Why is my insurance so expensive ?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
quite why you continued beyond your 1st or 2nd drink i'll never know.

Still lesson learnt and all that.

The intention was to leave the car there overnight and walk back for it in the morning. I wasn't even supposed to be driving home. Needless to say I won't ever be drinking that much again if at all if I'm capable of such stupid things without remembering them.

Soldato
Postcode.

Mine went up by £250 moving from an on-the-road, scummy part of Southampton to a gated car park in a nice part of Southsea.

A nice lady from Direct Line explained that all post codes have a score from 11-99 and my new address was 10 points higher than the old place. It's calculated by the number of claims and the value of those claims (among other things). She said while the new postcode probably has less claims because it's a nice area, the value of the claims are probably higher because it's a nice area and that pushes up the score.

that's just ... um .. stupid

Soldato
People saying what they are currently paying don't seem to realise prices have shot up since their last renewal.

Mine has gone down

Same, mine went down when I renewed 6 months ago

And has gone down since then as I changed cars in ~May for something better, and the amount I pay extra for it is less than what the quote difference was when I checked before getting new insurance on the old car.

Last edited:
Associate
Got my Focus insured for the year fully-comp, with business use (photographer) for £190 through esure, and my Discovery is £370, with all the off-roading mods declared. (Focus Group 5E, Disco Group 12, Area risk code A :))

Adrian Flux were having a laugh - wanted £670 for the Focus alone! Shop around. Then shop around again. moneysavingexpert.com has a good section on car insurance buying.

Last edited:
Associate
Moving from Romford to Harlow dropped my insurance £850 to £600 (25, 1 year no claims until oct). More significantly dropped my next planned purchase from £1500 to 1150 (without even shopping around further). Didnt think harlow would be a great insurance area, but obviously Romford was worse :p

Dup

Dup

Soldato
BB7 to BB6 doubled my insurance with most companies when under 25 insuring the CTR (Group 16).

Moved back to BB7 and have taken off my high risk ex (added £400 at quote time) but only dropped £50.

Ian

Ian

Associate
Well that postcode list has certainly explained why my insurance is insane. Can only get fairly reasonable quotes from the admiral group. Everyone else is waay too high given im 30 odd with 6 years no claims. Mine is listed as "Refer" lol

£750 is the cheapest i can get from elephant on an ST

Soldato
It's not just the first 3 digits of postcodes either, it's based on any/all past claims made under that address or in that specific area.

I moved from BS8 4xx to BS8 4xx and my insurance went up by £60 (only paying £350 anyway, so that's a considerable percentage). And that was literally moving to the other side of the road, and both were on-street parking, so my car would be in exactly the same place as before. Spent ages arguing on the phone about being penalised for past tenants, but didn't get anywhere.

Soldato
Out of the 3 cars I insure two went up and one went down and all were insured in July within 5 days of each other (not a fun month). The frustrating thing is the one that went down is the remapped/modified one which now costs only £250 a year to insure (G10, fully comp, restricted mileage and agreed value), two years ago that cost me £700 to insure in standard form and even on unlimited miles this year with all mods declared it'd have been just over £360 which is still almost half the price.

We've been hit on the lower grouped DSG Golf (G6) £475 and the DSG Octavia (G7) £450. We had to put the Golf on restricted mileage of 12k a year to get that after arguing over a full auto licence being a full licence for the category of vehicle being driven for the OH. So here in bizarre world it's at least £200 a year cheaper to drive a modified/mapped 2 seater mid engined RWD Roadster than an under powered oil burning family hatch/saloon.

Soldato
I just done a quote on a 2003 Vectra which im getting at the end of the month, £650 on my own fully comp, 4 years NCB, £300 X/s, as soon as i put my fiance on there it went up to £1000 +. reading the news lately insurance prices are set to rise further :(

Associate
like most things its the insurance companies rates that effect your price, if you got a group 16 doesnt mean its gonna be cheaper than a group 22

same with postcodes, the websites that give you the indication of your postcode if its good or bad can really be that accurate as insurance rates change every couple of day to every couple of weeks, hence why you have expiry dates on quotes

Back
Top Bottom