Why is my HP gen8 Microserver flashing Orange ?

Soldato
Why is my HP gen8 Microserver flashing Orange ?

It seams to load fine, Im still using it but I cant tell why its flashing orange.

Soldato
OP
OK the only thing, Ive found is one of the drive had data issues and needs to rebuild, I have set it to rebuild but its taking forever, its only rebuilt 0.3% in the past hour. will rebuilding overight what ive backed up a few hours ago ?

can i cancel it and let it backup from the other drive ?
also would deleting the drive and rebuilding be a better option ?

Soldato
Is this RAID 1, RAID 5, or what? Rebuild times can be extended on RAID 5 - even a week. I run my Microserver as a pair of RAID 1 arrays.

Soldato
OP
I think mine is raid (set up as mirroring).

Will the amber light still show till its done ?
Will I loose any of the data i backed up recently ?
Is it possible to cancel it and just backup what i currently have ?

Soldato
I think mine is raid (set up as mirroring).

Will the amber light still show till its done ?

I don't know.

Will I loose any of the data i backed up recently ?

If this is data backed up TO the array, then you will only lose it if another drive fails.

Is it possible to cancel it and just backup what i currently have ?

Don't bother. Putting in a new drive will engender the same rebuild time. Just be patient and let it finish

Soldato
You will have lost nothing unless it's RAID 0, then you've lost everything, that's the whole point of RAID, however if it is R1 (mirror), then it wouldn't rebuild as such without having a hot spare which you haven't mentioned. If it's R5 then it'll take a long time to rebuild, also the risk of an additional drive failing is higher and you have no spare in play.

Start off by giving us some relevant information, OS, array type and size and if you have backups (RAID is *NOT* a backup).

Soldato
That looks to me like you've got two 3 TB drives in RAID 0. As such, you've just learned why RAID 0 can be a bad idea. Backup as much as you can right now, let the controller rebuild the array, and cross your fingers that everything works out.

Soldato
It says RAID 1 - so at the moment you shouldn't have lost anything. What happens if you press F1 to attempt to retry recovery as per the boot screen?

Otherwise time to replace a disk. And make a backup...

Soldato
OP
I dont know whats happened but no drive is loading now other then the OS

I cant even Backup my data now, Is there a way to recover the data ?

Soldato
OP
It says RAID 1 - so at the moment you shouldn't have lost anything. What happens if you press F1 to attempt to retry recovery as per the boot screen?

Otherwise time to replace a disk. And make a backup...
Ok i see it now raid1 (I must have been blind due to stress)

but for some reason I cant see any drive in windows other then the OS drive so i cant backup also the drives are full so i cant recover.

edit: must have been something simple, I rebooted and a drive is showing now, what can I and should I do now ? I don't have any spare drives, can i remove the issue drive ?

Last edited:

Xez

Xez

Associate
You need a new hard drive, same make, model and size as soon as possible so the problem drive can be replaced and the raid can rebuild. without it you risk loosing everything if the other healthy drive goes. leaving the bad drive won't do any harm at the moment.

Soldato
It says RAID 1 - so at the moment you shouldn't have lost anything

Right. I misread the last image. In which case, the OP has instead learned a valuable lesson in why RAID 1 is a good idea. :)

Does it need to be the same make and model ?

Not really, though it's best. But it needs to be at least as large as the other drive. However, now may be the time to change both of them. Is the good drive readable outside of the array? If so, remove it, put in a new pair of drives as a new RAID 1 array and copy from the old disk onto the new array.

Soldato
OP
Right. I misread the last image. In which case, the OP has instead learned a valuable lesson in why RAID 1 is a good idea. :)
I did, it had me really stresses, I could not figure out what the issue was and worrying about the other possibilities.

Not really, though it's best. But it needs to be at least as large as the other drive. However, now may be the time to change both of them. Is the good drive readable outside of the array? If so, remove it, put in a new pair of drives as a new RAID 1 array and copy from the old disk onto the new array.

I don't think I could afford to replace both drives, Im going to struggle with just one. the prices have gone up a bit in the last 2 years.
which manufacturer offers the best warranty and life in NAS, is it still WD Red ?

Back
Top Bottom