Why Vista Sucks...

Caporegime
Yewen said:
It is still in Beta is it not?

Basic design for functionality is something thats supposed to be done before the programming starts. Betas supposed to be making sure everything is working correctly and for minor changes.

JonRohan said:
If its so crap make something yourself.

We cant which is why the people at microsoft should be doing stuff properly considering their being paid to do it and out of our own pocket since after all we are being forced to use vista. Some of the problems arent even because of the programming but poor design.

Last edited:
Associate
err winfs has been canned...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/26/winfs_axed/

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Orchant/?p=142

Apparently they couldn't get the database to operate safely in the event of system failure.

As for dx10 I suspect the decision to release solely on vista is a marketing one not a techinical one. M$ are really throwing the cash about to get game developers to move to dx10/vista, I suspect some serious money is changing hands to cover the "relearning" costs...

akakjs

Soldato
DX10 requires LDDM (Longhorn Driver Development Model) which cannot be backported because it is closely tied to the NT v6.0 kernel.

Energize said:
We cant which is why the people at microsoft should be doing stuff properly considering their being paid to do it and out of our own pocket since after all we are being forced to use vista. Some of the problems arent even because of the programming but poor design.
Can you elaborate on that last bit?

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yup there is no way dx10 can work on anything else but vista because of the new driver model build from the ground up in vista. This means more stability and better performance for directx games so it's better for us gamers too.

I don't think cost is an issue here either for vista, I mean you're going to have the OS for at least 5 years minimum and if you account for the fact that a piece of software or a game costs £30 and that the next new version costs an additional £30 or so to upgrade to then the cost of an OS even if it's £200 is pretty fair considering all updates to it are free..

Associate
Energize said:
Basic design for functionality is something thats supposed to be done before the programming starts. Betas supposed to be making sure everything is working correctly and for minor changes.
Actually, I'd say that for a product like an operating system, the Beta stage is where most of the UI problems are worked out. Given the enormous number of users, it's always going to be difficult to adequately specify the UI requirements and design such that most people are happy, so putting it out there to the masses is a great way of finding out what works and what doesn't.

I suspect most of the underlying design is abstracted away from the UI, so fiddling with interfaces will be fairly straightforward. Apparently in the latest released build, the network centre has been reworked to remove a lot of the problems that have been reported. They're also reworking UAC to achieve a better balance between security and functionality (BTW, it's worth reading up on exactly what UAC does, and why you shouldn't turn it off during the Beta, even though it is annoying).

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

Let me just add to this whole Windows Vista thread, can anybody remember when XP came out? ..... yes this thread is exactly the same as when xp came out but xp was been ranted about. Just wait till its released officially and then comment on it, tis only beta. Wait see what else theres to bring. :mad:

Permabanned
I'm not going to buy it unless they upgrade Clippy to a fully textured animated figure (with hair), that old 2D effort wasn't worth the cycles imo.

Hopefully they will use the same user interface team as XP, then I can play "hide and seek with the menus" again.

seriously:
I'd like a simple way off turning all the toys, and setting some program defaults without having to mess with .reg files all the time. They seem to have ignored the people who have to support this stuff.

Soldato
Energize said:

You don't have to use Vista. You've got Linux, Mac OS X. Whats stopping you from moving away from MS platforms?

Associate
Energize said:
I remember how complicated it was using vista when I tried to create a home network, in xp it was as simple as doing a quick wizard but now theres about 50 buttons, private network, public network etc... I thought vista was supposed to be an easy to use operating system. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind the version they have released for beta is the ultimate version meant for die hard computer geeks and top of the line companies, the lower versions will be more user friendly (by removing some of the more complex features) and have more simplified features like you suggest.

Soldato
Beta's are only ever meant to advertise some of the capabilities that will be in the full release, Vista's aim is mainly to promote it's Aero interface and display new features avaliable in some if not all of the 5 new editions.

In all fairness Gandalf501 reading through the initial post it sounds like you have forgotton that this release isnt final and changes will be made according the users opinions of the product. That is in essense one of the main purposes of a Beta pogram.

