Why the hell are crossbows legal in the UK?

Soldato
I've just had a crossbow delivered. I had an idea of the power of the thing, but I underestimated - it's stupidly powerful.

It's generating about 130 ftlbs of energy across my chrono (450grain bolts @ 370fps). I bought it on-line with no real id checks. My first backstop was a huge roll of carpet 10 yards away on my range (fully enclosed on three sides). The 20" bolts went in almost up to the flights :eek:

After sighting in I'm getting a decent 1" group at 35 yards, but the bolts are still going 8" into layer after layer after layer of old carpet.

I knew what I was getting when I bought this thing, but any Joe Bloggs can buy one of these crossbows and use it in their garden. You might think that a phone book will stop the bolt - not an ****** chance - they go straight through. 2" of pine - blammo - in and out :eek: A flimsy backstop and a few mm of feather edged fence will not stop the bolts going straight through :eek:

The power of these unlicensed, uncontrolled crossbows is terrifying.

These things need some serious legislation.

FWIW I'm used to shooting fullbore (bullet) guns and shot guns (with all the associated checks/hoops to jump through), but I'm just staggered that I bought this thing with no checks what-so-ever!

Last edited:
Soldato
/giggle

I vaguely remember a story too...

The restrictions on weapons and RIFs in this country are strange at times.

Soldato
OP
Don't forget that a UK non-licenced air-gun produces no more than 12FtLbs of energy and you need id when buying a new one. These crossbows are seriously scary, especially as there are no id checks when buying one :eek:

12FtLbs and id to buy vs 130FtLbs with no id what-so ever :eek:

How many deaths have been reported that have been caused by sub 12FtLbs air-guns?

Back
Top Bottom