Why is my insurance so expensive ?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;17262083 said:
Beans.

Spill them.

I've moved out to an area of Preston that's normally on fire, plus other issues meant I have no time to spend on cars etc, so for now it's back to the ZS, although it's had some pretty heavy work done to get it from 100ish bhp to about 160-170.

I've managed to avoid driving it for 2 days now. Woo! :p

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I've never had much luck with insurance, now serving a 9 month ban for utter stupidity I'm not looking forward to taking out insurance next year. Hopefully the utter finger in the wind nature of insurance will go in my favour for a change next year.

Soldato
My insurance quotes have gone up this year, I'm 24, I have 7 years NCB, live in an 'A' rated postcode area, no accidents or points and the best quote I have so far (from ecar) is £800, last year I paid £725! Most quotes are coming out at £1000+ and this is for TPFT not fully comp :(

Permabanned
Currently paying £600 a year, after a couple of years at over £1000.

That's with points (and not for speeding!) and only 2 years NCB, on a 170bhp car. I earned it though, it was hard not crashing my last one :p

wtf, the quote I am getting is coming out at £500 for my renewal going up £140, if you are getting that on 170bhp car mines 90bhp and I have 6NCB and never had any points.

Ridiculous this country is.

Soldato
to add a teeny bit of extra evidence to this across the board thing, I was doing various quotes at the start of august as I was planning on changing car but also got a quote on my current car..

Focus ST2
33 years old
7 years NCB
No accidents
total of 12 points to declare (4 sp30s 2 almost outside 5 years now)
Class 1 business usage

best price 2 weeks ago £586, same company now and clearly nothing has changed £666???

Permabanned
I am still fuming about it, makes you think whats the point in being law abiding, cancel insurance and drive around and hope that you dont get pulled and if you do, so what, £300 fine, few points and car impounded.

Soldato
I have the D5 version on the OP's car. The cheapest i can get on comparison websites is £700 with a £750 excess. I'm 32, 3 years NCD and no convictions. License held for 4 years. That quote is adding my mum to the policy as a named driver.

Is it any wonder that there are so many uninsured drivers and people fronting policies when you can't insure a medium sized saloon car for less than £500 with a clean license and NCD?

Associate
I have the D5 version on the OP's car. The cheapest i can get on comparison websites is £700 with a £750 excess. I'm 32, 3 years NCD and no convictions. License held for 4 years. That quote is adding my mum to the policy as a named driver.

Is it any wonder that there are so many uninsured drivers and people fronting policies when you can't insure a medium sized saloon car for less than £500 with a clean license and NCD?

because there has always been a following of people who drive uninsured, so they been effecting insurance prices for ages, unless insurance companies gather enough resources to send someone out to every person who insures a car at their renewal to check that they pose no higher risk and that no circumstances have change, the insurance companies will always rate on a average of the UK with people with the same details as you making claims ,sadly

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I doubt it back :p it's 9 months with a course, which most people opt for

That's the one :(

I'd never drive without insurance. Then again, I thought I'd never drive when I knew I was unfit but here I am, banned for 9 months, £460 out of pocked and I have another £155 to spend when I take the course to get the reduced term.

Like any other drink driver, I have no excuse. In fact I don't remember driving at all. All I can think of is that I would have thought to myself it's only 1/2 a mile home. Still, nobody was hurt, I didn't crash and I was treated fairly by all involved.

I don't go out and get drunk, it was just a one off BBQ I was invited to and I drove to take gifts etc due to the changable weather. I did feel a bit uncomfortable and must have had a lot to drink but next minuite I'm waking up in a cell at 7am feeling like death. It's scary that you can just blank out a whole night like that but I'd rather wake up in a cell that not at all.

I'll never drive somewhere where I will consume alcohol again, if I ever devide to drink again. I'm a stand up honest person who keeps his head down and is relatively quiet and I get a lot of respect. I've just lost all of that to close family and friends and it hurts, a lot. To tell your grandmother what you've done is heartbreaking for both of us... I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had hurt or killed someone.

I consider this lesson learnt. I thought I was in control of my actions, my driving license means a lot to me. When I got it I lived in a rural area and had to cycle everywhere... now I'm back living there after breaking up with my ex this year and now I've got to cycle 5+ miles to get anywhere of note. It's going to be a long 9 months and then there's the 5+ years of associated costs to go with it. I'm just hoping being 26 by the time I next take out insurance will go in my favour a bit, but I probs won't be on a Type-R or my MX-5 :(

Back
Top Bottom