If you want to winge at least wait till its been released, but dont slate a product before its even been released.

Associate
Actually, if you want to whinge it's best to do it now. Just not on a random forum somewhere -- use a means where Microsoft will hear about your gripes (either use the Vista bug reporting tool, or comment on one of the MS developer blogs).

Too many times I hear of people complaining about Beta software, but don't do anything about it.

Associate
Just adding my 2 pence....

I'm IT systems admin.... I'm used to learning the new OS's and server's....

When 95 came along I hated the layout... put all my icons on the desktop (lots and lots of em)

98 came out, no real improvement except PNP
98SE for me was pants, I kept killing my PC in 2 weeks coz i hammerd it so hard - went back to original 98
ME came out and I thaught it was a god send (most people didn't like ME) Faster boot, BETTER PnP, BETTER games support.... ect...
XP, yes I get ME with security! ok so the've moved a few things a round....

VISTA,
RC1 blue screened after first reboot and corrupted my rarther full 200gb hard drive - not a good start
RC2 installed on my laptop at work... I can't repeat on here what I said when I saw the download for it was 3.7GB and when it finished installing it's 7gb... sidebar is pants at the moment... I can't add my works laptop onto works domain... I can't find all the network setting... no tried games yet (it's works laptop!) made everythin rounded as with messenger live, office 2007, IE 7... ect..... I'm basically completely lost when I boot vista... I have noticed the drive encription which is a nice thing though I bet it not going to be strong enough....
As for DX10, well, if MS wanna release it ONLY for vista then thats one way of FORCING us to buy vista....

Alternates.... macOS but limited on games.... Linux limited on 'normal' games....
games manufacturers really need to stop producing cheep games produced by 'visual basic' style design programs and start to learn C and get some decent coding done... that way they 'could' release the source code (like ID did the linux port for Quake 2)....

BTW, macOS is a 'modified' linux kernel.... (i'll get roasted for that one!).... LINUX POWER!

If games manufacturers gave us the option linux or ms then most gamers would proberbly tell MS where to go....
The only thing I use MS windows for at home is games and MX studio (Dreamweaver, webdesign).... linux has it's free office that can import ms office files....

As for backward compatability, it taked the michael that all my PC's are backward compatable to an 8086..... The IRQ part of the northbridge is still 'cascaded' in the same was it was when they first had the bright idea... same goes for the DMA controller aswell.... (sorry technical bit!)
Thats where MAC's come in, but even so, they still offer 'some' backward compatability.... MAC OS is going to go like windows is....

Linux, yes you can install it on a P1, the kernel supports you compiling for that hardware.... but you don't loose speed with having it.... your only re-compiling the source code with optimisations for new processor instructions (commands)

And now, I'm worked up enough to necesitate the mass slaughter and blood shed in Quake 4.... see you in-server....

Man of Honour
yoda said:
<Big snip>

Agreed. I have a Windows machine and a Linux machine. My wife has a PowerMac. Windows only gets used for games and as I have less and less time to play them nowadays, I simply haven't booted into it for ages.

I won't be upgrading to Vista unless there is a compelling reason to do so. I disagree with MS's far too strict DRM (Digital Restrictions Management ;)) but can understand them doing it. But the nail in the coffin for me is Halo3 and DX10 already being announced as Vista only. There is no technical reason whatsoever than they can't be backported to XP, regardless of a change in driver structure.

Having used OSX and Linux for some time now I actually prefer the way they do things compared to XP anyway. I suspect there could be many users thinking the same way soon.

Associate
JonRohan said:
The proof will be in the final release, which I think its going to be awesome.

Its funny how most of the people here don't have a clue on what goes on to make such complicated software.

If its so crap make something yourself.
I agree with your point of view.

I was running it earlier today and despite my PC being a few years out of date, it only ran a little slower than XP.

One thing I did notice was that my internet connection only seemed around half as fast but apart from that I liked it and will definently be upgrading to the 64 bit version when it's released.

Back
Top Bottom