Why is the Deskstar 7K4000 so much on OCUK?

Soldato
Maybe they were purchased in at a higher cost price and they are working on First In First Out (FIFO).
If your buying in stock in a volatile market then sometimes the market is going to work against you i.e. fall more after you purchase. That doesn't change the cost of whats already been bought, therefore FIFO means it takes time for new purchasing to feed through to a new retail price. Cheaper prices elsewhere maybe due to those businesses not carrying stock, (even in cases where they say they do). Those businesses may be dealing with fresher stock or selling against supplier held stock so they're only purchasing at the time of a sale.

Soldato
only because it's on a this week only offer

Itll probably drop down to £280 as a main price within a week or so.

Issue is, with these drives you can buy 2 sorts. Official and grey. Most companies buy "grey" so you only get 1 year warranty as Hitachi wont deal with an out of region product.

OcUK buy official for premium products such as this as the warranty on something as expensive as this is important. Who wants to spend £250 to find out 14months later that they have no warranty? I certainly wouldnt.

Associate
OP
Prices drop and go up all the time, its an online shop!

Tomorrow it could be £300, it could be £200. We cant control this.

I know, I was just having a laugh:) I will order at 275 but it doesn't mention warrenty so thats why I'm asking.

If I got one, is there an easy and free way of transfering my data from my 1tb drive and swapping drive letters so new one has the letter of my cureent 1tb drive so windows doesn't throw a strop loading games ect?

Ta

Soldato
I know, I was just having a laugh:) I will order at 275 but it doesn't mention warrenty so thats why I'm asking.

If I got one, is there an easy and free way of transfering my data from my 1tb drive and swapping drive letters so new one has the letter of my cureent 1tb drive so windows doesn't throw a strop loading games ect?

Ta

Clone it (google) and change drive letters around in the management console (right click my computer, manage, disk management then start right clicking on the bars at the bottom showing the drives, you should find it soon enough) you'll need to make the current drive another letter first then set the new drive as having the old ones drive letter (eg E: old, F: new -> Z: old, F: new -> Z: old, E: new).

Last edited:
Soldato
What reason do you need a 4GB drive when you could have two Seagate Barracuda 3TB drives for less ??

Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 4TB drive = £274.99 inc VAT
Two Seagate Barracuda 3TB drives = £269.98 inc VAT

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom