t get near 2080 money by selling a 1080ti and more to the point why bother?

The 1080ti has more RAM is on par performance wise, yes that will probably change with driver updates but not by a huge amount I’d guess.

If I was going to change I’d want a worthwhile improvement so it would be a 2080ti I’d be looking at which I won’t though because a: the lol price, b: they aren’t getting good reliability reports and c: my 1080ti is still fine for my needs even @4k.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Problem is you can’t get near 2080 money by selling a 1080ti and more to the point why bother?

The 1080ti has more RAM is on par performance wise, yes that will probably change with driver updates but not by a huge amount I’d guess.

If I was going to change I’d want a worthwhile improvement so it would be a 2080ti I’d be looking at which I won’t though because a: the lol price, b: they aren’t getting good reliability reports and c: my 1080ti is still fine for my needs even @4k.
At 4K I would probably not bother changing either. But 8gb seems to be fine with 1440p and lower. As for 1080 Ti, you never know, maybe people are paying silly money for it on eBay. Just assumed that based on what OP said, never looked into it.

Right now there is not even a handful of things one can do with ray tracing, by the time there is 3000 series will be out. So unless you really want something new to play with I would stick with the 1080 Ti also.

Caporegime
The basic, fundamental problem is that this hobby of ours is populated by too many idiots, willing to pay silly money for anything & everything the manufacturers shove out the door....

the solution is simple. game at 1080p and buy a 1060 6GB for £120 second.

it's all the people complaining prices are too expensive are the morons IMO. they don't need to play at 4K or spend £1500 on a GPU.

market is based on supply and demand. the demand is there for expensive cards so they are supplying them. it doesn't help AMD are incompetent. if they could bring some efficient competition out that was cheaper then people would switch.

Soldato
The price of the 10 series would have dropped quickly if nVidia didn't just push prices up instead of replacing the 10 series lineup with the RTX series.

Soldato
The price of the 10 series would have dropped quickly if nVidia didn't just push prices up instead of replacing the 10 series lineup with the RTX series.
The 10xx series would have been cheaper if the 2xxx series were any good!

Instead we've got a couple of mid-high cards that you dont need for any games and a high end card that is overpriced albeit fast enough for the 4k brigade that you dont need for any games apart from the new features each card has thats only good for one or two games that are not to everyones taste. As value for the customer its been a down right disaster. Its like buying an electric car with a longer lasting battery that you can charge for free (new feature) but the only free charging station that is compatible is 200 miles from where you live.

Back
Top Bottom